Why become a member? ×

Wot, no new Beatles film and album thread

PaulWarning

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1474290903' post='3136846']
I'll never understand why you guys mock and have very little appreciation for this incredible part of music history which is yours. Or is pride another culture difference?

Blue
[/quote]
Blue, if that post is a genuine reply to mine, then I have to say you are propagating the belief that American's do not understand irony.

Like it or not, Beatles fans: Oasis are the new generation(s) singalong-a-classic band. I see it every single gig.

Our singer does daytime gigs as a solo man-and-acoustic thing in old people's homes. I asked him was his setlist was for gigs like that. "Mostly the Beatles...goes down well"... :(

The world turns...

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1474317804' post='3137151']
Blue, if that post is a genuine reply to mine, then I have to say you are propagating the belief that American's do not understand irony.
[/quote]

To be fair, British music has a better export history than British humour.

It's strange how the American people knocked back comedy giants like Morecambe and Wise yet have taken appalling, malodorous sub-humans like Ricky Gervais, Russell Brand and James Corden unto their collective bosom there to be rewarded with largesse and adulation.

It's not a funny old world, really.

[quote name='6feet7' timestamp='1474313553' post='3137086']

OK. I'm going to say it then. I don't like the Beatles. But I also don't like anything any of them did individually afterwards either. Whatever their influence I just don't get it or them.
[/quote]

Not liking them is understandable, not understanding or denying their place in music history is another story.

Blue

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1474320094' post='3137179']

To be fair, British music has a better export history than British humour.

It's strange how the American people knocked back comedy giants like Morecambe and Wise yet have taken appalling, malodorous sub-humans like Ricky Gervais, Russell Brand and James Corden unto their collective bosom there to be rewarded with largesse and adulation.

It's not a funny old world, really.
[/quote]

A lot of the humour out of the UK goes over my head.

You have to dumb it down for Yankees like me.

For example, Monty Python. Their jokes went over my head. But the funny walking was hilarious.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1474317804' post='3137151']

[/quote]

I don't think it was.

I'm sure as a nation we understand irony. I just happen to be the dim bulb in the lot.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1474312209' post='3137069']

Yes, Ringo mentioned that in a recent interview.

I also understand their first stint in Hamburg was 6 months. Then I think they got deported because of George's age.

Thanks for sharing the tid bit Paul.

Blue
[/quote]

No problem Blue. You'll be glad to know there are some Brits who think The Beatles are amazing.

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1474314927' post='3137108']

"Would The Beatles be as successful (or influential) if they'd have been formed in the 70's, 80's or 90's" is a nice, dinner table debate. Guess what I'd say?
[/quote]

Probably not, because somebody else would've done the groundwork by then. Part of the genius of The Beatles, other than the incredible songwriting and everything else was that they were pretty much making it up as they went along. There was no 'manual' to follow; they were writing the manual. They set the template that every band or artist that has come after has followed, whether directly or indirectly.

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1474310721' post='3137043']
I think there are too many "famous" people now, far more outlets and reality tv etc, being limited to four tv channels as a kid , three until I was 6 years old meant it was easier to know all the celebs of the time.
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1474311685' post='3137062']
Ah, yes. Whatever happened to Rolf Harris? You don't see much of him on TV now, do you?
[/quote]

It was easier to know all the celebs of the time.... the downside being that was "know" in the biblical sense! :o

When The Beatles first recorded at Abbey Road, They were not taken that seriously. They where looked down upon by the older generation as disposable kiddies music. As a result the staff didnt try too hard on recording them as they did their seasoned acts on their EMI roster.
It wasnt until they became EMI's golden goose that they where taken seriously.

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1474314927' post='3137108']
Their skill was knowing when to change and by how much - so "Love Me Do" became "Paperback Writer" then "Strawberry Fields Forever" and finally "Come Together". As the world changed, the Beatles were one step ahead, responding to trends, but setting them as well.
[/quote]

I think this is it, in a nutshell. You can virtually hear them progress as artists from song to song almost day by day. The changes in songwriting over the course of 7 or 8 years is quite astounding. A lot of modern bands might make 3 albums in that time and not progress a tenth of the way.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1474382472' post='3137535']
IME people don't normally like it when bands change direction, which is probably why modern bands tend to stay on a similar tack
[/quote]

I don't think that's a recent phenomenon - the money men at the record companies have always wanted "more of the same" from their successful artists. The Beatles were allowed a lot of leeway because of their stature - even when it came to how close to the drums they were allowed to put the mics! (Documented in Revolution in the Head IIRC.)

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1474382472' post='3137535']
IME people don't normally like it when bands change direction, which is probably why modern bands tend to stay on a similar tack
[/quote]
i find that bands these days get stick for changing their sound, but if they don't they just get accused of doing the same old thing.

i quite like it when a band takes a chance and does something different, especially if it is done well.

Well I'll be taking my 14 year old son to see it. He's mad on them. After having to listen to the red and blue compilation albums over and over again for months, I've finally managed to get him into Sgt Pepper and Abbey Road (for selfish reasons mainly - bit of variety :D). Still working on the White album...

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1474362044' post='3137338']

Probably not, because somebody else would've done the groundwork by then. Part of the genius of The Beatles, other than the incredible songwriting and everything else was that they were pretty much making it up as they went along. There was no 'manual' to follow; they were writing the manual. They set the template that every band or artist that has come after has followed, whether directly or indirectly.
[/quote]

Excellent point but not sure about that question.

Blue

Edited by blue