Why become a member? ×

Wot, no new Beatles film and album thread

PaulWarning

now I'm a big Beatles fan, but how many times can they keep repackaging the same stuff? Reminds of an Ossie Osbourne quote after another Black Sabbath compilation, "it's like digging up a dead prostitute for one last f***" presumably Paul and Ringo have given their approval seeing as they're helping to promote it, do they really need the money, or is it just the adulation.
Apparently George said in 1989 with a sigh "I guess it's never going to end"

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1474274450' post='3136609']
now I'm a big Beatles fan, but how many times can they keep repackaging the same stuff? Reminds of an Ossie Osbourne quote after another Black Sabbath compilation, "it's like digging up a dead prostitute for one last f***" presumably Paul and Ringo have given their approval seeing as they're helping to promote it, do they really need the money, or is it just the adulation.
Apparently George said in 1989 with a sigh "I guess it's never going to end"
[/quote]

Have you seen the film yet? What did you think?

I,ll wait for the dvd. :)

Incidentally, This thread reminds me of my other barrel scraping thread from a few years back.
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/218556-bottom-of-the-barrel-scraping-beatles/page__p__2228790__hl__bottom%20of%20the%20barrel__fromsearch__1#entry2228790

Edited by Hobbayne

I'd like to see it purely because I'm a sucker for Beatles history, there's previously unseen footage and despite Ron Howard not exactly being my favourite director, he does know how to tell a good story in a positive way. I bet it rattles along pretty sharpish. And I could do with cheering up. Plus, it's a documentary and not some God-awful coke-fuelled plagiarised Hollywood bullcrap. Again.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1474276735' post='3136620']
You had to be there apparently or something like that......
[/quote]

Exactly, if you weren't there it's hard to explain. Actually impossible to explain.

And I believe the level of Beatlemania was a lot higher in the States.

Blue

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1474280748' post='3136694']
I'd like to see it purely because I'm a sucker for Beatles history, there's previously unseen footage and despite Ron Howard not exactly being my favourite director, he does know how to tell a good story in a positive way. I bet it rattles along pretty sharpish. And I could do with cheering up. Plus, it's a documentary and not some God-awful coke-fuelled plagiarised Hollywood bullcrap. Again.
[/quote]

I saw some of the interviews with Ron, Paul and Ringo. The movie is about The Beatles early touring years, 1963-1965.

I can't wait to see it.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1474284977' post='3136749']
i had a listen to some of their stuff, but they just seem to be ripping off Oasis.
[/quote]

I'll never understand why you guys mock and have very little appreciation for this incredible part of music history which is yours. Or is pride another culture difference?

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1474290903' post='3136846']
I'll never understand why you guys mock and have very little appreciation for this incredible part of music history which is yours. Or is pride another culture difference?

Blue
[/quote]

This

Also we are sarcastic and ironic in the UK. So sometimes what we say is the exact opposite of what we mean.

Edited by 6feet7

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1474290903' post='3136846']... Or is pride another culture difference?...
[/quote]

Pride in one's [i]own [/i]personal feats, I can understand (and, on occasions, experience...). Pride in the achievements of [i]others [/i]I cannot understand, and have never felt. It seems odd, to me, as a characteristic. Maybe it's just me..? :unsure:

My daughter took me and we had a thoroughly enjoyable evening. [Apart from the woman behind who sang every song, not quite in key]

Although there was nothing really new, they showed film of an early tour footage at the ABC in Manchester and the infamous Shea Stadium concert.

Through the medium of modern technology [ or rerecording bits], the sound from these concerts was great.

They have been and continue to be my favourite group,and I will continue to lap up every new [money making] thing they reissue.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1474274450' post='3136609']
now I'm a big Beatles fan, but how many times can they keep repackaging the same stuff?
[/quote]

Eh what? An album that has been out of print for what must be over 25 years, has never appeared on CD or any post-vinyl format, and has received a stunning 21st century sonic upgrade? The answer to your question is "Once".
What's your problem with that?

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1474291175' post='3136850']

Didn't you say you were about 8 years old at the time?
[/quote]

8 or 9 years old.To me it was the perfect age , until The Beatles came along the only clear thought I had in my head was "get candy".

Blue

[quote name='bumnote' timestamp='1474291393' post='3136856']
My daughter took me and we had a thoroughly enjoyable evening. [Apart from the woman behind who sang every song, not quite in key][/quote]

I'm going to take my youngest son. He's 27, hopefully he'll learn something.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1474290903' post='3136846']

Blue
[/quote]

And that's exactly it. It is history. And while the majority of pop/rock musicians who have come in their wake have to a certain extent stood upon the shoulders of the Beatles to get where they are, as time goes on their influence becomes less and less relevant. Here in 2016 two of them are dead and the other two might as well be for all the impact they have had on popular music in the last 20 or so years.

Even when I was getting into music at the age of 10 in 1971, to me the Beatles were already old hat. And as a band they were no longer playing together and therefore they weren't releasing any new material. I quite liked one of Ringo's singles and thought that Wings made a couple of decent albums, but when there plenty of bands coming out with new and exciting music, why bother with a band that isn't going to be releasing anything new?

Made nostalgia is something you get more into as you get older?