Why become a member? ×

OTB 500 vs Streamliner 900 - any experience?

BassTractor

Trying to sell my Streamliner 900, and a potential customer asks me to compare it to the OTB 500, but I don't have experience enough for a good answer.

Can anyone help me here?
My personal impression from the few minutes these amps have been switched on was that the Orange basically had one character, but suitable to what I call a broad pop/rock range, whilst the Genz seemed way more flexible to me.
Correct?

The customer asks about guts - probably as in felt power and the like, but I have no idea. Can one say something in general without knowing the exact cabs he's gonna use it on?

What would you tell this guy?

Thanks!

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1474231509' post='3136452']
Steamliner = more headroom, round, clearer and cleaner.
Orange = growly/grindy, won't stay as clean at volume.
[/quote]

Thanks, man!
That fits rather nicely with the impression I had from reading on BC and from the few minutes of experience I had with them on my Little Bastard cabs.

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1474231509' post='3136452']
Also, I'd tell him to do his own homework! It's not like it's hard to find info on either of those two.
[/quote]

Nah. I think it's a reasonable question. He didn't boss me around or demand I provide the info. He was just asking a question he assumed I knew the answer to. Reading about both individually is not the same as comparing them directly, which he assumes I've done.
Likewise, I do not boss around or demand in this thread. I just hope someone has compared them, and is willing to share the knowledge.

When I bought my Streamliner I did an A/B with the OTB500.

I'd agree with what has been said - the OTB was quite limited in its tone and the EQ didn't seem to do much either.

The Streamliner had a much cleaner tone available that you could choose to grind up with the use of the 'Gain' button on the amp, or a pedal.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1474287708' post='3136792']

Thanks, man!
That fits rather nicely with the impression I had from reading on BC and from the few minutes of experience I had with them on my Little Bastard cabs.

Nah. I think it's a reasonable question. He didn't boss me around or demand I provide the info. He was just asking a question he assumed I knew the answer to. Reading about both individually is not the same as comparing them directly, which he assumes I've done.
Likewise, I do not boss around or demand in this thread. I just hope someone has compared them, and is willing to share the knowledge.
[/quote]

Fair enough. Good luck with the sale. Not that you should need it! Lots of people love those amps!

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1474290694' post='3136843']
The Orange is much darker and grits up quickly. Very 'thick' rock tone.

The Streamliner ca add grit, I real shines as sounding like a high end tube pre-amp....and will be able to offer clean pristine yet warm tones.
[/quote]

[quote name='amnesia' timestamp='1474298982' post='3136924']
I'd agree with what has been said - the OTB was quite limited in its tone and the EQ didn't seem to do much either.

The Streamliner had a much cleaner tone available that you could choose to grind up with the use of the 'Gain' button on the amp, or a pedal.
[/quote]

Thanks to you too, guys!
I had this vague notion in the same rough vain, and you three worded it with heft.
I'll just translate what you have said, and tell him that.
I'd already told him that my rough take was that the Streamliner stayed clean longer and was way more flexible, but the point about the high-end tube pre was new to me (though I did tell him it sounded high-end to my ears, with presence), and I'd forgotten about the OTB's EQ not doing that much.

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1474305493' post='3136989']
Good luck with the sale. Not that you should need it! Lots of people love those amps!
[/quote]

Thanks, M@23 ! I think I do need it! :)
"Fun" fact is that my GBE 750 went for the asking price to the first who showed an interest. The Streamliner gets [b]a lot[/b] more attention, but still, people don't wanna pay to get one.
At some point, I may just go "Up yours, you effin' spoilt Norse brats!", and rather offer it to BC instead. :)

Thanks for the help!
Bert

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1474308281' post='3137014']
I assumed that these were like hot cakes as they seem universally loved.
[/quote]

Yeah, my impression is that they indeed are hot cakes also here in Norway - even though Genz Benz were not imported to Norway AFAIK.
Maybe it's just that my price is too high. I don't think it is, but one never knows. A new Tonehammer isn't much more expensive, and that might just be a part of the explanation.

Edited by BassTractor

I'd take the Orange over a Streamliner any day.

Streamliners always sound muddy and lacking definition to me. Almost exactly the opposite of what I'd be looking for in a bass amp :(

Orange amps tend to be a bit of a 'one trick pony' but if you like that 'trick' they can sound great :(

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1474324331' post='3137210']
I'd take the Orange over a Streamliner any day.
[/quote]

Shshshshshsh!
The potential customer already has a Terror Bass, and I need new glasses! ;)

Seriously though, I've told him I believe the Streamliner basically has a different character rather than more guts, just in case he thinks 900W into 2 Ohm is a lot more than 500W into 4 Ohm.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1474406705' post='3137857']

Shshshshshsh!

Seriously though, I've told him I believe the Streamliner basically has a different character rather than more guts, just in case he thinks 900W into 2 Ohm is a lot more than 500W into 4 Ohm.
[/quote]

Isn't the Streamliner 900w into 4 Ohm?

Yep, the Streamliner is 900w into 4 ohm. I had mine for years, only moved it on for the new Magellan.

If he wants a detailed review of the Streamliner, there's an Ed Friedland (Bass Whisperer) video on YT which covers pretty much everything. The EQ can take some getting used to, as it's interactive with itself (if that makes sense), but there's lots of tones in there, from old school valvey to clean and clear (given it's got three EQ valves). The one thing I will say is it's sensitive to cabs - there's tons of bottom end, which can get bloomy with the wrong cabs - IME it suits more bottom-attenuated cabs.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1474436816' post='3137949']
Isn't the Streamliner 900w into 4 Ohm?
[/quote]

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1474441123' post='3137978']
Yep, the Streamliner is 900w into 4 ohm.

[...]

it's interactive with itself (if that makes sense),
[/quote]

Oops!
Thanks, guys! I've updated him with this now.

Yes, Muzz, that makes sense. :)
It has no friends, and talks with itself.... just like me now I think of it, so I'm keeping it! ;)
But yeah, I remember that aspect from BC, and had the same experience. The GBE is more straightforward.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1474406705' post='3137857']

Shshshshshsh!

[/quote]

Sorry - I didn't read the very first post properly. I thought some was just asking for opinions of each amp :(

Streamliner imo is a superb amp, but yes, cabs make a huge difference.
Just as a short point;
with B/F Super Twelve, bass rotary back to 9 o'clock, low mids boosted
with Scroeder 2 x 12 (tweeter off), bass rotary at 1 o/clock, low mids cut

That to get a tone as close as I can get to JPJ on Zepp 11

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1474455623' post='3138110']
Sorry - I didn't read the very first post properly. I thought some was just asking for opinions of each amp :(
[/quote]

Ah! You need new glasses too! Then just sell your Jule and Demeter. ;)

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1474456588' post='3138128']
Streamliner imo is a superb amp, but yes, cabs make a huge difference.
Just as a short point;
with B/F Super Twelve, bass rotary back to 9 o'clock, low mids boosted
with Scroeder 2 x 12 (tweeter off), bass rotary at 1 o/clock, low mids cut

That to get a tone as close as I can get to JPJ on Zepp 11
[/quote]

Zepp went to eleven? :o
I always thought they just went to nine!

Thanks, Karl! :)

[quote name='bassmachine2112' timestamp='1474475563' post='3138298']
Terror does 500 into 8 ohm as well,kinda think that is a cool feature that more amp makers could consider.
[/quote]

Aye. I read an article once explaining something about how that should be the case for all output transistor based amps, and why it nevertheless is not. Forgot the technical intricacies though. :blush:

[quote name='bobbytodd' timestamp='1474712795' post='3139988']
I found the trick with the streamliner is to roll the bass knob back to 9 - 10 o'clock and boost the mids.id never sell mine I love it
[/quote]

Exactly what I do too. And boost the upper mids. Played through an old Peavey 410 in the rehearsal space this week and had to set the bass back to 8 o'clock.