Why become a member? ×

Fender Hi Mass Bridge V, question

bartelby

I don't, but recently swapped out the CS bridge..which seems like the AM Deluxe bridge for a Hipshot. Straight swap if you get the retro fit specifically for the Fender market and 3 times the bridge.
Heavier, milled, more accurate, string thru and top loading. It pretty much sums up how lazy or worse, Fender can be...when they persist in using their own design. IMO

I have a 4 string Fender Hi Mass bridge and quite like them.
My HB Deko 5 string needs a new bridge. I finally discovered why my bass was a Deko...

For £30 the Fender Hi Mass V seems a no brainer.
But the 4 string has 5 screw holes and the 5 string one has 4.
The current HB bridge has 6, so in theory the 4 of the Fender should line up with the middle 4 on the HB.
Based on photos I think the screw spacing is around 15-16mm...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1473770600' post='3132946']
I don't, but recently swapped out the CS bridge..which seems like the AM Deluxe bridge for a Hipshot. Straight swap if you get the retro fit specifically for the Fender market and 3 times the bridge.
Heavier, milled, more accurate, string thru and top loading. It pretty much sums up how lazy or worse, Fender can be...when they persist in using their own design. IMO
[/quote]

How DARE you!!! :o

Are you implying Leo didn't get it all 100,000% correct !?!?!?!

The Fender Police Dept will be along in a mo'

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1473771840' post='3132966']
How DARE you!!! :o

Are you implying Leo didn't get it all 100,000% correct !?!?!?!

The Fender Police Dept will be along in a mo'
[/quote]

:lol: Never in a million. That is why there are so many clones around doing it better
For the price of a CS, I am very VERY confident I could get 3-4 times the bass from a luthier charging the same price....but the F logo is very very powerful magnet to the gullible..IMO
Having said that, you can luck out on a good one but you have to be careful searching for it, IME.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1474042344' post='3135259']
:lol: Never in a million. That is why there are so many clones around doing it better
For the price of a CS, I am very VERY confident I could get 3-4 times the bass from a luthier charging the same price....but the F logo is very very powerful magnet to the gullible..IMO
Having said that, you can luck out on a good one but you have to be careful searching for it, IME.
[/quote]

I once sold a copy with a Fender logo. It was one I'd bought believing it to be a Fender and got ripped off.
I was surprised when the buyer got stroppy over the logo not being good enough. As far as he was concerned, the decal was the difference between it being a Fender and not being a Fender. Strange logic some folk.

Me, I'd buy a Maruscyk over a Fender any day.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1473771680' post='3132965']
I have a 4 string Fender Hi Mass bridge and quite like them.
My HB Deko 5 string needs a new bridge. I finally discovered why my bass was a Deko...

For £30 the Fender Hi Mass V seems a no brainer.
But the 4 string has 5 screw holes and the 5 string one has 4.
The current HB bridge has 6, so in theory the 4 of the Fender should line up with the middle 4 on the HB.
Based on photos I think the screw spacing is around 15-16mm...
[/quote]

I had a 5 string HB Deko and swapped the bridge for a Wilkinson Vintage Bridge and it was a straight swap. I've used the Wilkinson bridge on a few basses and IMHO opinion it is unbeatable in terms of value for money. Really substantial and the brass saddles give it that vintage vibe.
When I sold the HB, I took it off and it's on my VM Precision 5 now.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the bridge arrived the other day.
Within 15 mins I'd taken off the strings, the old bridge, fitted the new bridge, restrung, set the action and the intonation.

It's made a very noticeable difference in the feel of the strings. They all seem just a little tighter, the B doesn't feel anywhere near the flappy mess it was before.

I now have this evening to noodle on it before I lend it to a friend while I borrow his fretless...