Why become a member? ×

Best Octave Pedal For Bass

jay bass

Im looking for a basic octave pedal, 1 and 2 octaves up
not realy looking to use it for sub bass or octaves down etc
and i dont need all the other intervals or effects that most pedals come with.
Has anyone tried any of the main contenders, EH pog, digitech bass wammy , tc electronics etc

For me, the best pitch up/down stuff is on the Line6 M series pedals. I pretty much have an M5 just for the +1 octave lol.
Then I'd say the new bass whammy, but it's huge and the harmony stuff was useless for me.
Then Pog (micro or nano) is probably the easiest choice (i.e. It's small), but only does +1 octave.

Si

It's a tough one because you can get all sorts of different tones out of various octave pedals. I run 3 on my board, two of which at the Micro Pog and the Bass Whammy. I tend to use the Pog a lot, but I make use of the blend on it so it sounds a bit more organic. The Whammy is my go to for much more full on octave tones. If you're not after the intervals I don't imagine you're going to get much use from the Whammy though.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1474557412' post='3138806']
Mooer Pure Octave is a great pedal at a great price. will do what you're after and more.

[/quote]

See I thought the Mooer sounds absolutely awful!
That goes to show that you really just need to try as many as you can, and gig them too, a shop/bedroom does not let you know how it sounds on a gig :)

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1474664911' post='3139795']
See I thought the Mooer sounds absolutely awful!
That goes to show that you really just need to try as many as you can, and gig them too, a shop/bedroom does not let you know how it sounds on a gig :)

Si
[/quote]

Agreed. Some things just sound different in a live situation. Especially on bass.

I've got a Mooer Tender Octaver on it's way from China - seems to be a clone of the Micro Pog and gets better reviews that the Pure Octave.

Don't know if it's internet myth but some suggestion that the Tender Octave had been pulled from sale in the West due to infringement of EHX? I bought mine through Amazon. Couldn't find much more about it so took a punt.

[quote name='jay bass' timestamp='1474192014' post='3136092']
Thanks for all the info and advice
i have decided to try a Tomsline Aroma Octpus Pedal
its a budget made in China pedal, but seems to have the options im looking for
il let you know how it performs when i have tried it in a live Band situation
[/quote]

I recently bought a Tomsline Harmonizer (pitch shifter) off eBay and I'm sorry to say the tracking on it was absolutely abysmal! I'd say there was at least an eighth of a second delay which was enough to make it sound like I was playing completely out of time. I had it listed for sale on eBay the same day I received it and was glad to get away with only losing £6 on it.
Fingers crossed they manage to get the tracking closer on a simpler octaver pedal.

• 2 weeks later...

I would call that a latency issue rather than tracking, which usually refers to an analog octaver's tendency to warble when trying to lock into the correct pitch. There is a small delay with all digital octavers though. If you want instant response, don't need to sound like a natural bass guitar, and only need monophonic octave down - analog all the way!

Personally, I'm waiting for this...

(Apols for the very poor photoshop...)

[URL=http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/iamtheelvy/media/IMG_0474_zps6vtwbwpk.png.html][IMG]http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y440/iamtheelvy/IMG_0474_zps6vtwbwpk.png[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by iamtheelvy

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1473557279' post='3131219']
For me, the best pitch up/down stuff is on the Line6 M series pedals. I pretty much have an M5 just for the +1 octave lol.
[/quote]

+1 on the M5, it tracks amazingly well.

I have a Nano POG, which does an octave down and/or up. Octave down works to about A, and the octave up has quite a distinctive voice, sounding quite chimey. Definite latency too; I wouldn't like to guess how much, but when playing quiet stuff the wet signal is later than the dry for sure. Sometimes that annoys me, sometimes I like it, go figure!

I mostly use it +1 with a bit of reverb for finger picking 'guitar' parts for a loop pedal, and the latency and chimeyness isn't an issue here, as the voicing is nice and the split second delay gets absorbed somehow. Small footprint, plays well with others in the power chain, can split the wet and dry out.

I know it doesn't do the 2nd octave up you need, but thought I might as well chip in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Ba55me15ter' timestamp='1476867862' post='3157848']
You can't beat the original Boss OC2 for me. Yes the tracking can be dodgy and it warbles now and then, but that's part of the charm. Just sounds so good!
[/quote]

Then there's the "superior" OC-2, the Foxrox Octron. Beautiful analog tones with octave fuzz on the high octave.