Why become a member? ×

Vox Pathfinder 10 Bass

Donnyboy

I have one. Is there anything in particular you want to know about it?

I use mine for practice at home, when I'm not using headphones. It looks pretty adorable with all its piping, tolex, and chickenhead knobs, and it sits nicely out of the way on a table in the front room.

It has a tone I would describe as 'pleasant'. It's not hugely bassy, but it's fine for practising and perfectly capable of disturbing the neighbours downstairs, or indeed three floors below. The speakers are perhaps the weak link, as they will start to distort very early when you turn up the volume or gain(drive), or feed it a signal with a lot of bass boost. Rolling off some bass on the eq allows a little more headroom before the point of speaker distortion. It can actually sound quite good if you set it just at the point where the speakers start to distort.

Turning the Drive up never really did anything nice sounding for me. I leave it low or all the way off most of the time.

It also sounds pretty good as a guitar amp, and I do sometimes wonder if a rebranded guitar amp is effectively what it is, given its open back construction.

Most £50 practice amps are garbage anyway, aren't they? At least this one looks fun.