Why become a member? ×

Hot Pink Dingwall NG-2!

dannybuoy

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1473344785' post='3129362']
I just do not seem to like Dingwall's approach to style or tone. Now it seems they are venturing further into the really heavy spectrum of metal...I've seen a few videos of NG and whilst he can play quickly, it just does nothing for me.

A very brave colour!

...and people said the Bongo was odd looking!
[/quote]
Watch more of NG , his playing can get very technical and is so much more than fast playing! Being primarily a guitarist he plays his bass more that way perhaps, but very talented indeed.

These basses are certainly love/hate but superb basses for the money.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1473369383' post='3129624']

Watch more of NG , his playing can get very technical and is so much more than fast playing! Being primarily a guitarist he plays his bass more that way perhaps, but very talented indeed.

These basses are certainly love/hate but superb basses for the money.
[/quote]

Oh he is talented, but as soon as I saw him play I knew he was a guitarist playing bass like a guitar...which is something I don't really gel with. I play bass mainly, but when I play guitar I play it totally differently.

Problem is as soon as you add intense grind and distortion to these basses, (any bass almost) they almost all sound the same!

I just don't dig the modern super heavy shred stuff. Of course loads of people do! Super fast players? Much prefer A Wilhelm Scream's Brian Robinson.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1473417766' post='3129996']
I love it - I'd happily gig one of those!

I've always found the NG series a bit expensive for a made in China instrument though.
[/quote]

Is that where they are made?!?!?!?

China make fantastic instruments, in fact they make a lot of fantastic products, but something doesn't sit right with those prices.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1473418239' post='3130004']

Is that where they are made?!?!?!?

China make fantastic instruments, in fact they make a lot of fantastic products, but something doesn't sit right with those prices.
[/quote]

It's in the small print:

SPECIFICATIONS:
•Dingwall made in Canada FD3n pickups*
•Darkglass 3-band pre-amp, active/passive switch
•Rotary 4 way pickup selector bridge, both parallel, both series, neck)
•Dingwall USA strings - buy HERE
•Alder body - Black Finish
•Maple Fingerboard - 37 - 34" scale
•Black dots
•Carbon Fibre pickguard
•Banjo frets
•NOVAX® FANNED-FRET SYSTEM™ (see below)
•Five piece maple neck
•Black nickel hardware
•Hipshot licensed tuners
•Manufactured in China
•Final set up at Dingwall Shop in Canada

Manufactured in China but finished in Canada.

I agree that it's possible to get quality stuff from China but they tend to be cheaper than Korea and Indonesia simply because labour costs are dirt cheap.

They do nicer colours - Lambo Orange, Seca Blue, Ferrari Red, some sort of violent Green, and White too. They are nice, although I think I prefer the standard Combustion. It's not just the NGs that are made in China - all the Combustions are - the NGs are just a sub-model of the Combustion range. They even share the same pickup rout under the scratchplate to save on cost.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1473418861' post='3130016']
It's in the small print:

SPECIFICATIONS:
•Dingwall made in Canada FD3n pickups*
•Darkglass 3-band pre-amp, active/passive switch
•Rotary 4 way pickup selector bridge, both parallel, both series, neck)
•Dingwall USA strings - buy HERE
•Alder body - Black Finish
•Maple Fingerboard - 37 - 34" scale
•Black dots
•Carbon Fibre pickguard
•Banjo frets
•NOVAX® FANNED-FRET SYSTEM™ (see below)
•Five piece maple neck
•Black nickel hardware
•Hipshot licensed tuners
•Manufactured in China
•Final set up at Dingwall Shop in Canada

Manufactured in China but finished in Canada.

I agree that it's possible to get quality stuff from China but they tend to be cheaper than Korea and Indonesia simply because labour costs are dirt cheap.
[/quote]

Interesting angle. I don't think its fair to say Dingwall hide it in the smallprint, the combustion basses are half the price of the next range and its in the specs. They are all set up professionally in Canada as well bear in mind.

I find that in China you get exactly what you pay for. A £1.3K bass built in China is a £1.3k bass, as opposed to basses built in the UK/US/Germany/Canada, where value for money varies wildly!

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1473422160' post='3130073']
Interesting angle. I don't think its fair to say Dingwall hide it in the smallprint, the combustion basses are half the price of the next range and its in the specs. They are all set up professionally in Canada as well bear in mind.

I find that in China you get exactly what you pay for. A £1.3K bass built in China is a £1.3k bass, as opposed to basses built in the UK/US/Germany/Canada, where value for money varies wildly!
[/quote]

I wasn't suggesting that they 'hide' it - it's just at the bottom of the list of specs rather than the top. From a marketing angle this is entirely understandable.

if you compare the spec list to a Canadian bass you can see the difference:
[list]
[*] [font=Helvetica-Light, Helvetica][size=3]
Dingwall made in Canada FD3N pickups x 3 - £200 option[/size][/font]
Dingwall passive controls, volume (p/p, a/p), pickup selector, passive tone[/size][/font]
3 x series/parallel switches - £110 option[/size][/font]
Dingwall USA strings[/size][/font]
Two piece Alder body*[/size][/font]
Ferrari Yellow[/size][/font]
Wenge neck - £165 option[/size][/font]
Wenge fingerboard - satin finish, 34 - 37", Ivoroid side dots[/size][/font]
Speedo lines on fingerboard - £200 option[/size][/font]
Banjo frets[/size][/font]
Novax® Fanned -Fret System™[/size][/font]
5 piece Maple neck[/size][/font]
Hipshot ultralight tuners (black)[/size][/font]
Extra strap lock on rear of bass [/size][/font]
Custom Dingwall Bridge (Black finish)[/size][/font]
Weight - 7lb 14oz/3.3kg[/size][/font]
Manufactured in Canada[/size][/font]
[/list][font=Helvetica-Light, Helvetica][size=3]
On this bass the Made in Canada is right at the top of the list - and then again at the bottom just to stress it.[/size][/font][font=Helvetica-Light, Helvetica][size=3]
If I were marketing a Chinese bass I wouldn't put it first on the list of specs either :)[/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica-Light, Helvetica][size=3]
I don't really understand the 'get what you pay for' comment?[/size][/font][font=Helvetica-Light, Helvetica][size=3]
Chinese prices are all over the place as well?[/size][/font]

No it doesn't - it says, like the NG2, that the pickups are made in Canada, and then at the bottom, like the NG2 it says the country of origin.

If you compare the two lists, the components are in the same order, suggesting that there's a standard form that Dingwall use for their specs on their marketing.

I'd still agree it's a lot of money for a Chinese manufactured instrument, but then aren't Lakland Skylines a similar price and have similar specs - US made electronics, sent back to the States for final set-up/inspection?

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1473433857' post='3130227']
No it doesn't - it says, like the NG2, that the pickups are made in Canada, and then at the bottom, like the NG2 it says the country of origin.

If you compare the two lists, the components are in the same order, suggesting that there's a standard form that Dingwall use for their specs on their marketing.

I'd still agree it's a lot of money for a Chinese manufactured instrument, but then aren't Lakland Skylines a similar price and have similar specs - US made electronics, sent back to the States for final set-up/inspection?
[/quote]

Exactly.

Odd criticisms in this thread, instead focus on the pink and carbon fibre combo!! Haha