Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BBT500 FX Blend control problem

tiredolddog

I have a Yamaha BBT500 head that has served perfectly well. I have connected an Envelope Filter pedal in the direct input path to the main pre-amp input and that works. If I insert the pedal in the send/ return FX loop out of the back of the head I get only dry signal, ie zero FX. There is a 'blend' function on the head controlling the FX return mix of dry/wet that should be controllable from 0-100% but regardless of knob twiddling, it remains at 0.0, ie all dry.

Anyone out there have experience of this head? The noise gate adjust similarly does nothing, but all other knobs, and these knobs selected in other modes, all function fine.

Hi, sorry for asking these basic questions but let's do some trouble shooting first:

Are you connecting the FX Loop SEND to the pedal's INPUT and the pedal's OUT to the amp's FX RETURN?
This is the correct way to hook it up, i've found some similar problems in the past (mainly with guitars using Wah pedals and connecting them the wrong way around).

If everything is connected as it should but not working then i would see if the amp has any kind of bypass switch for the FX Loop that may be switched off.

All things failling then it's time to take it to a technician for repair.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1474025922' post='3135061']

All things failling then it's time to take it to a technician for repair.
[/quote]

Had one of these amps which developed a power problem. Three separate techs, all with decent reputations, were completely stumped by it as everything inside was modular, with no repairable parts. Yamaha also stopped any tech support years ago for these.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1474391807' post='3137647']
Effects loops are intended for line level voltage effects, usually 19" rack. An instrument level effect may not work at all in the loop. Some do, some don't.
[/quote]

Very true, but in this case i believe that he's not doing Bass > Pedal > FX Return, i think that the bass in still in the amp's input and the pedal on the FX loop FX Send > Pedal > FX Return.

Without more info from the OP we're just guessing now.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1474458515' post='3138149']
Very true, but in this case i believe that he's not doing Bass > Pedal > FX Return, i think that the bass in still in the amp's input and the pedal on the FX loop FX Send > Pedal > FX Return.

Without more info from the OP we're just guessing now.
[/quote]

That was my point - putting a stompbox in the effects loop isn't normally something I'd recommend, although it works for some pedals it isn't guaranteed to work for everything, and will have a different outcome depending on whether the effects loop is serial or parallel or has a blend control.

What the OP should have done is bought an Envelope filter with a blend control!