Jump to content


Ampeg SVT 4pro alternatives...


19 replies to this topic

#1 moonbass

    Fully fledged member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cambridge

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:30 AM

Hi,
I've got massive GAS for an SVT 4pro; have done for years. Thing is, I know they're more powerful than I really need, really bloomin' heavy, and very expensive for what they are. But, nothing's ever given me the same visceral pleasure to play through (usually at festivals or studios). I owned an SVT 3pro, but it didn't really do it for me. I currently own a MarkBass Randy Jackson 800, and love it to bits, but the tone shaping is non-existent, and it doesn't have the old school transistor heft.
So really I'm asking you all to talk me out if it (or not!), and if possible suggest a more practical solution that will still get the blood pumping. Gallien-Kruger, Ashdown, Aguilar, Mesa? Wotcha reckon?
Andy

#2 M@23

    Very Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 10 September 2016 - 06:42 PM

I don't really know Ampeg and I'm sure you've considered it... But, 7 Pro? Is that a smaller lighter version?

#3 paul_5

    Kaye Baiter Extrordinaire

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,937 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ramsbottom, Lancashire.
  • Interests:Pumice Disaster

Posted 10 September 2016 - 07:12 PM

How much power do you need?
Feedback
SWR, DHA, Barefaced & little boxes full of Doctortweek's lovely bits.

#4 moonbass

    Fully fledged member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cambridge

Posted 10 September 2016 - 07:36 PM

Enough to drive a Bergantino NV610 which is rated up to 800w I think, but anywhere from 300-800w would be fine. The 7pro is certainly a possibility but I think I'd always be thinking about the 4pro. I've never played a GK 1001rb, but always think that sound the business when I hear one. Anyone any experience? I note someone's got a 4pro up for sale for not many monies on here since I started this thread, so if they have any thoughts I'd be interested.

#5 M@23

    Very Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 10 September 2016 - 09:52 PM

For a 6x10... just get the 4 Pro you want! Then there'll be no wondering what if or settling for second best. If you're moving a big cab you might as well have the amp to go with it.

#6 Twincam

    Very Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Durham
  • Interests:Bass playing and repair. Lifting heavy objects. Music in general.

Posted 10 September 2016 - 11:08 PM

Isn't the svt 4 pro alternative the Bugera btx 36000 (The Nuke) lol. Which is a clone but not a direct copy. Some people seem to rate them. Think the real rating on these were measured at half bugera's ratings so 1800w. Apparently tested on talkbass at 1500w rms so plenty of power.
https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B0024OS6T2

When I was after a Ampeg svt 3 pro I bought the Bugera version (bvp 5500) as I honestly thought and still do that it's a better amp. And I had played a few ampeg 3 pro's too. And I could of afforded the ampeg but at almost 1/5th the price I thought I would give the bugera a go and honestly glad I did.

Edited by Twincam, 10 September 2016 - 11:17 PM.

A wise google translation once said.
"Often musicians and any Poser express derogatory first if you arrive by Behringer equipment"

#7 moonbass

    Fully fledged member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cambridge

Posted 11 September 2016 - 12:02 AM

The Bugeras really are too cheap to be true aren't they? Mind you, Behringer really has upped their game and I use their pro audio stuff so maybe...

#8 Twincam

    Very Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Durham
  • Interests:Bass playing and repair. Lifting heavy objects. Music in general.

Posted 11 September 2016 - 12:49 AM

View Postmoonbass, on 11 September 2016 - 12:02 AM, said:

The Bugeras really are too cheap to be true aren't they? Mind you, Behringer really has upped their game and I use their pro audio stuff so maybe...

Well there guitar stuff is well thought of. Plenty of people also rate there bass stuff. And there other pro audio products as you say have a good rep.
Having had a look inside mine I think it's very well built and designed.
I think the truth is they save money buy copying other well known designs or using there tried and tested modular parts. Using generic components and made in large quantities and there qc is probably less than other brands. Also your not paying a premium on a brand name.
The Bugera range is there better gear and seems to be a step up from the standard Berhinger line.

In the case of the Bugera btx 36000 there are real gig reports on forums etc people do like them and say they have plenty of power!
Most people are angry as bugera rated the power at 3600w when the power ratings are approx half that figure. They seem to have a habit of that so they get a backlash which I agree with. Also there past history wasn't as good. But it seems since Bugera products arrived they started to change for the better. They are now a matured manufacturing company maybe. And every new product they launch seems a little bit better at least there higher end lines are.
Although ripping off other companies designs both circuitry and aesthetics as closely as they have done and continue to do is a bit wrong, It does pass on a huge saving to the customer while also having a relatively good product.

I think you can only try these things and see for yourself.
A wise google translation once said.
"Often musicians and any Poser express derogatory first if you arrive by Behringer equipment"

#9 Lozz196

    Basschat Lifer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,831 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hemel Hempstead, Herts (J8 on M1)

Posted 11 September 2016 - 10:01 AM

Without wanting to appear forward I have an Aguilar AG500 2-channel amp that I`m probably going to be moving on soon. I`ve paid my sellers fees on here so not looking to avoid that. Does pretty much an aggressive Ampeggy type tone in a much lighter/more portable way.
Fender, Rotosound, Ashdown, Tech21, Barefaced, OBBM/Rock-Wire

My Feedback http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry1802027

Playing Bass for Knock Off - https://knockoff.wix.com/knockoff

Knock Off Jan 2017 Gigs:
Sat 07 Jan - The Flag, Watford
Sun 15 Jan, The 100 Club, Oxford St, London (supporting The Lurkers)

#10 Raslee

    The rain in Spain falls mainly on....Devon

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tropical Devon UK
  • Interests:Bass, MX5's, AMHP social work, sleeping :)

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:10 PM

Some years back i replaced my pro4 for an Orange Terror bass...i did A/B them for a while and thought they were very similar.
Muzik:
An Electronica reggae type thing to generate the G.A.S,
...and a few soulful deps that create some stomach GAS

Basses:
Andre van der End Jazz
Fenderish bitsa 68 replica Jazz
Fender Classic 50's Precision
Lakland 44-64 Precision
Musicman Stingray
NS WAV EUB
Amps:
Markbass MultiAmp Mono
Markbass 104HF,
Markbass Traveler 102P
Orange Terror Bass 500


My Basschat Feedback.

#11 sirmuppet

    Fully fledged member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 09:09 AM

View PostRaslee, on 15 September 2016 - 09:10 PM, said:

Some years back i replaced my pro4 for an Orange Terror bass...i did A/B them for a while and thought they were very similar.

What Cab are you using with that? I have the Terror Bass 500 and a OBC115 and can get no where near an SVT 4 sound.

View Postmoonbass, on 11 September 2016 - 12:02 AM, said:

The Bugeras really are too cheap to be true aren't they? Mind you, Behringer really has upped their game and I use their pro audio stuff so maybe...

I just picked up a Bugera BTX36000 for a very cheap price. I have to say it's a stunningly good sounding amp. Weighs a ton though. For the price it would be hard to beat. You actually get no where near the wattage it says but it's got more than enough power to gig one or run multiple cabs live.

The sound sculpting you can do is amazing. I mean there's so many options to get the sound you want. I think as an alternative to the SVT 4 it's a winner.
Fender Precision Bass Special 2001
Gibson Thunderbird 2005
Custom Bastardbird 2006

Fender Mike Dirnt Bass 2008
EBMM Stingray 2EQ 2009
Fender USA Precision Bass 2009
Fender USA Precision Bass 2013
Fender Mark Hoppus Bass 2013
Fender JB62/FCH Jazz Bass 2014
Fender Kingman Bass

Orange Terror Bass 500
Orange OBC115


Barefaced Super T

Basschat feedback: http://basschat.co.u...-for-sirmuppet/
Ebay feedback: http://feedback.ebay...&userid=ferengo

#12 Fisheth

    The one who knocks

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Newcastle Upon Tyne.
  • Interests:Ashdown, Barefaced,Fender and Mensinger gear.

Posted 17 September 2016 - 09:54 AM

View PostTwincam, on 11 September 2016 - 12:49 AM, said:

Well there guitar stuff is well thought of. Plenty of people also rate there bass stuff. And there other pro audio products as you say have a good rep.
Having had a look inside mine I think it's very well built and designed.
I think the truth is they save money buy copying other well known designs or using there tried and tested modular parts. Using generic components and made in large quantities and there qc is probably less than other brands. Also your not paying a premium on a brand name.
The Bugera range is there better gear and seems to be a step up from the standard Berhinger line.

In the case of the Bugera btx 36000 there are real gig reports on forums etc people do like them and say they have plenty of power!
Most people are angry as bugera rated the power at 3600w when the power ratings are approx half that figure. They seem to have a habit of that so they get a backlash which I agree with. Also there past history wasn't as good. But it seems since Bugera products arrived they started to change for the better. They are now a matured manufacturing company maybe. And every new product they launch seems a little bit better at least there higher end lines are.
Although ripping off other companies designs both circuitry and aesthetics as closely as they have done and continue to do is a bit wrong, It does pass on a huge saving to the customer while also having a relatively good product.

I think you can only try these things and see for yourself.

From other forums I've been on the Bugera's have many, many reliability issues.
Gear:

Amps and Cabs:
Ashdown CTM100
Ashdown Mag 410 (UK)
Barefaced Super Compact

Basses:
MIJ Fender Geddy Lee
MIM Fender Steve Harris
MIJ Fender Steve Harris
Maruszczyk Custom Jake
Mensinger Custom Speesy (soon)

#13 Twincam

    Very Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Durham
  • Interests:Bass playing and repair. Lifting heavy objects. Music in general.

Posted 17 September 2016 - 05:12 PM

View PostFisheth, on 17 September 2016 - 09:54 AM, said:



From other forums I've been on the Bugera's have many, many reliability issues.

I believe they did have a few issues in the past, however it seems they have got there act together.
From my own experience and from what I've heard they are more reliable than many other brands if you look at how many they pump out and the fact they are a budget brand. And they shift that many units there's gonna be some on forums who complain.
There was some stats somewhere on thomann on bugera returns etc and as far as I can recall they were better than bigger brands.
The factory at Berhinger city is impressive. They test there products pretty hard apprently. There is a few factory tours on YouTube. There valve testing room is pretty cool and unbelievable that they even make there own speaker cone material etc
A wise google translation once said.
"Often musicians and any Poser express derogatory first if you arrive by Behringer equipment"

#14 moonbass

    Fully fledged member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cambridge

Posted 19 September 2016 - 05:41 AM

Well, I went for the second hand USA SVT 4PRO, and I have no idea why I have wasted 30 years messing around with gear switching and GAS; this is what bass is supposed to sound like! Running it through my Bergantino NV610 and it sounds warm, and 'burpy' yet somehow nicely scooped. Perfect one knob compression, loads of tonal options (although sounds perfect flat). It's not even as heavy as I remembered! And it's so different to the SVT 3PRO in all the right ways.
One final small, but also weirdly massive point that so many manufacturers get wrong, the volume knob actually lets you dial in low volumes; I've found all my previous amps went from zero to loud in about a millimetre! I can practice even with this massive rig without upsetting the neighbours (much...)
Why does nothing else sound like this?!

#15 longtimefred

    Fully fledged member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Stoke On Trent

Posted 20 September 2016 - 07:30 PM

Nice one. Ampeg all the way. If you ever think it's getting heavy, carry around a svt 2 pro for 2 minutes and you will think yours is a car stereo lol. Mine weighs in at 45kg with the flightcase.

Enjoy it!

Hands - Bass - Lead - Tuner - Amp - Cab - Done! .


#16 moonbass

    Fully fledged member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cambridge

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:13 PM

Have you ever compared the PRO2 with the PRO4? How do they stack up?

#17 longtimefred

    Fully fledged member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Stoke On Trent

Posted 21 September 2016 - 03:36 PM

 moonbass, on 20 September 2016 - 08:13 PM, said:

Have you ever compared the PRO2 with the PRO4? How do they stack up?

i've not used both but have gigged with a few guys running the 4 pro and i've always been impressed by them. The big valve Ampegs are always gonna be the ones for me though as they are just beasts!

Hands - Bass - Lead - Tuner - Amp - Cab - Done! .


#18 dmccombe7

    Very Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lanark

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:08 PM

View Postmoonbass, on 19 September 2016 - 05:41 AM, said:

Well, I went for the second hand USA SVT 4PRO, and I have no idea why I have wasted 30 years messing around with gear switching and GAS; this is what bass is supposed to sound like! Running it through my Bergantino NV610 and it sounds warm, and 'burpy' yet somehow nicely scooped. Perfect one knob compression, loads of tonal options (although sounds perfect flat). It's not even as heavy as I remembered! And it's so different to the SVT 3PRO in all the right ways.
One final small, but also weirdly massive point that so many manufacturers get wrong, the volume knob actually lets you dial in low volumes; I've found all my previous amps went from zero to loud in about a millimetre! I can practice even with this massive rig without upsetting the neighbours (much...)
Why does nothing else sound like this?!

I bought one few yrs back as had same thoughts as you. Had used them in studios and always dreamed of getting one. Had the chance of a US one which was 110V but had an external transformer. Tech in Glasgow changed the transformer for me and it was brilliant. I did however find it was never as powerful as i expected altho still more than enough for anything i needed. I was using it with my Berg HT322 cab (another piece of heavy kit :lol: )
In past 6mths it started to cut out and eventually stopped altogether. Replaced the valves and after some checks found the Pre-amp section works ok so must be on power side.
Where i'm going with it is that its now left me having reliability doubts added to the weight its probably never gonna be repaired.
I also have the GK 1001RBii and it doesn't compare tonally with the SVT4. Its a great amp and quite flex but its cleaner than the SVT4..
I now tend to use my Markbass rig which running flat gives me a nice warm sound with my jazz and seems to cut the mix better than either the SVT or GK amps.

Dave
Basses :-
Dingwall NG2, Warwick Thumb NT 89 (EMG's), Overwater Progress 6 custom fretless, Overwater Contemporary J4, Fender Jazz, Jaydee Roadie II fretless, Peavey Cirrus Tiger eye 5, Epiphone Thunderbird.
Amps :-
Markbass CMD121P, NY121, Ampeg SVT4 Pro, GK 1001RBii, GK MB-200, Bergantino HT322.
Effects :-
Aphex Comprressor, Roland GT-6B, TC electronics Delay & Reverb pedals

FEEDBACK :- http://basschat.co.uk/topic/137230-feedback-for-dmccombe7

#19 dmccombe7

    Very Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lanark

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:13 PM

View Postmoonbass, on 20 September 2016 - 08:13 PM, said:

Have you ever compared the PRO2 with the PRO4? How do they stack up?

Have used both with 8x10 cabs in studios for rehearsals and found the SVT2 had a warmer deeper sound but slightly muddier than the SVT4.
I was able to get more tone changes with the SVT4 and thought the SVT2 was more a one tone amp even tho it had similar controls.
Maybe the SVT2 just had a sound i quite liked and didn't need to experiment with it too much.
The SVT4 i had to tweak controls to get the sound i was really looking for.
Did find the graphic was a bit of overkill and never really needed to use it unless set up for soloing in a song and just switch it on / off as required.

Dave
Basses :-
Dingwall NG2, Warwick Thumb NT 89 (EMG's), Overwater Progress 6 custom fretless, Overwater Contemporary J4, Fender Jazz, Jaydee Roadie II fretless, Peavey Cirrus Tiger eye 5, Epiphone Thunderbird.
Amps :-
Markbass CMD121P, NY121, Ampeg SVT4 Pro, GK 1001RBii, GK MB-200, Bergantino HT322.
Effects :-
Aphex Comprressor, Roland GT-6B, TC electronics Delay & Reverb pedals

FEEDBACK :- http://basschat.co.uk/topic/137230-feedback-for-dmccombe7

#20 gillento

    Fully fledged member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Luxembourg, EU mainland

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:35 PM

Mesa Walkabout or Ashdown ABM!
Performance starts with conviction!
------------------
www.danielbalthasar.com
my basschat feedback
my ebay feedback
my Talkbass feedback





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users