Why become a member? ×

Wot, no new Beatles film and album thread

PaulWarning

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1475189366' post='3143971']

No facts - remember? Just your not so humble opinion.

Maybe - but I kinds get the feeling that if you were get hold of some of Paul McCartney's used toilet paper you'd be saying it was an artistic masterpiece.
[/quote]

Not me.

Blue

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1475264384' post='3144621']
Maybe time machines will be built after your gone blue then that generation will be able enjoy past,present and future bands!?
[/quote]

Then you really get to be here, there, and everywhere...........

See what I did there? :ph34r:

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1475220006' post='3144047']

Believe me, I'm excercising a lot of restraint!

If there were no Beatles, there would still have been a David Bowie and there would still have been a Frank Zappa. FZ may not have performed I Am The Walrus at Wembley Arena on April 18th 1988, but I regard that as a small price to pay.

Here's a question for you Blue - The Beatles in Mono or Stereo?
[/quote]

Mono of course.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1475266426' post='3144653']

I would have put money on that :-)
[/quote]

Get the Mono, it's brilliant. If you're a completist get both.

Has anyone bought the new album as mentioned in the thread title? I hear that it's also excellent - remastered live at Hollywood bowl.

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1475307752' post='3144863']
Get the Mono, it's brilliant. If you're a completist get both.

Has anyone bought the new album as mentioned in the thread title? I hear that it's also excellent - remastered live at Hollywood bowl.
[/quote]it's on Spotify, worth a listen but only a few times before the screaming gets very annoying, it's hard to believe they couldn't hear what they were playing, some bands don't sound that good with IEM

The two people I know who have bought the Beatles Mono box set both rave about the superiority of Mono. This may be true or possibly a defence/justification of the £150 odd it cost :D

I've not heard the mono versions myself bit really like the stereo separation in the 'standard' CDs that I have.

The Mono versions are on Spotify you say? That's the next week or two sorted then :)

I have the Beatles Recording Sessions book by Mark Lewison. Its quite an interesting read. The Beatles and George Martin worked together on the mono versions. The stereo versions were almost an afterthought. None of The Beatles took stereo seriously. In the 60,s it was considered a gimmick. The only album issued in stereo only, was Abbey Road.
By 1969 mono was on the way out.

In 2016, mono mixing is still [i]de rigueur[/i] in the best studios, as a test of balance between the instruments, and across the frequency spectrum. The releases are in stereo (mostly...), but they've been checked out to sound 'top notch' in mono, first.

I often wonder about the benefits of stereo, ok with headphones on you can hear it, but how many of us sit down and listen in the right position between the speakers? I know I don't, I usually have music on while I'm doing something else, even in the car there's that much background noise fidelity goes out of the (car) window

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1475327558' post='3145074']
I often wonder about the benefits of stereo, ok with headphones on you can hear it, but how many of us sit down and listen in the right position between the speakers?[/quote]

I do more often than not, for listening for enjoyment rather than background anyway; the soundstage in doing so can be immense.
I always use mono records to set up my stereo if it's ever moved so that the exact same levels come out of each speaker and blends in the middle.

From Flanders and Swann's live album "At the Drop of a Hat":

Flanders (indicating the microphones on stage):

[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][i]This is perhaps a good moment to explain that we don't normally have these things standing around here, but tonight they are recording this - stereophonically, in fact - for posterity. So wherever you're sitting now, that's where you'll be on the record.[/i][/font][/color]

• 5 weeks later...

Went to see the Film last night, and I did enjoy it, but I would wouldn't I?, didn't see or learn hardly anything I'd not seen or known before before, if you're going make sure you don't leave the cinema as the final credits roll, as some did, because then you get the Shea Stadium gig, bit strange I thought, I sat there watching the Shea gig and started thinking about another thread on here about Cliff Richard sanitising Rock and Roll, if you compare the two, ( the Shea gig and the Cliff video of him doing Roll Over Beethoven) hopefully you'll get what I'm on about

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1478169771' post='3167212']
Went to see the Film last night, and I did enjoy it, but I would wouldn't I?, didn't see or learn hardly anything I'd not seen or known before before, if you're going make sure you don't leave the cinema as the final credits roll, as some did, because then you get the Shea Stadium gig, bit strange I thought, I sat there watching the Shea gig and started thinking about another thread on here about Cliff Richard sanitising Rock and Roll, if you compare the two, ( the Shea gig and the Cliff video of him doing Roll Over Beethoven) hopefully you'll get what I'm on about
[/quote]

I was at the Shea Show. I still can't believe they played a stadium gig with no PA. I don't think a true PA was even conceptual at the time.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1478231210' post='3167750']
I was at the Shea Show. I still can't believe they played a stadium gig with no PA. I don't think a true PA was even conceptual at the time.

Blue
[/quote]I think there was a PA of sorts, during the film it said they used the stadium PA and it looked like there was narrow speakers propped up with bits of wood around the stage area so did you hear anything apart from the screaming?

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1478251432' post='3167821']
I think there was a PA of sorts, during the film it said they used the stadium PA and it looked like there was narrow speakers propped up with bits of wood around the stage area so did you hear anything apart from the screaming?
[/quote]

Yes. Those little metal cones the announcers used for sporting events, hardly an integrated PA.

I'm not even sure Ringo's kick was miced or if they had stage monitors.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1478169771' post='3167212']
[/quote]

I didn't know they told a promoter down south to take a hike on his racially segregated show.

Blue

• 4 months later...

you've got to admire the inventiveness of whoever looks after the Beatles back catalogue, a master class in how many times you can sell the same stuff and over and over, still while mugs will buy it why not? and when you've run out of formats just go back to vinyl again, you couldn't make it up