Why become a member? ×

Presonus Studio One Free

MacDaddy

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1473762198' post='3132818']
Anyone else using this? I've finally got a decent laptop and interface and am going to try to use it, complete numpty and technophobe that I am.
[/quote]

I installed it, found it to be a massive faff and went back to Reaper. That said, I have friends who love it.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1473766806' post='3132893']
It always baffles me why people use free, highly restrictive versions of 'name' DAWs when Reaper is available.

Si
[/quote]
because as a noob, the bell and whistles of non-restricted DAW's just serve to confuse the issue. Studio One Free, is a complete DAW without the frippery.

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1473768908' post='3132923']
because as a noob, the bell and whistles of non-restricted DAW's just serve to confuse the issue. Studio One Free, is a complete DAW without the frippery.
[/quote]

I mean if it works for you then brilliant, that's all that matters :)

Si

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1473768908' post='3132923']
[/quote]

I think I'd still nudge you towards Reaper then :) Could be one of the least confusing DAWs I have used. Studio One (Free) I didn't actually get as far as recording a note as nothing seemed to do what I wanted. lol. Sibob is right though, if it works for you, it is all that matters. Everyone has their own preferences :)

Studio One (full version), is by far the easiest DAW out there.
Everything is just drag and drop:)

The free version is very restricted though.
You can't use 3rd party VST's and VSTI's, only the limited included instruments.
And there aren't many, but sure for beginners, usable.

A great site here with tutorial videos for Studio One.
http://www.studio-one.expert

And the official site videos.
http://www.presonus.com/videos/player

I think the main problem I have with restrictive free ones is that it doesn't encourage you to explore more options and learn.
That's why I like Reaper for beginners, not fussy, but you can dig deeper if you want. That said, the output routing can get a bit confusing.
But yeah, depends what you're doing I guess

Si

• 1 month later...

I have it, mainly because it is synced to a StudioOne 16.0.2. Having said that I have it, I "think that I have it" as I use Studio One 3 'Artist'. It isn't exactly 'free' but comes packaged with Presonus hardware and it is certainly a light version of 'full'. From what I have seen and used of it so far, it would appear that the only place that my version is really lacking is on the Mastering side.

The Presonus learning resources are, as has been mentioned in an earlier post, readily available and they certainly helped me find my way around it. I'm new to DAW use - but have had 20 years using a Roland VS 880. It's a very different world but I've not found the SW too difficult to work with. I've definitely not got the results that I'm looking for yet, and use the Presonus Tutorials frequently, but I am getting there.

One thing that I have noticed is that, in the Roland world, I made good use of the in-board effects in the expansion pack but I'm already thinking in terms of buying a good rack mounted external reverb unit (and probably more).

[quote name='Dasher' timestamp='1477053328' post='3159536']
I have it, mainly because it is synced to a StudioOne 16.0.2. Having said that I have it, I "think that I have it" as I use Studio One 3 'Artist'. It isn't exactly 'free' but comes packaged with Presonus hardware and it is certainly a light version of 'full'. From what I have seen and used of it so far, it would appear that the only place that my version is really lacking is on the Mastering side.

The Presonus learning resources are, as has been mentioned in an earlier post, readily available and they certainly helped me find my way around it. I'm new to DAW use - but have had 20 years using a Roland VS 880. It's a very different world but I've not found the SW too difficult to work with. I've definitely not got the results that I'm looking for yet, and use the Presonus Tutorials frequently, but I am getting there.

One thing that I have noticed is that, in the Roland world, I made good use of the in-board effects in the expansion pack but I'm already thinking in terms of buying a good rack mounted external reverb unit (and probably more).
[/quote]

Normally between this time and Christmas, including Black Friday, Presonus do really good deals.
Usually the upgrade from 'Artist' to the Full version is heavily discounted - Keep your eyes peeled.:)

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1477057774' post='3159582']

Normally between this time and Christmas, including Black Friday, Presonus do really good deals.
Usually the upgrade from 'Artist' to the Full version is heavily discounted - Keep your eyes peeled.:)
[/quote]

Ah yes... after last year, I vowed that I wasn't going to make any non-essential purchases on Black Friday this year... 🙃

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1477057774' post='3159582']
Usually the upgrade from 'Artist' to the Full version is heavily discounted - Keep your eyes peeled. :)
[/quote]

Thanks for the tip!

I will!

• 4 weeks later...

+1 for Reaper

no 'trial version' or 'performer edition' or "lite' crap.

Download Reaper, you get the full version no annoying pop ups except when you fire it up and it asks rather politely if you've finished evaluating it. If you're happy after 60 days, buy it for the awesome price of $60 that lasts through two whole revisions.

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1479453192' post='3176606']
+1 for Reaper

no 'trial version' or 'performer edition' or "lite' crap.
[/quote]

'Lite' versions can be useful, especially for the new-to-DAW user who might be overwhelmed by the raft of options in a full-blown DAW. Just having the essential features makes for a much simpler introduction to the way of things.

Reaper is a 'trial version' - until you pay for it... :D
Most DAW's do a fully functional 'Demo version' for 30 days. It's never been easier to 'try before you buy'....Without wearing an eye patch and having a Parrot balancing on your shoulder.

ras52 makes a good point above.

[quote name='Dasher' timestamp='1477076322' post='3159771']
Thanks for the tip!
I will!
[/quote]

If you are still considering, here you go.
Extra 10% discount on check out as well.
I have used this company many times, no problems what so ever. Good guy to deal with.
The serial numbers turn up within minutes.
https://www.jrrshop.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Presonus+studio+one&order=relevance&dir=desc

After reading this thread I downloaded Reaper. I haven't really got on with software DAWs in the past but in the same evening I was able to record and play back some audio, record and play back MIDI drums, use VST drums, and set up my iPad to as an OSC controller.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1479976864' post='3180664']

Well done, that man..!
[/quote]

Thanks Douglas!

This is really working out well. I've just transferred anything worth saving from my Akai DPS16 and formatted the hard drive (yikes), and paid for Reaper, so I'm committed. I found some recordings I did for a singer friend in 1999, originally on a Roland VS804, with many of the sounds created on a guitar synth. I'm going to finish these off and present him with a CD!

• 3 weeks later...