Why become a member? ×

Fender American Series being discontinued.

fretmeister

I've heard that the "American professional series" is being built as we speak and will be ready to go by Namm in January...

Apparently the transition between the two will be similar to that between the deluxe and elite last year.

But I'm out of touch with the prices of new fender instruments now so I've no idea if there were huge discounts to be had on the deluxe's before the change.

Not heard anything about spec changes etc.

Edited by AndyTravis

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1474658090' post='3139735']
I do wonder what else they can do.

Reinvent the wheel, rebrand, reinvent, rebrand...

Thy won't go nitro finishes - would stop sales of USA vintage
They won't go active/passive - that'd stop sales of Elite

what can they do?
[/quote]
Headless

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1474669937' post='3139834']

The rumour I heard was a bone nut and a few new colours on offer.
[/quote]
Hmm, I'd be wanting more than that personally!

I'm hoping for something along the lines of: Bone Nut, Compound radiuses, neck options ie jazz on P, P on Jazz, truss wheel, and the use of the RSD bridge which looks and sounds great! As well as those few things, I'd love to see them offer nitro finishes in classic and modern colour schemes, but it's HIGHLY unlikely that they would do that

I recently played an American Std Precision in a music shop and was surprised at just how good it was, easily on a par with what you might expect from something like a US Lakland. Even the CS pickup sounded great (I’m not normally a big fan of stock Fender pickups). At the same time, I tried one of the more expensive MIM P basses, which was very poor in comparison.

To me, Fender’s strength is in producing the classic models that helped to define most genres of popular or rock music over the past 60 years, essentially an American built 4 string passive workhorse bass (either a Precision or a Jazz). I’ve got a Fender P bass, mainly because other people prefer you to use one a lot of time on certain types of gigs. Like others, I would prefer them to concentrate on a limited range (with a few optional upgrades) and to ensure that quality control (a problem in the past) remains high. Discontinuing the American Series would seem to be a move away from that…!

Having been alive during the CBS debacle, I ran a mile from Fender until I found a Black Aerodyne in a Jaoanese music shop.

It looked great and I did not want to put it down. I have had it some time, possible 15 years and I had a setup issue I could not fix.

Took it to the tech at Absolute music and he said he loves to work on the Jap Fenders. They just work. Now Fendet Japan is no more, can any one tell me which company made them?

On another note, my Peavey Milestone IV cost me £50 and was made in Indonesia. The neck is sublime for a "budget" instrument.

There are companies around that will make custom basses for the price of a Fender. That is real custom shop. Why go Fender? Leo made the precision from easily available parts and materials. They were mass production units ( no shame in that) but others have perfected what Leo started ( including Leo).

Use you ears and your eyes. Your wallet and your ears will thank you.

Edited by Chienmortbb

I feel like it would be a shame for Fender USA to stop making their core line, especially when apparently they'd just started to really get it right. Personally I've always thought brand new Fenders were pretty pricey for what you got in comparison with the competition, although I always liked secondhand Japanese Fenders and have owned three (still own two). I feel like my Sadowskys are streets ahead of all the USA Fenders I have tried (and at worst comparable with the CS), and having been bought secondhand are much, much better value.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1474750051' post='3140295']
People see a badge and want it. Like wine, tasting with their eyes. Snobs as most people call them. :)
[/quote]
But there is more to it than that! Fender created such an iconic image and the reference sound for so much of popular music that many band leaders and producers (not to mention audiences) just want to you to turn up with a Fender bass.

I pretty much started out on 70s precisions, but after a few years decided that there were better basses out there and sold them to get a variety of instruments over the years (some great, some not so great). However, I have recently got a couple of American Fenders as that is what people seem to want to see me play in certain genres.

When I got a 57RI Precision a year or so ago the drummer / band leader of one of my bands was going on about a gorgeous bass it was and saying that his (very good) bass playing mate was saying ‘Pete’s got a proper bass at last’! The guitar player (who should know better) was going on about how it sounded better in the mix, etc. Now there is no way that it was better than the Xotic jazz that I was using in that band before, but you cannot deny the appeal that a traditional Fender bass has to so many people, who just think that is what a bass guitar should be…!

Edited by peteb

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1474762872' post='3140382']Fender bass has to so many people, who just think that is what a bass guitar should be…!
[/quote]
Yep. Far too many people listen to bass with their eyes. They really should know better, but IME it's been that way since the 60's, so is unlikely to change.

Thank goodness for the high quality replacement and upgrade industry that grew out of the reality of owning and playing a Fender in the 70's.

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1474760893' post='3140370']
I feel like it would be a shame for Fender USA to stop making their core line, especially when apparently they'd just started to really get it right.
[/quote]

Exactly.

Fender have finally addressed their issues and then they bin the model. Strange decision, but this is where they should have been in 1975.

I was going to say that Fender know their business, but, after getting so close to Chapter 11 maybe they don't.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1474791326' post='3140446']
Thank goodness for the high quality replacement and upgrade industry that grew out of the reality of owning and playing a Fender in the 70's.
[/quote]
Yep - I've never had a Fender that I have kept stock

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1474791692' post='3140451']
Exactly.

Fender have finally addressed their issues and then they bin the model. Strange decision, but this is where they should have been in 1975.

I was going to say that Fender know their business, but, after getting so close to Chapter 11 maybe they don't.
[/quote]
Ironic isn't it - 40 years to sort out QC issues then they stop making them (if it's true of course)!

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1474792661' post='3140461']
I get the 'Fender' sound and how many people want it but so many builders now do it better at a lower price.
[/quote]
You and I know that - unfortunately there are so many others who don't...!

Edited by peteb

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1474807048' post='3140624']
I don't think owning a Fender is snobbish, in the grand scheme of things they aren't that expensive,most of the alternative versions I'd want instead of my US Jazz V cost quite a bit more.
[/quote]
I agree. Owning a Fender is about as snobbish as owning a Ford Fiesta. Turning up down the Dog & Duck with a custom singlecut coffee table, to me that smacks more of bass playing master race. I've owned Fenders built from many countries around the world and I don't have a particular preference for a USA one. I do care that they feel comfortable to play and that they keep their resale value.