Why become a member? ×

Pickups For Ibanez Mikro?

sblueplanet

I like my Ibanez Mikro bass so much it has become my main bass and so I'm keen to make it sound as good as it possibly can. I think the PJ setup works really well with a good range of tones available but its either an issue of wrong pots or dodgy pups as there are some noise/hum problems and also bleeding between pups and tone etc. If this can be fixed by changing the pots alone I would be happy to know but otherwise I'm wondering if anyone knows if any brands will be a direct replacement fit for the existing pups?

I bought a Mikro bass for my daughter and also found it noisy.I tried copper foil tape to shield the cavities,which wasn't totally successful.
I picked up an EMG PJX set from Basschat as a replacement, these are standard PJ size so I guess most pickups would fit.
The pickups were a little tight in the cavities but went in without any mods.
The original pots were quite small and one of them was fitted close to the side of the cavity, so small bodied pots will probably be needed.
There are some modified Mikro basses on Talkbass, probably worth a look

Got one. It's noisy. (Anyone detecting a pattern here?) I haven't done anything about it yet (I have too many basses already). Shielding was my next move, but if it's not terribly effective to do that, do we know why?

I'm considering stringing it ADGC, because I've found the E string "flabby". I'm curious to know what strings other people are using?

Edited by alyctes

Interesting.
I read somewhere that the noise is because the wrong resistors have been fitted to these basses but It didn't explain why and what a remedy would be. I have managed to get a great action with almost perfect intonation on my bass so really happy with that aspect. My E is tight with maybe the harmonics my only grump.
I have looked at an active EMG PJ set as someone also wrote that you tend to get less noise issues with an active bass. No idea about this either. Considering that a good set of pups will cost almost as much as the bass itself I didn't want to buy ones which need major mods.
I shielded the cavity and replaced the plastic knobs with black anodised ones. The lightweight and size is great. The neck is quite flat and wide even though it is short scale with good access. I still have the strings on it that it came with. Will need to borrow a micrometer to determine what gauge they are although its possible it won't be standard. I did contact Ibanez on their website but never got a response.

I have active EMGs in both of my Warwicks too, and they are very quiet.
Keep an eye on the adverts, I got the PJX set for £45.

I fitted D'Addario strings, the tension is lower then on my own basses at standard tuning,but I tune the E to D or C# so I don't find it a problem.

I have a Mikro too, its great for me as a new bass player. The problem I have with mine was that pretty much everything sounded exactly the same, regardless of pickup or tone control setting. The only thing that seemed to work was the volume. I swapped the pickups for some cheap Wilkinsons as an experiment. I now have a big difference between pickups - the bridge one is very underpowered and anaemic compared to the original, but the neck P pickup sounds great, much more tone and detail. I have a spare preamp and P/Us from a Rockbass so will try those when I get a spare day.

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1473968778' post='3134644']
Interesting.
I read somewhere that the noise is because the wrong resistors have been fitted to these basses but It didn't explain why and what a remedy would be. I have managed to get a great action with almost perfect intonation on my bass so really happy with that aspect. My E is tight with maybe the harmonics my only grump.
I have looked at an active EMG PJ set as someone also wrote that you tend to get less noise issues with an active bass. No idea about this either. Considering that a good set of pups will cost almost as much as the bass itself I didn't want to buy ones which need major mods.
I shielded the cavity and replaced the plastic knobs with black anodised ones. The lightweight and size is great. The neck is quite flat and wide even though it is short scale with good access. I still have the strings on it that it came with. Will need to borrow a micrometer to determine what gauge they are although its possible it won't be standard. I did contact Ibanez on their website but never got a response.
[/quote]

Measured mine at 040/060/075/095"