Why become a member? ×

Hot Pink Dingwall NG-2!

dannybuoy

The prototype yellow NG2 built for Nolly had a dark (ebony?) fretboard and looked mega. At Nolly's request it was replaced with maple. I preferred the look of the dark fretboard.
The slots in the pickguard are inspired by the Ferrari Testerosa (from a Sheldon / Nolly interview on youtube).

These basses are assembled in China, but I've seen photos of them in the Canadian workshop completely stripped (ie necks removed) for fettling and fine tuning.

My NG2 plays plays just as nicely as my ABZ - but there are quality differences as you would expect.

Even so, its still got the best B string I have ever played.

Not sure on the pink though...and I play a [b][color=#00ff00]GREEN[/color][/b] one!

Own a Leguna Seca Blue NG2 and was thinking of selling it to get a pink one but looks like my gigging days are behind me. Pickgaurds are only carbon fibre print to avoid all of the nasty splinters you'd get it is was real carbon fibre.

The first batch of these was sent back to China as Sheldon wasn't happy with the quality, so I think that even though they are "made in China" they are still being made to a very high standard. I have to say I am very happy with mine, as has been said many times, that B string is a pleasure to play. So tight and responsive. Have a d-tuner on mine and its still so solid. Last Warwick I had with one went all floppy when you dropped it that it clunked all over the place. Was a real shame because the tone of that bass was beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a V1 Combustion, which I used in part exchange with the late Colgraff of this very forum (may he rest in peace) to obtain my Super J, and later bought a Super P. The Combustion is very high quality - the Supers are exceptional. The main reason I traded up was that I wanted the medium scale rather than the long scale.

Sheldon Dingwall is very open about the fact that the Combustion is made overseas, and also open about that fact that its introduction was necessary to keep the company going when the economy was making high end basses a difficult sell. All Dingwalls from both Canada and China begin with CNC, and then the rest is done by hand. The basics of Combustions are done in China to high standards due to the lower labour costs, and the critical setup and QC is done in Canada. It's a bit like what I do when I get a new bass, of sending it to my tech to be taken apart, checked, optimised and set up to perfection except Dingwall do that themselves in Canada. Sheldon calls it an international bass which I think is apt.