Why become a member? ×

NBD - Vampyre

bigjimmyc

[attachment=227618:vampyre.jpg]
Got this pointy puppy this morning. Came with flat wounds (am I the only one who hates them?) but now adorned with shiny RS665LD. Also pleased with the purchase of a micrometer so I know what gauge I'm taking off.

Happy metal all!

Edited by bigjimmyc

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1473579450' post='3131260']
Nice! Always secretly fancied one of these. How do you find the pickups? Quite an odd one to put flats on.
[/quote] This is a good question. I like the look of the pickup configuration, but plugged in the bridge pup is really weedy!

On most of my basses I use both pups together to get my sound. This one, I'm only using the neck pup which does sound great. I'm not the sort of player who needs the "great range of tones" that are apparently a feature of every bass for sale, so no drama.

By the way, the pickups were seriously high on this bass, just under the strings, to the extent that they were in the way of my fingertips! Soon fixed that!

Having said all this the Vampyre does need a good setup. I'm happy with the action low down, but it buzzes out on the top half of the neck. Weird.

• 2 weeks later...