Why become a member? ×

Irig alternative?

Stefanogregori

I kinda agree. It works but there's definitely better. A current favourite here on BC is the rather cool Line 6 Sonic Port that connects to the lightning / 30 pin socket for IOS users. Apogee Jam is very cool and apparently iRig's own HD interface works well though I've never tried it.

For apps, I'm all over Positive Grid. They can't do a thing wrong from desktop apps to mobile devices. Jam Up Pro is great as is BIAS which allows you to create your own custom amplifiers should you fancy it. I do and tend to do so when I'm recording on my Mac.

The original iRig is pretty much just a fancy splitter, the iRig HD though has proper digital converters inside. The Sonic Port is great, only downsides are no input gain and no way to charge the device during use - both of which are possible with the new iRig HD2 by the way, which is where I would be looking.

Not a big fan of Positive Grid stuff though, too many annoying bugs such as pedals that just plain don't work (the Mutron!), knobs/switches that do nothing or work the wrong way round, etc. The amp models in Tonestack and Garageband sound better to me by far.

• 2 weeks later...