Why become a member? ×

Fender American Series being discontinued.

fretmeister

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1476484251' post='3154789']
The problem is I think that the USA models while being good basses are not that far apart from even the cheaper Squire models never mind the mim models.
[/quote]

I have three Precisions, one Squier, one MiM and one US Standard. All are fairly recent and there is a clear step up in sound, feel and general quality from cheapest to most expensive.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1476507623' post='3154846']
I still think at £1099 they are pushing it....
[/quote]
I was hoping for something closer to £900, that would probably have made me head down to GAK to go try one, I think I'd rather wait and see what Fender are doing with the line now.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1476516427' post='3154869']
I have three Precisions, one Squier, one MiM and one US Standard. All are fairly recent and there is a clear step up in sound, feel and general quality from cheapest to most expensive.
[/quote]

I`m similar Dave, have an MiM and two US Standards and the US are noticeably better, in as you say, sound, feel and general quality. I`ve added the same pickup to my MiM and a hi-mass bridge to get it as near to the US as I can, and these have pushed it nearer, but the US still feels more substantial underhand.

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1476489568' post='3154831']

The 'Update' is a rumoured new US series called 'Professional' speculation I've heard/read is that not much is gonna change, but there are some features that will be changing, truss wheel, compound radiuses, bone nut. These sorts of changes bring the 'Professional' more in line with the Elite series released this year.
[/quote]

Sounds like rather desperate marketing, the American Standard brand has been established a long time and people know what to expect from it.

I'm also put off by people who put "professional" in their brand name - always makes me think it isn't; like Tywin Lannister put it "Any man who must say "I am the king", is no true king".

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1476521648' post='3154916']
I'm also put off by people who put "professional" in their brand name - always makes me think it isn't; like Tywin Lannister put it "Any man who must say "I am the king", is no true king".
[/quote]

I remember a classic saying, professionals built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1476525713' post='3154953']
I remember a classic saying, [b]professionals built the Titanic[/b], amateurs built the Ark.
[/quote]

She was alright when she left Belfast. :P Built by Irishmen, sunk by an Englishman. :D

Now, back on topic.

Frank.

Edited by machinehead

As long as they're top notch I'm not bothered what they're called. Fender don't put the name of the series on the headstock to my knowledge.

Also the new compound fretboard they put on the elite is excellent. And we all know the truss wheel rules them all.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1476521251' post='3154909']
I`m similar Dave, have an MiM and two US Standards and the US are noticeably better, in as you say, sound, feel and general quality. I`ve added the same pickup to my MiM and a hi-mass bridge to get it as near to the US as I can, and these have pushed it nearer, but the US still feels more substantial underhand.
[/quote]

maybe some kind of blind test is in order for the next Bass bash?

I've got to be honest. I've owned about 7 Fender Jazz basses and not one did I think, wow this is a really great instrument. The only one that came close was an MIJ 1975 RI,amazing tone but it was heavy. I had a CS 1970 Jazz bass Ltd to 50 instruments. It really did nothing for me. Wasn't made that we'll, had a gap in the neck pocket, didn't sound great. This was a £3000 instrument. Possibly way beyond that now. I really would like to play one of the new AV 74 jazz basses though. But all in all I just don't fall for Fender anymore, there is just too much of a negative. Paying over a grand for a chance it might be good and taking the pickguard off and there is a big hole in the bass and that awful routing around the pickups. .. Ta ta. I'm not a Maruszczyk fan boy because i have one, but its proof you can do it way way better and way way cheaper. I want to like Fender as a jazz bass man but they make it very difficult to want there instruments

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1476516427' post='3154869']

[/quote]
[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1476521251' post='3154909']

[/quote]

I've also owned 3 squires, 3 mim basses, 1 mij and a 3 USA basses. As well as working on a fair few various Fenders old and new.
And yes there are steps up in quality every time you go up a range (in general) but the gap isn't large enough for the price increase imo.

Don't get me wrong though I'm a Fender fan!

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1476534061' post='3155021']

maybe some kind of blind test is in order for the next Bass bash?
[/quote]

Good idea.

My prediction is for people to be astonished they genuinely can't tell some of the cheaper models affinity, cv, mim standard from the more expensive ones in tone alone. Or in playability. But in weight and feel there's a difference.
Just like most blind bass tests. In fact wasn't this already done and a mim mark hoppus beat a lot of higher end p basses?

Edited by Twincam

Over the past 30 years I have owned at least a couple of dozen Fender Precision and Jazz basses. Starting with Japanese Squires (with the large Fender decal) then Japanese Fenders through to USA models including the original Elites. I now own one Mexican Reggie Hamilton Jazz and a Japanese P-Lyte as my only active Fenders, all others have been gradually swapped out for 2008 and later American Standard and Custom Shop models.
In my experience the 2008+ American standard is consistently the best Fender has produced but we are talking about diminishing returns here. Spending another £300+ over a Mexican won't get you a bass massively better and maybe won't even sound better (might be different but better is a matter of taste). But what you will get in my experience only, is better timbers, hardware, fit and finish, hardcase and tools that make it worth the premium.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1476537774' post='3155051']
Good idea.

My prediction is for people to be astonished they genuinely can't tell some of the cheaper models affinity, cv, mim standard from the more expensive ones in tone alone. Or in playability. But in weight and feel there's a difference.
Just like most blind bass tests. In fact wasn't this already done and a mim mark hoppus beat a lot of higher end p basses?
[/quote]

Yes, based on sound alone the Hoppus was a runaway winner. Beat 50s, 60s and 70s Precisions by a mile. And the runner up was a MiM.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1476521648' post='3154916']

Sounds like rather desperate marketing, the American Standard brand has been established a long time and people know what to expect from it.

[/quote]
Fender change things fairly regular, just look at the deluxe series which is now the elite.

As for its moniker, that's largely a marketing ploy, elite isn't the best name really, it implies that they are the best that fender make, or that the basses are only suited to the 'elite' after all it's just a name!