Why become a member? ×

Fender PJR65 (the Japanese Power Jazz Special equivalent)

GaryTheGreat11

Hi all,

First post so apologies if this has been asked before/ is posted in the wrong place but I think I'm right posting it here.

I've seen a variant of the Fender Power Jazz Special (1989, MIJ) for sale online - from a UK company - that was originally only available on the Japanese market - as a Fender PJR65, judging by catalogues of the era ( http://brochures.yokochou.com/guitar-and-amp/fenderjapan/1989/en_10.html ). Hence, it is slightly different from the "usual" Power Jazz Special - no switch at all. Just four knobs - master volume, balance, active treble and bass. Otherwise, it's fairly similar to the more familiar Power Jazz Special: full scale maple Jazz neck, lightweight (3.1kgs!!!) body. Wear and tear that you might expect from an '89 bass.

The company is suggesting £750 for it, which seems a bit steep compared to the Jazz Specials "meant" for the UK market from the same era. But is this reasonable for this specific Japanese-market but sold in UK bass? I don't know. Hopefully you do!

Cheers for the help.

P.S trying to avoid posting link of actual bass incase if someone poaches it :P

I'd say it's quite steep indeed. As you can see, this particular bass was 65000 yen in 1989. Adjusted for inflation, that's about £560. Very few Japanese instruments, or any instruments, for that matter, actually increase in value as time goes by. Going back far enough, a US Fender certainly does, but this is a Japanese Fender, and not one of the more famous models either (like the Squier JV series), so unless this particular model has some special connection I've missed I would not recommend paying more for it now than you would've payed for it back in the day.
In fact, there's one on eBay right now (from a Japanese seller) that's priced at just under £400. Even with shipping and import charges that might still be cheaper than the local one you've found.

Edited by ZilchWoolham

[quote name='ZilchWoolham' timestamp='1474508974' post='3138503']
I'd say it's quite steep indeed. As you can see, this particular bass was 65000 yen in 1989. Adjusted for inflation, that's about £560. Very few Japanese instruments, or any instruments, for that matter, actually increase in value as time goes by. Going back far enough, a US Fender certainly does, but this is a Japanese Fender, and not one of the more famous models either (like the Squier JV series), so unless this particular model has some special connection I've missed I would not recommend paying more for it now than you would've payed for it back in the day.
In fact, there's one on eBay right now (from a Japanese seller) that's priced at just under £400. Even with shipping and import charges that might still be cheaper than the local one you've found.
[/quote]

Agreed, A 'real' Power Jazz Bass Special can be picked up for less (I know) and would expect to pay £500 for a really good example. i.e. the odd ding but great fretwork.

Edited by dood

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1474634565' post='3139454']
I I love Jazz Bass Specials. I have an almost mint black one and they are great basses, I keep thinking I need to get a pearl one too
[/quote]

Seen this? http://basschat.co.uk/topic/291744-fender-mij-p-j-bass-jv-serial-number/

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1474635096' post='3139460']
Seen this? [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/291744-fender-mij-p-j-bass-jv-serial-number/"]http://basschat.co.u...-serial-number/[/url]
[/quote]

Yep, very nice. There's also a pearl JBS on eBay for £900!! It's the correct duff spec but has the f caps on the knobs missing.

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1475062948' post='3142703']
Yep, very nice. There's also a pearl JBS on eBay for £900!! It's the correct duff spec but has the f caps on the knobs missing.
[/quote]

Seen that, there`s also a black one on there for £600 Buy It Now.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1475097645' post='3143115']
Seen that, there`s also a black one on there for £600 Buy It Now.
[/quote]

I got mine 2 years ago for £250, I'd buy another couple at that price but £500+ is too much for a bass I wouldn't play on stage (I play in an indie band and any Gn'f'inR references would be frowned upon)