Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Promethean 3110

Al Krow

Hey BCs any thoughts on this amp? I'm looking for something really lightweight but powerful (combo) for rehearsals. At 21 lbs and 300W this seems to tick the boxes!

If you've played one please let me have your views and / or if you can recommend something better at a comparable weight?

Right...I'd better head off for a gig with my 50s / 60s band "The Corvids" in Bethnal Green tonight :)

Look forward to catching up soon.

Al

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1474149688' post='3135987']
Used one fairly recently at a jam session. Nice combo - small, neat and very clean sounding. Punchy for their size, but you really need the add on speaker to get enough out of them to compete with a drummer.
[/quote]

And yes, I'd concur if you want to gig with one in anger with a drummer, you'll need the additional cab.

Guys - many thanks for that positive feedback. Waterpftyne can you say a bit more as to why its been such a great piece of kit for you?

A couple of you both make reference to the "first" version. Is that the P5110 as opposed to the current P3110? Some of the comments on the net suggest that the P3110 has been a retrograde step - but I'm hoping still a really good piece of kit?

Ok I couldn't find anything else that came close to matching this amp's portability and 300W power at that price point so I took the plunge and got the old credit card out to acquire a P3110 from Thomann UK...will hopefully be receiving and unboxing in the next few days :)

The new models are in fact weaker (not just in power) than their predecessors. They have a tendency to break down more easily and the core tone isn't the same, they lack some of that incredible authority and (can i say it?) heft that the tiny P5110's had. I have a P5110 and a friend had a P3115 so i've played with both and can write this post IME.

If it were me i'd be looking at the Fender Rumbles or GK MB combos or trying to find a used P5110 on the market.

Edit: In fact, if someone is looking to get rid of a P5210 let me know ;)

Edited by Ghost_Bass

@Ghost Bass. Agree that the Fender and GK are likely to be better bits of kit, given their pedigree. But my key driver here is something that is uber-portable which can also pack a punch for band rehearsal use. The P3110 is a tiny 21lbs and delivers 300W which I can line out to a larger cab at the studio for a fuller sound. If I was to compare similar power / price points do you agree I would be looking at a Fender Rumble 200 (35 lbs) or GK mb 112-II 200 (28 lbs)? Neither of these deliver a massive weight advantage to, and definitely would lack the punch and quality of, my existing gigging amp 500W Markbass AC (36lbs).

But the proof of the pudding is going to be in the playing ... hopefully there won't be a brand new Promethian P3110 shortly joining that P5110 on Gumtree!

• 2 weeks later...

Tried out the Promethian at band rehearsal for the first time tonight, which included some heavy rock covers (e.g. AC/DC; GnR). Verdict from the band - they could hear the bass pretty ok. IMO - it held its own but didn't have much headroom despite its 300W rating. In terms of sound quality it was certainly as good as the studio backline (which are old, tired and unfortunately not looked after by all users, but that's just a fact of life). Whilst it is clearly never going to take the place of my MarkBass A/C for gigging, as a portable rehearsal amp it seems to be doing the job: I managed to shift all my gear in just one trip from the car. And it will pay for itself in 1 year from saved backline hire fees, so it's not going on Gumtree just yet!

Ah thanks for that word of encouragement! I was going to connect my little amp to a 1x15 extension cab at the studio except I had the wrong connecter lead (needed a 1/4" to female XLR for this particular cab), but sounds like that could improve things a fair bit. I will go properly armed next time around in case we end up in the same room. In fact, let me go dig out that lead right now before I forget... :)

Had a rehearsal with my rock n roll band tonight. Connected the Promethian to a 4x10 extension cab and it sounded just fine and easily held its own with the rest of the band. Am now very pleased with the purchase, having put it through an extension cab and I'd be happy to recommend this bit of kit to anyone looking for the ultimate portable combo.