Why become a member? ×

IBANEZ PREMIUM SR SERIES BASS?

Greg.Bassman

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1474796144' post='3140495']
The srff806 is actually a 6 string, I have the 5 string as well, the 805, it is a lovely bass, but it is not quite a premier. The neck is different (apart from the frets obviously) and the pickups are not as good.
Still wouldn't want to part with it
[/quote]

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1474811379' post='3140672']
The last number is often a clue as to the number of strings. I really like the bass - just trying to decide whether an electronics upgrade is worthwhile. The pickups and preamp are pretty decent (and no less an authority than Dave Swift really likes it), but I can't help but wonder what Nordstrands would sound like...
[/quote]

Lol, sorry both, I must've accidently hit the '5' key on my keyboard; I meant to press '6'. That'll teach me for typing without the lamp on lol.

But yes, a lovely looking bass! I have never played one, but I did get a taste from this review... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFIznc30npU

The fanning on the 805 / 806 is quite mild and really not noticeable, once you have got over looking at it. they are a lot less of a difference from a straight neck than the Dingwalls have and even those are not so noticeable after a while (although the 5th string on a dingwall is really long, and that is quite noticeable if you have smaller hands like me!).

I think unlike the dingwall, this is a bit more of a token gesture, and it is sort of what ibanez do, small runs of a certain thing to see if people like it.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1474813052' post='3140690']
The fanning on the 805 / 806 is quite mild and really not noticeable, once you have got over looking at it. they are a lot less of a difference from a straight neck than the Dingwalls have and even those are not so noticeable after a while (although the 5th string on a dingwall is really long, and that is quite noticeable if you have smaller hands like me!).
[/quote]

The Super P and J - which I have - are the more comfortable (for me) "medium scale", 32-35" fan on the 5-strings vs the others which are 34-37" on the 5-strings. As a comparison, my Ibanez SRFF806 is 33.6-35.5" for a six string, so less fanned indeed.

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1474813772' post='3140698']
The Super P and J - which I have - are the more comfortable (for me) "medium scale", 32-35" fan on the 5-strings vs the others which are 34-37" on the 5-strings. As a comparison, my Ibanez SRFF806 is 33.6-35.5" for a six string, so less fanned indeed.
[/quote]

Might be worth checking one out at some point, that would be more useable size, although the fanning on the combustion never really caused me any issues, in fact I would say it was its best bit and certainly not why it had to move on.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1474822951' post='3140806']
Might be worth checking one out at some point, that would be more useable size, although the fanning on the combustion never really caused me any issues, in fact I would say it was its best bit and certainly not why it had to move on.
[/quote]

I traded my Combustion for the Super J. It was a great bass, these two just fit me and my smaller hands better.

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1474823189' post='3140808']
I traded my Combustion for the Super J. It was a great bass, these two just fit me and my smaller hands better.
[/quote]

Traded mine for the sr1605, technically not worth as much but it was practically new and it was one of the best trades I made.

the SRF1805 nordstrand pickups are ace, great warmth, slight growl and can bite nicely when digging in, certainly a good upgrade from my SR500's bartolinis. Tonally i would say teh 1800's are warm sounding but it is unlikely the 1300's are really noticably brighter. i liked the darker colour of the rosewood/walnut/mahogany.
Gigged mine again at the weekend and its a dream to play, cuts through really well with a solid foundation. B)

[quote name='lowhand_mike' timestamp='1474878555' post='3141123']
the SRF1805 nordstrand pickups are ace, great warmth, slight growl and can bite nicely when digging in, certainly a good upgrade from my SR500's bartolinis. Tonally i would say teh 1800's are warm sounding but it is unlikely the 1300's are really noticably brighter. i liked the darker colour of the rosewood/walnut/mahogany.
Gigged mine again at the weekend and its a dream to play, cuts through really well with a solid foundation. B)
[/quote]

Hi Mike. Very reassuring mate, cheers! I agree, the darker colour is what does it for me also. Still, the 1300 is equally stunning. Hard to choose! lol ;)

Lol. I've had basses before that were ash bodies (and found them too bright), and although the 1300 is only an ash top, I couldn't help but feel a little apprehensive. But after your helpful words, I've warmed back to the 1300 again as much as the 1800. What to do! lol :)

Edited by Greg.Bassman

I've been gigging my SR1205 for over 4 years now...unprecedented for me as I traditionally changed basses regularly. It sounds great, feels great, looks great is lightweight, portable in it's niche case and super comfortable.

Every time I consider a change I simply gig it and subsequently forget such foolish notions...

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1475084429' post='3142956']
Ooh, a new SR5. Think the SR5BBLTD still wins it for me:

[url="http://www.guitarwink.com/en/ibanez-premium-sr5bbltd-natural-flat/"]http://www.guitarwin...d-natural-flat/[/url]

One of those that I have never happened across when I had money!
[/quote]

ooh not seen that one before, very nice
but 2.5k for a premium?

[quote name='lowhand_mike' timestamp='1475053931' post='3142575']
the construction of the two is pretty much the same, mahogany and walnut body with different tops, so its just what floats your boat
or theres this (5string only though)
[url="http://www.ibanez.com/products/u_eb_detail.php?year=2016&cat_id=2&series_id=51&data_id=442&color=CL01"]http://www.ibanez.co...=442&color=CL01[/url]
looks lovely
[/quote]

Do the tops make a difference to the tone atall? Would the ash top make the 1300 sound brighter and the 1800 (rosewood top) warmer (rosewood being typically warmer)? I know we've touched up on this before, but I just needed to be sure; I have never experimented with rosewood as a body wood before... unsure (but exciting) times! lol ;)

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1475007724' post='3142311'] I've been gigging my SR1205 for over 4 years now...unprecedented for me as I traditionally changed basses regularly. It sounds great, feels great, looks great is lightweight, portable in it's niche case and super comfortable. Every time I consider a change I simply gig it and subsequently forget such foolish notions... [/quote]

Great, cheers white cloud, very reassuring. It appears that the SR's are a bit of a favourite... good to know lol :)

[quote name='Greg.Bassman' timestamp='1475244667' post='3144372']
Do the tops make a difference to the tone atall? Would the ash top make the 1300 sound brighter and the 1800 (rosewood top) warmer (rosewood being typically warmer)? I know we've touched up on this before, but I just needed to be sure; I have never experimented with rosewood as a body wood before... unsure (but exciting) times! lol ;)
[/quote]

Yes...but it would be so subtle you probably wouldnt notice as its only the top wood thats different and in a gigging situation you definately wouldnt notice. But then saying that the sound from mine is quite warm but that could be the mahogany main body, i know my SR500 has quite a warm sound and thats just a mahogany body. The 1800 sounds different but then it has different pickups and electrics. YMMV ;)

[quote name='lowhand_mike' timestamp='1475245225' post='3144388'] Yes...but it would be so subtle you probably wouldnt notice as its only the top wood thats different and in a gigging situation you definately wouldnt notice. But then saying that the sound from mine is quite warm but that could be the mahogany main body, i know my SR500 has quite a warm sound and thats just a mahogany body. The 1800 sounds different but then it has different pickups and electrics. YMMV ;) [/quote]

Cool. Cheers mike! The SR500 is a great bit of kit (for the price point)! Playing my mates 500 is kinda what turned me onto the SR series in the first place :)

I once bought an amp from a guy, who let me use his SR1205 to try the amp out. It was a fantastic thing to play, the neck was slim and fast, lovely range of tones, and the B string sounded really tight and focused. I spent more time talking to him about the bass than I did about the amp I was buying!

• 1 month later...

I sold my BTB1606 for 2 reasons.

1) I need the money
2) I didn't need the bass (i'm not even in a band I don't 'need' any let alone 6)
3) As lovely as it was, the sound was a bit too sterile.
4) Sharp edged body, a bit more contouring would have been a bonus.