Why become a member? ×

Schertler Dyn B

Fabio

Hi all. I've a couple of questions about jazz double bass amplification by Schertler Dyn-B.

Has anyone compared the old Schertler Dyn-B and the new Dyn-B-P48 ? Is there any difference in sound?

Has anyone used the Dyn B with a SR Technology combo? I'd like to know your opinions about SR 300BB, SR Jam 150, SR Jam 400, SR Bass Fidelity 10.

Thank you.
Fabio

• 2 weeks later...

Never used the Dyn-B; but according to Schertler it's an improvement on the old model. I guess they would say that...
Old one was 15v phantom, this one is 48v.
I've used the Stat-B for years. Great pickup, head and shoulders above most and easily one of the best on the market. Can be a bit peaky on amplifying the attack, esp if it goes FOH.
Current amp is an SR tech BB300. Great little amp - really clear and hi-fi. Only gripe is the 30hz frequency response which is totally unnecessary for DB. I mostly have the bass cut by the full 15db.
Also have an SR tech Live 300 speaker, which works great for bass too.
My advice if you're looking at Schertler gear is to think about your sound and how you want to sound. Schertler philosophy seems to be a bit more "old school" in tonal character. For example, if I follow their advice and plug in through the effects loop, I lose a lot of the character of my sound - mid growls and sparkle disappears and bright, singing spirocores sound much more muted.