Why become a member? ×

Strings for NS Design EUB?

Jean-Luc Pickguard

NS users - how often do you change your strings?

I have had my NS Design CR-5M for ten years and it still has the stock strings so it might be worth thinking about changing them. They seem OK at the moment, so maybe they'll last forever, and the cost of a replacement set of the stock ones is rather scary.

The GHS Crossover strings for NS EUB seem to be available for about £70 for a 5 string set if you shop around, with the D'addario contemporary 5 string set about double that amount.

I really like the pizz sound on the demo video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBnCxCmh-Mk

Anyone tried them?

Had my NXT for 4 years, and I haven't changed the strings yet. I did get a friend to bring over some D'Addario traditionals from the US a while back (much cheaper there at the time), as the factory strings didn't sound "upright" enough to me, but I bought a Phil Jones C4 cab, and they do now !!

The GHS strings do look interesting, would love to hear some real world experience from someone who's used them.

Oh that's interesting, I wasn't aware of the GHS Crossovers.

I've tried both the NS standard and the NS traditional strings on my CR4 over the years (I've had the bass 20 years at least). My problem with the standard strings was always their arco character - difficult to get them singing and when they do, they have a decidedly honky tone. The trad strings went too far the other way - too dull and with very high tension. I'm using Thomastik Infeld Spiros now (3/4 size won't fit, you need 4/4 size) - they're expensive but sound really good for both arco and pizz.

I too would like to know more about the GHS strings.

P

• 1 year later...

So, add another 18 months, and I've finally changed my strings ;-)  I've put a set of GHS Crossovers on.

So far all I can report is that they are very bright and twangy at first, they need some time to settle before I can comment on tone. Also they shredded my fingers on last weekends gig, my fault for changing strings so close to a gig, without time to give them a coat of sweat and dirt ;-)

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/3/2018 at 17:40, el-gnomo said:

So, add another 18 months, and I've finally changed my strings ;-)  I've put a set of GHS Crossovers on.

So far all I can report is that they are very bright and twangy at first, they need some time to settle before I can comment on tone. Also they shredded my fingers on last weekends gig, my fault for changing strings so close to a gig, without time to give them a coat of sweat and dirt ;-)

I put a set of GHS Crossovers on my CR4M a few months back but for various reasons I haven't been playing the bass much since.. first thoughts.. compared to the stock D'addario's they seem to have more depth and punch to them and the bass sounds a bit more upright'ish which is a plus.. mine still feel a bit tacky to the touch and I agree that they are not nearly as smooth as the original strings which are basically just a flatwound... the one big difference is the lack of sustain compared to the D'addario's which I had gotten used to and came to really like, especially on the G string, the mwah factor is nowhere near as pronounced.. I understood from the description of the Crossovers that I should expect this but there is quite a dramatic difference... so the jury is still out for now, I have some upright gigs coming up so we'll see how they feel with a bit more gigging time on them.. the 10 year old D'addario's may go back on yet!  B|

On 03/05/2018 at 10:43, Tradfusion said:

I put a set of GHS Crossovers on my CR4M a few months back but for various reasons I haven't been playing the bass much since.. first thoughts.. compared to the stock D'addario's they seem to have more depth and punch to them and the bass sounds a bit more upright'ish which is a plus.. mine still feel a bit tacky to the touch and I agree that they are not nearly as smooth as the original strings which are basically just a flatwound... the one big difference is the lack of sustain compared to the D'addario's which I had gotten used to and came to really like, especially on the G string, the mwah factor is nowhere near as pronounced.. I understood from the description of the Crossovers that I should expect this but there is quite a dramatic difference... so the jury is still out for now, I have some upright gigs coming up so we'll see how they feel with a bit more gigging time on them.. the 10 year old D'addario's may go back on yet!

I think I've convinced myself the 'sticky' feeling is actually down to the abrasiveness of the ground wire wrap, but it does seem to have reduced a bit over playing. (I've been thinking about rubbing them down with some very fine sandpaper, but will only resort to that if it gets desperate!)

I would agree with you about the tone, they have a more low mid bump, where the standard strings have a more high mid (to my ear). On their own, or in a small group, with reasonable volume, the crossovers sound much more like an upright, and sound good. In larger bands with a lot more volume I find they get a bit lost in the mix.

• 3 months later...