Why become a member? ×

The P.A.....who should own it ?

Coilte

The solution of - whatever works for the band works for the band

Possible Solutions :

1. One person owns pa, agreed amount paid for every gig.
2. More than one person owns pa, agreed amount paid per gig.
3. Band funds soundman to bring PA to every gig. He either charges for his time and band owns PA (with appropriate agreement for in case of band split in place) or charges for time + PA.
4. Something that works for you.

[quote name='HengistPod' timestamp='1474034850' post='3135172']

I don't see any great problem with one guy owning the mixer/amp, and someone else owning speakers, stands, wires, etc. If the drummer wants a monitor, he can buy one for himself (though a fridge, washing machine or cooker may be a better way to spend his fags money).

If one person leaves, not so much gear to replace.
[/quote]
Personally, In this case i'd expect an extra 20-40 quid / band share/whatever per gig to cover costs of maintenance.

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1473935672' post='3134266']
I own the PA... I charge the band for hire
[/quote]

If it is down to one person, this is the way to do it. Chances are that this way they get a very good P.A, tranported and maintained for a reasonable sum.
On cheap gigs the owner loses but on the big payers would rent for a share of the fee, so for a 5 piece the fee is for the 6th share...so an £1800 gig would put £300 into the kitty and about £200 of that to the P. A rental rental.
When you determine the figures like this, you might find one or two others would be willing to invest :lol:

I bought the pa myself all monitors, mics, leads, desk and stands along with a van (big pa) and take a bigger cut when the money is there. It's easier than having to divide it up if the band splits or paying a member off if they choose to leave. I'm kind of the band leader as well so it's a responsibility I feel I need to carry.

All 4 of us have a share in the PA. We all go through it in some way or another. If I dont DI Then I have always got my backing vocals anyway. Guitar always Di's. Drums always has bass drum and sometimes overhead.
Everyone is responsible for their own mics stands and XLR cables. Although the singer (or rather his parents) paid for a dual wireless SM 58 kit which I use one of. Works well for us.

As mentioned you also need an exit strategy. In a previous band the same ownership applied and when we finished and the others went to do original stuff so I was bought out and got myself an EBMM Stingray which is my main bass. My current band hads the same exit agreement.

Edited by mep

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1474407367' post='3137868']
All 4 of us have a share in the PA. We all go through it in some way or another. If I dont DI Then I have always got my backing vocals anyway. Guitar always Di's. Drums always has bass drum and sometimes overhead.
Everyone is responsible for their own mics stands and XLR cables. Although the singer (or rather his parents) paid for a dual wireless SM 58 kit which I use one of. Works well for us.

As mentioned you also need an exit strategy. In a previous band the same ownership applied and when we finished and the others went to do original stuff so I was bought out and got myself an EBMM Stingray which is my main bass. My current band hads the same exit agreement.
[/quote]

How did they work out what you should be bought out for?

[quote name='Jamescrazy88' timestamp='1474396468' post='3137729']
I bought the pa myself all monitors, mics, leads, desk and stands along with a van (big pa) and take a bigger cut when the money is there. It's easier than having to divide it up if the band splits or paying a member off if they choose to leave. I'm kind of the band leader as well so it's a responsibility I feel I need to carry.
[/quote]

This is the ideal situation for me apart from having a dedicated PA person.

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1474035669' post='3135187']
The solution of - whatever works for the band works for the band

Possible Solutions :

1. One person owns pa, agreed amount paid for every gig.
2. More than one person owns pa, agreed amount paid per gig.
3. Band funds soundman to bring PA to every gig. He either charges for his time and band owns PA (with appropriate agreement for in case of band split in place) or charges for time + PA.
4. Something that works for you.
[/quote]

I dont get why the PA should b chargeable. I provide my instruments, rig, pedals etc without charging extra. If I need a set of strings I dont expect the band to chip in.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1474457009' post='3138130']
I dont get why the PA should b chargeable. I provide my instruments, rig, pedals etc without charging extra. If I need a set of strings I dont expect the band to chip in.
[/quote]

Because it's on top of providing "i[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]nstruments, rig, pedals etc" - It takes me less that 5 minutes to setup my instruments/rig/pedals etc, guess how long it takes to setup a PA correctly.. Plus you've got four lots of loading to do, and provide a vehicle to carry it all as well as my "i[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]nstruments, rig, pedals etc" . [/font][/color]

[/quote]

Can of worms; we're back to this tired old dichotomy of 'folks who put a monetary value on things' and those who 'do things because they want to'. There are many ways of looking at all of this, so there is much divergence. In our band, for instance, I 'own' (in the sense of 'I bought'...) the PA stuff, and the whole band profit from it. That's just the way that I do things in general, so no surprise there. We play for nowt, anyway, so nothing to split. I bought our 'tour bus', too; it's been lent out numerous times to band members and others buddies for house moves, or furniture collection etc. I don't go in for looking for problems, rather offering solutions. Simple..? Yes, deliberately so.

Edited by Dad3353

[/quote]

It depends what it's being used for.

Tricky one.
Me and the drummer have bought the PA between us as our third member can't really afford to chip in as he's less well paid than us in his real job.
It would seem a bit silly to charge him extra or take some of his split from the gigs to pay for it as he needs the dosh more than we do.
For us, its just a means to an end to sound as good as we can at the gigs and get more work from it.
If we ever split I suppose we would sell it and split the loss or one of us buy the other out at its current value, no biggie.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1474459434' post='3138160']
It depends what it's being used for.
[/quote]

Quite, a vox P.A is owned by the singer. But if you have a P.A for the band...and everyone goes through it, that is a bigger outlay and a bigger load so that means the guy who does most of it needs to be paid or he will get fed-up.
He might say he needs a bigger car, fuel costs etc etc
It is a can of worms but I just think it is easler to thrash out a deal and pay it....
This only really works on gigs/bands that can justify carrying a bigger P.A and gigs that pay for it... and then you get into kitty's etc etc .

I used to do vocals and bass in my old old old band (10 years or so ago), unfortunately not in a band any more and doubt I'd want to do vocals as well any more.. I still own my PA system though, I still use it from time to time because I don't have a bass amp atm.. Saving up for a Trace Elliot :B...

Either way.. If I were to join another band I would probably just let the band use it for nothing as it's just gathering dust at the moment for the most part.

But we shall see what develops in the future, whether or not I ever get into a band or just do a solo project.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1474475159' post='3138293']
Quite, a vox P.A is owned by the singer. But if you have a P.A for the band...and everyone goes through it, that is a bigger outlay and a bigger load so that means the guy who does most of it needs to be paid or he will get fed-up.
He might say he needs a bigger car, fuel costs etc etc
It is a can of worms but I just think it is easler to thrash out a deal and pay it....
This only really works on gigs/bands that can justify carrying a bigger P.A and gigs that pay for it... and then you get into kitty's etc etc .
[/quote]

^ Sometimes. Other models are available. :mellow:

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1474476411' post='3138305']

^ Sometimes. Other models are available. :mellow:
[/quote]

Well. If everyone is worth the same hourly rate, the guy that's hauling the PA at 3am in the middle of winter while all his band 'mates' are asleep should receive something for his efforts. It's only fair. :rolleyes:

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1474484093' post='3138361']
Well. If everyone is worth the same hourly rate, the guy that's hauling the PA at 3am in the middle of winter while all his band 'mates' are asleep should receive something for his efforts. It's only fair. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Other logistics solutions are available. :mellow:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1474484390' post='3138365']

Other logistics solutions are available. :mellow:
[/quote]

Quite right. The rest of the band members could each add 80miles onto their round trip that way we're all out of pocket for the gig and have to spend an extra 2 hours in the car. Marvellous solution. Well done. I suspect they're quite happy giving the PA £10 each. :rolleyes:

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1474485615' post='3138379']
Quite right...
[/quote]

Yes,as is often the case, although I think I detect just a tinge of sarcasm in your post. I would, however, encourage you, nevertheless, to continue these leaps of imagination. Some might well be actual, real-life situations, you never know. Thanks for your enlightening contribution, anyway. :mellow:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1474487280' post='3138390']

Yes,as is often the case, although I think I detect just a tinge of sarcasm in your post. I would, however, encourage you, nevertheless, to continue these leaps of imagination. Some might well be actual, real-life situations, you never know. Thanks for your enlightening contribution, anyway. :mellow:
[/quote]

That was a real life situation. If the band members all live miles away from each other it makes no sense for them all to be traipsing round the country in the middle of the night to carry mic stands up and down a driveway in the rain.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1474488942' post='3138411']
That was a real life situation. If the band members all live miles away from each other it makes no sense for them all to be traipsing round the country in the middle of the night to carry mic stands up and down a driveway in the rain.
[/quote]

Quite. :mellow:

Our harmonica man has a coupe of PA systems and a large estate car. Our guitarist also has a PA. The band mutually own a couple of 300 watt powered monitors.

Our drummer doesn't have a car, or even a driving licence, which makes life interesting at times, but he's a great guy and a superb drummer. Our former singer didn't even own a microphone!