Why become a member? ×

NBD - Shuker J Bass Custom

cgg199

I've had this bass for a few days now and have finally got round to taking some pictures so here it is!

It's a Shuker J Bass Custom, and had been waiting for a buyer for a while, so when I took my Fender P to Jon for a fret level (which cost half what I was quoted by a local luthier, and the work was impeccable), I thought I'd have a play, and then I had to buy it!

The feel of the bass is far superior to any bass I've played before, including Sadowsky Metros and American Fenders. The Aaron Armstrong pickups are lovely and along with the THD tone circuit and coil splitting switch I am able to get a whole range of tones, from vintage sounding through to modern hifi tones. The carbon reinforcement in the neck is also a big plus for me.

I'd recommend Jon to anyone, whether you want a bass to be built or just some form of setup. His work is fantastic and his prices are great. I mean, I got a hand built instrument for less than a Fender or Gibson!

Here are some more pics anyway...

A bit blurry but you can see the grain and the stainless steel frets!

There we have it, my new bass!

Edited by cgg199

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1474017219' post='3134897']
Lovely bass mate, congratulations!
Can you give us more info on the THD circuit?...

Cheers,
Eude
[/quote]

Rather than one continuously variable tone pot, it is a five-way selector with presets for the tone. I believe there is an individual capacitor for each setting. It basically just makes the tone control more useable rather it being on, off or somewhere in middle. Hope that helps

[quote name='cgg199' timestamp='1474018857' post='3134933']
Rather than one continuously variable tone pot, it is a five-way selector with presets for the tone. I believe there is an individual capacitor for each setting. It basically just makes the tone control more useable rather it being on, off or somewhere in middle. Hope that helps
[/quote]

Perfect, thanks mate!
Sounds like a pretty useful setup, and without batteries!

Eude

Just beautiful, I've eyed this bass up more than once I can tell you. Jon's work is impeccable and I'd recommend him without any hesitation. The man has golden hands when it comes to luthiery and boy does he know his woods and electronics. He's designed his own preamps too from scratch and they are very good indeed.

Oh and visit his wood store at your wallet's peril for no one leaves that building without drawing up a custom order :) yippee! :)

Jon is an absolute magician. I took my black and maple stingray with a 'sticky' neck to him and he brought it back to life with a tinted gloss lacquered finish which is absolutely flawless.

At some point in the future I'd love to order a P bass, possibly a JJ 😍