Why become a member? ×

Back up amps?

redbandit599

• 2 months later...

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1474445942' post='3138016']
A BDI21 through the PA saved my bacon on one occasion.

You might also want to ask yourself why you need an effects loop. These are intended for line level devices and most stomp boxes are instrument level devices. If you do need a loop it needs to match your main amp for serial or parallel, otherwise it may not do what you expect.

Knowing that you run EBS cabs I would suggest a Reidmar.
[/quote]

Can I check this, please. I have a BDI21 which I've never used. Don't really know why I've got it. Could I use it as an emergency back-up amp in some way, if my main amp goes pop? Our PA uses a powered mixing desk, so would passive bass>BDI21>powered mixing desk>PA speakers get me home safely? Enough amplification for a bass in that chain?

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1482505088' post='3201138']
Can I check this, please. I have a BDI21 which I've never used. Don't really know why I've got it. Could I use it as an emergency back-up amp in some way, if my main amp goes pop? Our PA uses a powered mixing desk, so would passive bass>BDI21>powered mixing desk>PA speakers get me home safely? Enough amplification for a bass in that chain?
[/quote]
Perfect Steve. Just run an XLR cable from the BDI21 to an input on the desk and job done.
I had an Eden WTDI for just that purpose.
The powered mixing desk just means the amp is built into the desk rather than being separate.

No! I don't really want to buy a back up amp and then cart it around without ever using it. I'd always thought of the BDI21 as a tone-shaping thingy. Since the only tone-shaping I do is via the tone pot and/or pickup selector on my basses, I've never needed or used the BDI21. However, if it can serve as an emergency DI box into the powered desk if my GKMB500 goes down, that would be great. I'll try it at next rehearsal.

BTW - the two basses of mine that you very kindly sorted out are both going great guns. Thank you.