Why become a member? ×

Please help me fix a route on my bass?

DawnPatrol1990

Hey everyone.

I could do with someone's expertise and help. I have a BC Rich Mockingbird bass that I fitted an EMG pre amp in to but didn't then have room for a battery so I took it to someone to have them route in a hole for a [url="http://www.bass-parts.com/WebRoot/Store/Shops/61038859/49D0/B7E4/90FC/C2A2/D5EF/C0A8/28BB/4568/Batteriefach_0020_Gotoh_0020_9V.jpg"]Gotoh single battery box[/url]. He managed to mis-measure and now the battery box won't screw in as there's no wood for the screws to screw in to. Not only that but the top of the battery box doesn't actually cover the route hole.
Obviously, I didn't pay the guy for this once I saw it but now I actually don't play my bass as I'm so annoyed with the mess.

What I need is someone who can either route a lip in to the bass for a plastic cover to go in to just like you have with a normal control cavity. Attached below is a picture of the "work" for you to see. If anyone can do this, I would be so appreciative. I'm based in Bedfordshire but if need be, I'll see about having the bass sent off unless anyone knows of anyone in Bedfordshire that can do it?

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1473979152' post='3134761']
Ouch... :(
That's no help, I know. But good luck!
[/quote]

As you can tell, i'm not too pleased with it. Had been looking for a long time to get one of these basses, knew I wanted to change it to active so wasn't too worried about that but didn't realise there wouldn't be space for a battery. That'll teach me next time!

It's one of these beauties. Has a Badass II bridge and Hipshot HB6-C 3/8 ultralites fit to it. Moved the front strap button to cure neck dive and it's... better but not perfect :P haha. Sounds and plays beautiful though.

Edited by DawnPatrol1990

[quote name='Manton Customs' timestamp='1473981152' post='3134777']
What a hideous job he did! I'd be glad to help, but you can probably find someone closer, as posting a neck through bass is no fun. It's not a difficult or lengthy job for anyone with any experience.
[/quote]

Thank you for your reply and yeah, it is a hideous job :( Out of interest, how much would you charge to sort out this mess as I do have a hard case and as said before, could see about possibly couriering it.

Thanks again!

You can try a Yamaha type batterry box, i believe they're bigger:

These are net photos, there's a piece of tape on the batterry lid but you can get an idea. These are definetly bigger as the battery is fitted on it's larger side, so it will require a bigger but shallower hole to be fitted in your bass. I'll see if i can find a better pic of it and post here or i'll take some from my own bass when i get home. Don't worry, there's allways a fix for everything, you just need to take the bass to a proper luthier this time.

Edited by Ghost_Bass

Or go for a Gotoh BB-04 - that one has 2 batteries. Then, maybe you can build in a change-over switch, so you really should never get let down by a battery on a gig! It would also act as an "Off" switch if you switch to an empty battery holder.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gotoh-BB-04W-Double-Battery-Box/281709372264

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1474031471' post='3135137']
I suppose the other thing would be to get a preamp/pickup set which needed 18 volts -
which would need a two-battery route, which would be bigger, which would obliterate the evidence of this foulup.
[/quote]
EMG actually work even better on 18V.. not so much louder, just better headroom.

Some of the solutions on here are greatly appreciated, thank you. I haven't been online for a few days because of work so that's why I haven't been on to reply on here. I am considering making the bass 18v as it is running two EMG MMCS-X pickups as well as the EMG BTS 2 band EQ (Sounds so damn good btw!) so it would make sense to do that.
The guy I took it to WAS a "professional" so had no excuses for the mess he made. I considered the double Gotoh battery box but now surely it won't cover up the mistake that's been made as I think he's actually made it too long as well as too wide, the single box didn't cover the hole at all?

A lot to ponder at the moment!

Sounds like the best solution for this is to get a custom made plate made and get that let into the back to rest on a lip: in the same way as most control covers do. You will then have a choice of either have to remove screws to change battery, or mount the battery box into the cover. The latter would look odd but it's serviceable.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1474264884' post='3136540']
A simple less sophisticated solution is a surface mounted plate (early Musicman Sabre style) that just sits on the back surface. No reccess needed, the plate can be large enough to hide the 'mess'.
[/quote]

That would be my solution. A piece of Pickguard material larger than the hole and suitable shaped and jobs a good un.
Or a piece of Pickguard material to cover the hole and a cut out to accept the battery box.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1474247992' post='3136519']
Sounds like the best solution for this is to get a custom made plate made and get that let into the back to rest on a lip: in the same way as most control covers do. You will then have a choice of either have to remove screws to change battery, or mount the battery box into the cover. The latter would look odd but it's serviceable.
[/quote]

If i manage to get the route tidied and a lip with a cover put in to it, then I won't worry about having a battery box fitted as that will make it look "smart and uniform" again. Yours is a good idea though!

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1474264884' post='3136540']
A simple less sophisticated solution is a surface mounted plate (early Musicman Sabre style) that just sits on the back surface. No reccess needed, the plate can be large enough to hide the 'mess'.
[/quote]

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1474277006' post='3136625']
That would be my solution. A piece of Pickguard material larger than the hole and suitable shaped and jobs a good un.
Or a piece of Pickguard material to cover the hole and a cut out to accept the battery box.
[/quote]

The old surface mount idea would be a good one but the other control cavity is flush mount (and i know this is going to sound stupid) so my OCD would forever pick at me knowing it's not the same haha. I have an old 1ply black pick guard laying around though so I may cut that up for temporary measure just so I stop using a piece of foam to cover it :)

That really is bad, especially from someone who charges money for such things. I'm a complete amateur and I managed to fit a battery box to my Yamaha SBV500 without butchering the thing. My battery box screwed into the bottom of the hole though - maybe one like I used might rectify the situation?

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1474466048' post='3138221']
Jeysus, somebody charged actual money for that work? Looks like freehand dremel work. Name and shame!!
[/quote]

I don't think it's fair to name and shame but this person is Bedfordshire based so please do research before hand is you're around here haha.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1474471629' post='3138264']
That really is bad, especially from someone who charges money for such things. I'm a complete amateur and I managed to fit a battery box to my Yamaha SBV500 without butchering the thing. My battery box screwed into the bottom of the hole though - maybe one like I used might rectify the situation?

[/quote]

That's a really good job you've done there, I did consider one of those type by the body of my bass is too thin for one of those. So, I've gone for a temporary measure... found an old pick guard and made this:

Doesn't look too bad and it'll do the job for now. Need to find 4 matching screws though haha!
Thanks to the suggestion of the musicman styled one which gave me the influence for this :)

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1474031950' post='3135144']
Or go for a Gotoh BB-04 - that one has 2 batteries. Then, maybe you can build in a change-over switch, so you really should never get let down by a battery on a gig! It would also act as an "Off" switch if you switch to an empty battery holder.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gotoh-BB-04W-Double-Battery-Box/281709372264"]http://www.ebay.co.u...ox/281709372264[/url]
[/quote]

What a excelent idea and very creative. It would be great for my TBR5PII as it has active pickups and no passive operation but i won't be hacking it for the sake of nothing... i'll keep carrying the extra battery in the gig bag. But it's really a very good idea for a custom build or mod in a lower value bass.