Why become a member? ×

First NDBD

kodiakblair

Like many the thought of having a DB always appealed to me but worries about space put me off.

Many chances were missed then this week ChrisF put his DB up for sale at an incredible price.Using a courier wasn't an option
so I decided to drive,even with fuel for the 750 mile roundtrip :o it was still a bargain.

Trip down must rate as one of the worst I've ever done :lol: I'd planned on using the A1(M) all the way but satnav sent me across
Scotland to go A74(M).The Berwick pit stop changed to a nervous drive to Biggar,all the way the fuel gauge on RED.Joined the
M74 in pissing rain with shocking visibility,down to 10 yards.Just as I thought "this is nuts,no-one should be driving in this "

The windscreen wipers packed in :o
Doing 70 in the middle lane,trucks to the left and in front,madmen doing 80+ on right.Knicker wetting stuff :(

5 hours later I'm home and call Chris saying I'll make another attempt that night. The Cramps are playing "Naked Girl Fallin Down the Stairs" on the radio as I leave. That's a great omen :)

8 hour later,satnav still wants me to travel down the west, I arrive at's Chris's house in Bedfordshire :)
Never held a DB before,damn they're BIG :D Gonna be a steep learning curve but Scotland's psychobilly folks will get a laugh.

Fueled by coffee and bacon sandwich kindly provided by Chris's wife it was time to fit it in the Micra :o 3 or 4 attempts and use
of bungee straps it was in.Had to duck down to see in wing mirror but it was good to go.Judge for yourselves if you'd happily transport a DB like this.

[attachment=227622:Double Bass (2).jpg][attachment=227623:Double Bass (3).jpg][attachment=227624:Double Bass (5).jpg]

Finally after 18 hours driving and with mishaps 1000 miles covered we both arrived back in Falkirk.

[attachment=227625:Double Bass at home.jpg]

Holly is a welcome addition to the clan.

Hey, congratulations and welcome to the club. Great effort to drive all that way, but it is the only option and the one I would advise to anyone wanting to buy a DB - you have to be prepared to travel. I've travelled a lot for DB activities: purchases; lessons; workshops; concerts etc. but it's all worth the effort.

I hope you enjoy - there's plenty of helpful experience on this sub-forum!

Edit: That's one hell of a collection you've got there?!!

Edited by philparker

To fit D/B In Micra safely
1. Push passenger seat fully forward.
2. Remove headrest from passengers seat
3. Both back seats down.
4. Bass in through hatchback, often easier on its side.
5. Final position, bass neck on top of passenger seat, bass lying on its back.
Be careful not to put your back in a dangerous lifting position, but it is easy to work out a safe way with a bit of practice.
Be careful with the tuners on the top of the passenger seat, especially if you have hat pegs.
This works with just about any small hatchback.

That's a big ol' journey. I once collected a basschat sale bass from the other side of London and that also wound up being an 18hr journey due to snow and being stuck on the M25, but thankfully not that mileage you managed.

That is a huge collection of basses. You have more basses than most shops!

Welcome to the upright owner's club.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"That is a huge collection of basses. You have more basses than most shops!"[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Eh that's only some of them :unsure:[/font][/color]

Well travelled......I am in Stirling and went to Sunderland in my transit pick up to get my current DB...just chucked it in the back, luckily it was one of the few days that it didn t rain this year. I am needing a slap bass but that trip (via Kent) took weeks off my life... I am loath to do it again. Not sure why there are so few DBs up here.