Why become a member? ×

Stagg SBJ-50, Anyone played one?

BassApprentice

Have to say I'm very close to pulling the trigger on this. Found one for only £113 for a slightly different looking Jazz with a series parallel switch already wired in? I assume this is similar to the Fender S1 system?

Anyone played one? Seems like it would be a perfect base for modding in the future

http://www.staggmusic.com/en/product_detail/sbj-50_bk.html?backp=1

I've always associated the Stagg name with the very bottom of the barrel, but in all honesty I've never tried one myself. The body is supposed to be solid, though, which is good to know. If you can find a nice picture of the sunburst one you might even be able to tell how many pieces of wood they use. The hardware and pickups will most likely be utter rubbish, but you're probably OK with that fact if you're going to be modding it anyway. My main worry would be the fit and stability. A setup upon arrival is of course to be expected, but I've no idea for how long those necks stay in shape.

Edited by ZilchWoolham

Thanks for the replies guys.

The reason this interested me is because it is a jazz bass but with a rear routed body which is quite rare at this price point, also with the parallel/series switch already routed too. I like the look of the half scratch plate as well. I may wait a while and see if anyone pops up saying they have one or I might just take the plunge.

Honestly for a 113 ,quid on amazon prime if you like it buy it and give it a whirl open it carefully and you can return any item with amazon within the first 30 days , I've never had them say sorry you opened it.

if the neck is fine and body is solid . Swap those Stagg pickups out for some nice cheap Entwistles or try picking up some nice ones used on here .
I'd also suggest some used tuners from a squire vintage mod or similar which would be far better than those you could be onto a winner beater bass.

• 3 months later...

My first Bass was a Stagg bought cheap off Gumtree. If you have never used anything else they seem ok but as soon as you pick up anything better you realise they are pretty awful. A good set up helps obviously but they just aren't very nice in any way at all. That one is cheap at the first price for a new one I suppose but at the second price of £190 I wouldn't go near it with a barge pole. I still wouldn't buy one though, even at the first price.

Just checked Amazon... £102. Blimey.

I mean, how bad can these actually be?? Surely no worse than the crazed pursuit of those Sue Ryder basses from a few years back.

To be honest, I've played some munters in my time, but these have tended to be other peoples basses (all of which could be rectified by a 30 minute set up) and a few of these were US Fenders.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1483652333' post='3209087']
I know this thread is a few months old, but I really like the overall design...ok, it's Fenderish, very cheap and I really like the look of the headstock and what they've done with the scratchplate. [/quote]

That's what I thought, just a bit different. I also really like that it's rear routed so can go for the clean, no scratch plate look which you don't get often on budget basses.

Sadly Christmas has cleaned out the bank account so no impulse buying this :rolleyes: