Why become a member? ×

early 70's fender opinion. A good deal or been done?

JimboJim

I just recently purchased a 1972 fender precision. I bought it off ebay from a dealer who sells vintage gear and

guitars.

It was stated in the add that the bass is in very good condition for the years. Great example... I spoke to the seller

and he told me that the condition is 9/10 and that the bass is very clean and everything is all original.

From what I found when it arrived, it had shaller strap locks, most probably not original volume/ tone knobs.

Everything else looks like it's from 72. Also I found small cracks in the area where tuning pegs are. Looks like

in the laquer ? Ogh and most importantly - the frets are in a bad condition, buzzes on the upper register. I think

they deffinitely need leveling ( looks like they have been changed few times prior) They look pretty shaved off,

they have been leveled off few time before.I think I would need a new refret ?

Otherwise the sound is pretty decent, I mean that early 70's sound spot on. Resonate's quite well, ash body.

Neck is like a baseball bat, chunkiest one I have every played in my life. Prior to this one I had 65 p bass which

was a different beast.

Much heavier than I expected for this bas to be about 4.5 kg. It has flatwound strings which I found a bit dead. I

can't really hear the sparkle of this bass. I guess I might need to get round wound strings on it.

In any case, comming up to the point. I payed for this bass 2030 gbp. Have I been done guys ? Or is it a

reasonable deal considering the problems and cosmetical and lack of some minor non original parts ?

Honestly I was so upset as this was not how it was stated in the add. Plus the seller clearly failed to mention all

these things.

Do you think I should ask for a parcial refund to compensate for the new fret job and for some

non original parts and cracks in the laquer/ possibly in the wood ?

Here are some photo's attached bellow:

Honestly I can say that I had better cheaper basses, late 70's to early 80's ibanez musician's

which were fantastic for much less price.

I think that for less price I could have bought a new usa reissue or for 2000 grand a second hand custom

shop in prestine condition.

Any fender experit opinion please welcome !

Edited by JimboJim

I doubt it's ash, more likely alder.
I don't think you were done, but my personal opinion is that you paid a dealer premium price and that you would have got a better deal on here.

I do think it's issues can be sorted out though and yes you should raise it with the seller and possibly eBay as I don't think he was completely straight up

Edited by Geek99

How much is 1972 fender precision bass is worth at the moment in average condition ?

I will take a bass to a luthier tommorow so he can have a look at it.

The new refret job for maple neck will cost me 170- 200 gbp at least.

So I guess it would be ok to ask the seller for 200- 250 gbp at least for all these issues ? Or more ?

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1474405293' post='3137836']
I doubt it's ash, more likely alder.
I don't think you were done, but my personal opinion is that you paid a dealer premium price and that you would have got a better deal on here.

I do think it's issues can be sorted out though and yes you should raise it with the seller and possibly eBay as I don't think he was completely straight up
[/quote]

Edited by JimboJim

yeah its not a 9 out of 10 is it but if its original and just needs some fretwork could be worse
i had my my yamaha bb1000s frets done recently, they were very worn but there perfect now £50 it cost me but the luthier did say it would need a refret next time but i have never worn any frets badly so should last me many a year.

You were lucky mate !

I had my 1965 fender precision refretted last year for just under 200 gbp. It was a whole neck refret.

On this 72 bass frets are so badly done, it looks like the frets were put in by a semi pro luthier or something.

Edges are sharp and fret levels are different.

I am really shocked that the seller stated that everything is clean and not worn.

[quote name='stu_g' timestamp='1474407078' post='3137864']
yeah its not a 9 out of 10 is it but if its original and just needs some fretwork could be worse
i had my my yamaha bb1000s frets done recently, they were very worn but there perfect now £50 it cost me but the luthier did say it would need a refret next time but i have never worn any frets badly so should last me many a year.
[/quote]

Edited by JimboJim

The grain patter does not show up on the photo's, but you can certainly see ash type of grain on this

bass.

It weights 10 lbs.Quite heavy for an early 70's isn't it ?

My gut feeling is telling me that I have to ask seller for a parcial refund for the refret, about 200-250

gbp. Also those un-original parts as strap locks and volume/tone knobs.... Original can be quite costly...

In any case would be great to hear your opinion's guys, what would you do if you had to deal with this

kind of problem.

Edited by JimboJim

yeah i think he should've told you about the frets, as they look a bit rough and like you say original parts for it would'nt be cheap now, so for what you paid i think maybe he should give you a partial refund or if not a full refund as you dont sound that impressed with it.
buying off the internet is always taking a chance but if i buy from a shop or a company i always feel if it's not as described i can return it.

I am just not happy with all these point's that the seller have failed to mentioned in the add, that's furstraiting. In some cases ebay

is like buying a cat in a bag.

It is a pity as I really wanted to get an early 70's p bass. From what I have recearched the early 70s basses are actually better

and more consistent comparing with fenders starting from 77.

I hoped I get a great example, instead got an average example. But then again maybe it is worth asking for a parcial refund for

the new fret job and strap locks...

Are there any vintage fender experts who can tell me exactly if I got a fair offer judging by the (visual) condition and state of the

bass ?

I seen offers such as 1500- 1700 gbp for late fender - basses.

The big question here is how recent is 'recently'.

If you're inside 14 days you have strong grounds to return under distance selling rules (although these are complicated by eBay).

Arguing that the seller's description of "9 out of 10" is inaccurate will be really tough because it's simply not measurable - you can't find a published account that will have much credence in exactly what 9 means for a 40 year old instrument.

For a great early 70's P I don't think £2k is outrageous (especially from a dealer) but it's a bit over the top for an average P.

The main decider, for me anyway, is how it sounds. A few hundred either way isn't a huge amount for something that sounds amazing :)

I would always recommend people try the guitars they buy. It may sound a but weird, but my wife and I (and now new baby) will turn a trip Into a bit of fun. (She doesn't know how much I spend).

The only instruments I have ever bought and kept are ones that I have tried personally.

An all original early 70s P should be available for around £1500. And I'd avoid eBay unless you talk to the seller on the phone.