Why become a member? ×

IBANEZ PREMIUM SR SERIES BASS?

Greg.Bassman

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Hi all. Hope you're well. [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Looking into the SR1300 Premium 2016 model (NTF) as my next bass, and just wanted to hear some of your 'post-purchase' experiences regarding the Premium series in general (ie playability, durability etc)?[/font][/size]

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]All feedback appreciated.[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Cheers Greg.[/font][/size]

Edited by Greg.Bassman

Lots of positive experiences. The Japanese built ones are superb.
SR1300-A very powerful bass, nice and light with a very thin and fast neck (1990's)
SR3005-a beautiful bit of kit with a wide range of sounds to match. The only reason I still don't have it is because I prefer the simplicity of a Stingray and wasn't sold on the colour. It remains one of the nicest basses that I have played.

I also tried many in shops over the years 605, 700, 1205's. I have yet to be disappointed

I've tried a few of these out in shops and on the whole, the quality of materials and craftsmanship does live up to the suggestion of a "Premium" bass. However, I have noticed some disparity between different basses - perhaps not the consistency of the old Japanese models - so if at all possible, try the exact instrument you're interested in before committing to buy.

i have the SR1805, so a very similar bass, i believe they are made in indonesia not japan that is where the prestige are made. the fit and finish is superb. the neck is a joy to play and really confortable, no sharp fret ends. The neck is slightly different to the standard SR necks but still slim and fast (the specs say they are the same though). The nordstrand big singles have a great sound and plenty of variation available. its light so long playing sessions are easy. Ive said it before, and i'll say it again, if theses were USA or german made youd easily expect to pay way more as the quality is that good.
love playing mine even after a having it for just over a year it still gives me the horn :gas:

Edited by lowhand_mike

I started with an SR500 which was very nice to play, then moved up to a SR1200 Premium which was absolutely brilliant, then I had a SR5000 Prestige which was also great, the reason I no longer have one is because a precision is more suitable for the band and music I'm involved in at the moment.

IMO, despite the SR5000 being the top-of-the-range model, I think the SR1200 was the best of the bunch and I wouldn't hesitate to get another one.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1474571876' post='3138955']
Here is a review on Rob Chapmans channel by Dave from Dorje.

[url="https://youtu.be/QBxfvJ-FrhE"]https://youtu.be/QBxfvJ-FrhE[/url]
[/quote]

Lol, thanks jezza. Already seen this vid. Wanted to hear what our fellow basschatters had to say though ;)

Edited by Greg.Bassman

[quote name='Greg.Bassman' timestamp='1474643765' post='3139559']
Lol, thanks jezza. Already seen this vid. Wanted to hear what our fellow basschatters had to say though ;)
[/quote]

It is a lovely looking bass.

So nice in fact that I bought a SR 750, a few steps down from the one you are looking at. Cracking bass with licensed Norstrand P and J pickups with a Ibby 3 band eq with a passive option.

I had it about a week and was looking at it one night, when I noticed that a 5 string pickup had been fitted in the bridge! But hats off to Guitarguitar. I dropped it off on Tuesday and the replacement is sitting in the Glasgow shop, ready for collection tomorrow.

Happy days B)

[quote name='Greg.Bassman' timestamp='1474645374' post='3139575']
Hi everyone. This is great. Thank you all for your feedback!

How similar is the nut profile to a Fender jazz? Their website says it's 38mm at the nut (a standard jazz being 38.1 I believe)- how true to form is this, does it play fast?
[/quote]

I think fast would be a good way of describing their necks yes

[quote name='Greg.Bassman' timestamp='1474645374' post='3139575']
Hi everyone. This is great. Thank you all for your feedback!

How similar is the nut profile to a Fender jazz? Their website says it's 38mm at the nut (a standard jazz being 38.1 I believe)- how true to form is this, does it play fast?
[/quote]The nut is 38mm but because the neck is so skinny, it actually feels a lot more than 0.1mm thinner than a standard jazz neck.
Yes it plays fast, but then again, it's all down to just how fast your pinkies will allow you to go. :lol:

Awesome guys!

Can anyone comment on the wood choices. I also had my eye on the SR1800 y'see, and I just wondered how the two compare tonally?

SR1300 body: Ash & Walnut top/Mahogany back body
SR1800 body: Rosewood & Flamed Maple top/Walnut & Mahogany back body.

I'm not a wood aficionado, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I noticed that the SR1800 features BOTH Rosewood and Mahogany (typically warm sounding woods). Does this means that SR1800 would be 'warmer' sounding overall compared to the SR1300, which features an Ash top (Ash being typically brighter)? Or am I totally mistaken? lol.

[quote name='Greg.Bassman' timestamp='1474728232' post='3140107']
Awesome guys!

Can anyone comment on the wood choices. I also had my eye on the SR1800 y'see, and I just wondered how the two compare tonally?

SR1300 body: Ash & Walnut top/Mahogany back body
SR1800 body: Rosewood & Flamed Maple top/Walnut & Mahogany back body.

I'm not a wood aficionado, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I noticed that the SR1800 features BOTH Rosewood and Mahogany (typically warm sounding woods). Does this means that SR1800 would be 'warmer' sounding overall compared to the SR1300, which features an Ash top (Ash being typically brighter)? Or am I totally mistaken? lol.
[/quote]

Technically you're correct on the tonal differences but the difference would be so minor as to be inconsequential.

I would just choose whichever you prefer aesthetically, to be honest.

[quote name='Rikki1984' timestamp='1474741379' post='3140201']
Technically you're correct on the tonal differences but the difference would be so minor as to be inconsequential.

I would just choose whichever you prefer aesthetically, to be honest.
[/quote]

I had a feeling that this would be the case. Cheers Rikki, that's great mate!

I have a premier 1605, which is my main bass. Others have come and gone, but there is nothing that touches it for playing live, the tone is great and the neck is as close to perfect as I have used. I have a prestige 1000, a much older one, and it is excellent, possibly even more attention to detail and a bass that always made me wonder why people were allways going on about adjusting truss rods when changing strings, until I got a fender!
It would be my main one, but it is a 4 string, and I don't really have a need for a 4 string any more, but I wouldn't get rid of it.

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1474750594' post='3140304']
I have an Ibanez SRFF806 and it doesn't compare too badly with my two Dingwalls especially when you consider what it costs. I'd love to try the Prestige version, I've only seen the five string version of that.
[/quote]

Hi mate. I have seen reviews for the FF806; incredible bit of kit for the price point! I would've looked into one m'self, but I have no need for a 5-string. Happy playing! ;)

[quote name='Greg.Bassman' timestamp='1474760524' post='3140368']
Hi mate. I have seen reviews for the FF806; incredible bit of kit for the price point! I would've looked into one m'self, but I have no need for a 5-string. Happy playing! ;)
[/quote]

The srff806 is actually a 6 string, I have the 5 string as well, the 805, it is a lovely bass, but it is not quite a premier. The neck is different (apart from the frets obviously) and the pickups are not as good.
Still wouldn't want to part with it

The last number is often a clue as to the number of strings. I really like the bass - just trying to decide whether an electronics upgrade is worthwhile. The pickups and preamp are pretty decent (and no less an authority than Dave Swift really likes it), but I can't help but wonder what Nordstrands would sound like...