Why become a member? ×

Modulation

Danuman

Hi all,

I've been looking for an all-round modulation pedal, and the criterium I've been using is it has to sound good enough. The only effects I really want are chorus and some uni-vibe/rotary chewiness. Vibrato, Phase and Flange are nice but expendable, and I've got my tremolo needs covered.

I like the sounds of the Strymon möbius, but I'm not THAT keen. Same with the Eventide stuff. It just has to cover some basic uses with function type gigs.

I really like the Empress Nebulus, but that is only marginally cheaper. I guess I could spring for two separate pedals (I like the TC viscous vibe!) but if possible, I'd like to keep my board small. Anybody know if there's something out there?

Line 6 M5? Contains a bunch of modulations including a few chorus sounds and a uni vibe, holds 25 presets and runs off a standard 9v connector. A lot of them are just OK but there's a few gems in there.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T-imUtypPg"]https://www.youtube....h?v=3T-imUtypPg[/url]

Edited by GarethFlatlands

Thanks! You made me realize I had sort of unconsciously discounted Line 6, based on my experience with the DL4. I have yet to find a delay that does so much so intuitively, however, I found its sound uninspiringly lifeless.

I'll definitely look into this one, although I fear it might be a little too finicky for the stage.

Ah, might not be for you then. It definitely sacrifices quality for quantity as per most Line 6 stuff.

And yeah, the double press and then moving up and down patches during songs isn't easy. The gap between the buttons is just a fraction wider than my tiny feet so I have to come at it from an odd angle. Fine if you use 1 sound per song and can set it up but not great otherwise.

I'll see if I can play one to get a feel for it. I'm a little reluctant about most multi-effect pedals because of the deep/menu editing necessary... It's just such a rabbit hole, and boards can be so distracting. (Even with a relatively simple setup like mine... Well, to me anyway. :P)

Nice profile pic, by the way. I love C&H. :)

Apart from swapping between patches and re-naming stuff, it's very easy to use. If you were closer you'd be welcome to try mine out but the closest I've ever been to Amsterdam was Heerlen.

I love Calvin and Hobbes too, I'm tempted by the hardback complete collection but it's pretty expensive still. I might treat myself for Christmas.

Haha, even though the Netherlands is (are?) quite a small country, Heerlen is about as far away as you can get without crossing the border. Thanks for the offer though!

I've been tempted to get that box set on many occasions - it's just beautifully done - but i could never justify getting it as I already own every strip that was ever published, plus some of the collections...

Back on topic, however: I learned about the Keeley mod workstation, which looks like something I might like but, there I go again. Small budget, expensive taste. 'Twas ever thus.

[quote name='Daz39' timestamp='1474542724' post='3138664']
Source Audio Orbital Modulator: does Flange, Vibe, Chorus and Phaser - it's epic.
[/quote]
+1 for the Source Audio. It also allows storage of two memory settings, plus via Hot Hand or (their) expression pedal you can control one of the parameters on the hoof e.g. that Leslie-style speed change.

Thanks for the suggestions!
The nux seems fine in sort of a low key way, but my experience with really cheap stuff is that, eventually, you're going to fork over the cash for something better.

I've known about the Orbital for some time, and it's an attractive proposition, but I'm not entirely sold on the inherent sound and it seems a little finicky with only two memory slots.
That hot hand gizmo looks like a hoot, though!
...and completely impractical, but I guess you can't have it all. :P

I'm definitely going to take the Orbital for a spin.