Why become a member? ×

Fender American Series being discontinued.

fretmeister

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1474818088' post='3140750']
I didn't say owning one is snobbish. They are very overpriced though.
[/quote]
People still pay that overpriced price often enough that Fender can keep it there. I wish the US series basses could be cheaper but sadly they aren't

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1474818088' post='3140750']
I didn't say owning one is snobbish. They are very overpriced though.
[/quote]
Something is only "overpriced" if they don't sell at the set price which any shop will tell you isn't true, someone mentioned in the G&L thread that even though they were great basses the customers still left with a Fender in their shop, what they are is 'more than you are prepared to pay for one', not overpriced.

The USA P I've just bought 2011 60th Anni. Is the best bass I've owned. Better than my MM Stingray, better than my '04 USA Deluxe J, better than my Lakland Skyline DJ, better than my '86 MIJ Fender P and my MIJ 1998 Jazz.

It's the first Fender I've not wanted to change anything on. Usually it's the electronics, especially on cheaper MIM, MIJ instruments. Everything on this bass is bang on. It just sounds like a Fender should and plays like a bass that has been shaped over time.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem is I think that the USA models while being good basses are not that far apart from even the cheaper Squire models never mind the mim models.

Most people will buy a cheaper model if its nearly as good as the higher end one.

To me it would make total sense if fender USA produced higher end models only. Leaving mexico to the mid/upper mid basses. And squire to the lower end of the market. I just don't think the current USA std is high end enough to distinguish itself over the mim models. Unless they launch a new upgraded std model of course.

This will be a major issue for all manufactures as the very cheapest basses/guitars are now pretty viable instrumemts. In recent times it seems everyone has had a cheap bass that in some way rivals a much much more expensive instrument.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1476484251' post='3154789']
The problem is I think that the USA models while being good basses are not that far apart from even the cheaper Squire models never mind the mim models.

Most people will buy a cheaper model if its nearly as good as the higher end one.

To me it would make total sense if fender USA produced higher end models only. Leaving mexico to the mid/upper mid basses. And squire to the lower end of the market. I just don't think the current USA std is high end enough to distinguish itself over the mim models. Unless they launch a new upgraded std model of course.

This will be a major issue for all manufactures as the very cheapest basses/guitars are now pretty viable instrumemts. In recent times it seems everyone has had a cheap bass that in some way rivals a much much more expensive instrument.
[/quote]
The 'Update' is a rumoured new US series called 'Professional' speculation I've heard/read is that not much is gonna change, but there are some features that will be changing, truss wheel, compound radiuses, bone nut. These sorts of changes bring the 'Professional' more in line with the Elite series released this year.