Why become a member? ×

Talk me out of a Marusczcyk

PaulWarning

At the moment I've got GAS fro a Marusczcyk Jake P JJ, I heard a Fender Modern Jazz with twin humbuckers the other week sounded great but they don't do lefty's, in fact they don't do them at all anymore, I started a thread at the time http://basschat.co.uk/topic/290951-fender-modern-jazz-any-equivelants/page__fromsearch__1.
The Marusczcyk seem to fit the bill as far as a bridge humbucker is concerned but I've never heard one, I shouldn't be spending a grand on a bass I'm not sure will fit the bill should I?

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1473448665' post='3130404']
At the moment I've got GAS fro a Marusczcyk Jake P JJ, I heard a Fender Modern Jazz with twin humbuckers the other week sounded great but they don't do lefty's, in fact they don't do them at all anymore, I started a thread at the time [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/290951-fender-modern-jazz-any-equivelants/page__fromsearch__1."]http://basschat.co.u..._fromsearch__1.[/url]
The Marusczcyk seem to fit the bill as far as a bridge humbucker is concerned but I've never heard one, I shouldn't be spending a grand on a bass I'm not sure will fit the bill should I?
[/quote]
Why not? That's just what I've done.

after a weekend soul searching I've reached the conclusion that spending the best part of a £1000 on a bass that I would have no idea what it sounded like is something I can't do, I've tended to buy second hand in the past which means you stand a fair chance of getting most of your money back if you don't like it, the chances of picking up Marusczcyk second hand anywhere near the spec I'd want is pretty much zero, but I'll keep my eye out

I ordered my Maruszczyk fretless purely based on instinct of the type of build I wanted and the sound of the pickup demoed on YouTube. I couldn't be happier with the result. Adrian has so many pickup demos that you can listen too that I'm sure your preferred configuration would be available to listen to (although you might have to piece it together from various clips). Adrian also has a marvellous intuition as to where to place pickups, my build is 33" scale and he placed the MM where it would work best for that scale. Take a chance, so many others of us have, I highly doubt you'll be sorry.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1473587344' post='3131333']
after a weekend soul searching I've reached the conclusion that spending the best part of a £1000 on a bass that I would have no idea what it sounded like is something I can't do, I've tended to buy second hand in the past which means you stand a fair chance of getting most of your money back if you don't like it, the chances of picking up Marusczcyk second hand anywhere near the spec I'd want is pretty much zero, but I'll keep my eye out
[/quote]

Yep, I came to exactly that decision a few weeks ago. I put in my order last week.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1473587344' post='3131333']
[/quote]

As an alternative, why not see someone closer to you, in person and try out their stock? Don;t get me wrong, Adrian is a very talented luthier and I see no reason why his instruments wouldn't be any less than the comments made on BC. However, you're actually not that far away from Shuker HQ. http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk You could pop to see Jon Shuker at your convenience, try any basses he has in stock and discuss with the physical instruments on your lap. To me, the added trouble of jumping in the motor and heading up is completely balanced by knowing that you will get exactly what you want in a custom build. Shuker is of course highly regarded in the luthier world for his attention to detail and knowledge of instrument tone!

Edited by dood

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1473588596' post='3131354']
As an alternative, why not see someone closer to you, in person and try out their stock?
[/quote]

Which I think is also a good idea. there are very many talented luthiers in the country, including many mentioned on BC. If you are at the point of considering things that are really for you, its worth considering them all.

For me the decision to get a custom was that I was very tempted to get one of the Flea jazz basses, but then I thought about it and with the fender prices up, the thought of paying £950 for a mexican fender that there were certainly QC issues with (even if you could get lucky), or something made specifically to my specs for not much more made it a bit of a no brainer.

Before that I had an ACG, and it had one of the nicest tones of any bass I had had from its wide neck pickup, and was beautiful, but I didn't get on with the neck, and before that a dingwall with a perfect neck that I didn't get on with the tone. The ability to specify the neck and pickups tipped it for me.

If you are going to get a custom bass made for you, make sure it is as close to what you want because for most of us it isn't something we are going to do often!