Why become a member? ×

Recommend me an affordable 4 string acoustic

Twigman

I could be in the market for an acoustic 4 string.
I'd prefer a 34" scale if possible but recognise this isn't 'normal' for acoustics.
I like jazz width necks - my favourite neck is my Status Jazz neck.
I'd prefer a fretted neck.
I'd like it to be quite loud as an acoustic (no amp required in a front room say with acoustic six string and some simple percussion)
I don't want the body to be too big nor for it to be a stretch around the body for the plucking hand.
I'd like it to be well balanced and comfortable to sit without a strap without it sliding off...

Budget around £400 max I suppose.

What would you recommend???

Edited by Twigman

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1473290667' post='3128857']
I could be in the market for an acoustic 4 string.
I'd prefer a 34" scale if possible but recognise this isn't 'normal' for acoustics.
I like jazz width necks - my favourite neck is my Status Jazz neck.
I'd prefer a fretted neck.
I'd like it to be quite loud as an acoustic (no amp required in a front room say with acoustic six string and some simple percussion)
I don't want the body to be too big nor for it to be a stretch around the body for the plucking hand.
I'd like it to be well balanced and comfortable to sit without a strap without it sliding off...

Budget around £400 max I suppose.

What would you recommend???
[/quote]

I went to buy one a couple of years ago - tried a few out in a local shop and went for a Tanglewood TAB 1 CE. Can't remember the others I tried, but one was an Ibanez very similar to the one you've linked to, and it neither played nor sounded as nice as the Tanglewood.

I bought it with the intention of backing my other half with it when she was into doing open mic nights, but ended up just using the electric and a small combo. Ended up giving it to her mum who really likes it - her house is in a terrace, so low volume jams are a more common occurrence at hers than at my place, where we don't really have to worry about the neighbours too much.

Volume wise - it does OK against an acoustic guitar or two up close, but any distance away and the bass soon gets lost. Fine for practice / jam stuff but pointless for playing to an audience with unless you amp it up.

Size wise - It's definitely chunky, but perfectly manageable. Easy for me as I'm 6'3" and have fairly long arms, but the gf's mum is a shortarse and copes with it fine.
I'm pretty sure its a 34" scale. Neck is definitely chunkier than a Jazz, nut is 42mm. It plays more like a well setup electric than I ever expected it would though.

It's worth considering one of these - I'm happy with mine:

http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/vintage-vcb-430-26531

I find it hard to play quietly - there's a lot of distinctive growly resonance in that big hollow body. And plugged in it loses that sound, so if I have to amplify it I use a mic in front.

If you want to play it on a strap, you'll have to fix the strap end to the headstock, not the body - there's an unavoidable lack of balance between a light hollow body, and a headstock with all its metalwork at the end of a long neck. That's why a lot of them only have one strap pin. I find mine steady and comfortable to sit with, and I'm sort of middle-sized with middle-length arms.

See also

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/180569-acoustic-basses/

although most of the recommendations there are for a higher budget.

A year or so ago I spend an afternoon in Andertons trying all their acoustic basses. The cream of the crop £500ish price bracket was a Faith Titan Neptune bass which I took home with me that afternoon. Felt much nice to me than the Takamine which I did not like at all.

Very simple but effective Shadow pickup and tone system. All round lovely bass. Plays great and sounds great both acoustically and plugged in. Came with the case...

Edited by TrevorR

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1473631820' post='3131902']
The cream of the crop £500ish price bracket was a Faith Titan Neptune bass
[/quote]
Make that £845 - way over budget
[url="https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/FAITHFTNE/acoustic-basses/faith-titan-neptune-natural-series-electro-acoustic-bass"]https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/FAITHFTNE/acoustic-basses/faith-titan-neptune-natural-series-electro-acoustic-bass[/url]