Why become a member? ×

Precision Bridge Advice

olliedf89

Earlier this year I bought myself a nice early 00s Mexican deluxe PJ bass. Sounds and plays great except the bridge is basically a bit crap. It has no grooves and the saddles don't sit right and tonight I found they kept lowering quite significantly after every 2 or so songs.
Basically I want to know what I could to do improve the bridge, or, if I'd be better off getting a new one and if so, what should I be looking for?

I'll stick a better picture up later!

Those are spiral saddles, usually seen on USA and Jap reissued basses, not Mexican ones. I had fitted one to a bass I owned and quickly replaced it with a bog standard Fender bridge. The trouble with mine was that the strings used to move around on the saddle while I was playing. I felt I need a saddle with a deeper groove, so the string would stay in place..

You can get a standard bridge, on ebay, for next to nothing.

The saddles themselves are getting lower as you play? That means the height adjustment screws are working themselves loose, in which case a drop of clear nail varnish works a treat.

Plenty of other fender and non fender (Babicz, Gotoh)out there - make sure you get one with five screws!

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1473634836' post='3131916']
the strings used to move around on the saddle while I was playing
[/quote]

That too! Nightmare!
[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1473659253' post='3131953']
clear nail varnish works a treat.

Plenty of other fender and non fender (Babicz, Gotoh)out there - make sure you get one with five screws!
[/quote]

I'll remember that trick...
The next question then, in looking for a new bridge is how do I know it will fit? I've looked at lots of bridges already but not all of them match up, dimensions wise. Do I have to keep shopping around for a perfect replacement or do I have to do a bit of DIY first?

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1473662173' post='3131963']
Other than going for the branded bridges, Northwest Guitars do some great bridges for little money.

[url="http://www.northwestguitars.co.uk/bass-bridges/"]http://www.northwest...k/bass-bridges/[/url]
[/quote]

Nice and cheap, looks great, I'll head there first when I know what I'm after! Thank you chaps.

[quote name='olliedf89' timestamp='1473668503' post='3132007']
Really? Well that is some good news!
[/quote]

yup... in fact I'm a fan of those bridges as I can set the string spacing the way I want it (a bit wider than usual). I guess I've been lucky because I've had no problems so far with mine. No, I am not looking to buy another ;) but it should sell ok and cover the cost of a standard BBOT Fender bridge with deeper grooves.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1473678841' post='3132134']
yup... in fact I'm a fan of those bridges as I can set the string spacing the way I want it (a bit wider than usual). I guess I've been lucky because I've had no problems so far with mine. No, I am not looking to buy another ;) but it should sell ok and cover the cost of a standard BBOT Fender bridge with deeper grooves.
[/quote]

Aye, a quick look around suggests people like these bridges! Though I'm not sure what BBOT stands for, but seems to yield the right results.

I like the Gotoh that Lozz suggested so far, it's giving me confidence just looking at it, only £40ish on Amazon, too.

So I've looked at the size of the 201B4, (http://g-gotoh.com/international/product/201b-4.html), which look almost the same as my current bridge... I'm a bit unsure that I'm going to order it and it won't fit though.... Can I make it fit or are all 5 screw /4 string bridges the same?

[quote name='olliedf89' timestamp='1473682070' post='3132176']

Aye, a quick look around suggests people like these bridges! Though I'm not sure what BBOT stands for, but seems to yield the right results.

I like the Gotoh that Lozz suggested so far, it's giving me confidence just looking at it, only £40ish on Amazon, too.

So I've looked at the size of the 201B4, (http://g-gotoh.com/international/product/201b-4.html), which look almost the same as my current bridge... I'm a bit unsure that I'm going to order it and it won't fit though.... Can I make it fit or are all 5 screw /4 string bridges the same?
[/quote]

BBOT = Bent Bit Of Tin

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1473662173' post='3131963']
Other than going for the branded bridges, Northwest Guitars do some great bridges for little money.

[url="http://www.northwestguitars.co.uk/bass-bridges/"]http://www.northwest...k/bass-bridges/[/url]
[/quote]

Iv used these

http://www.northwestguitars.co.uk/4-string-electric-jazz-precision-bass-guitar-bridge/

on a few bitsa basses and have them on 2 of my precision, there a direct replacement screw holes all lined up nicely. very good for the price and iv found some near exact ones on ebay from china for around £5, proper bargain if you don t mind waiting a month for delivery! (it is free post) the silver/chrome ones seem to be a bit better finished than the black ones, but still nothing to be sniffed at and look very stealth on my black/black.rosewood franken P

Well I got a new bridge from Northwest, seems decent, the odd rattle but nothing that's too worrying, already fixed the problematic bridge, so quite pleased with that, thanks all.

I seem to be getting uneven string volumes again (had it before on this bass) Might have to drop it to a tech for that part.

Thanks for your help all.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1473960418' post='3134572']
Good to hear you like the bridge.

WRT the volumes issue, are the strings the same height/distance from the pups?

Which strings are louder/quieter?
[/quote]

I've actually been trying to sort this for a while, I did think it was the bridge that was the source of the issue due to the irregular saddle movement.

It's only noticeable in a band mix, the e thunders through but the rest (especially the A) sort of vanish into the mix, haven't had a bass do that before.

I've mucked about with pickups and saddles but didn't really figure it out...

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1473665040' post='3131987']
Gotoh 201 is a straight fit for MIM Fenders, and is quite reasonably priced.
[/quote]

I was scrolling down with this answer in mind when i saw that you beated me to it. Can't go wrong with a Gotoh 201, excelent quality with more mass and more durable than the BBOT for a very good price.