Why become a member? ×

NOW SOLD 1977 Musicman Stingray Mocha/Walnut 'Players' condition
£1700

Thebassman75

NOW SOLD

Hi

Price drop - £1250

For sale only is my spare Musicman Stingray from 1977. Pictures are below on the link and I'm going to give the most accurate description I can. This is not a collectors instrument. It's been played and modified over the years but when considered from all angles, it still retains all that's great about these basses. I've debated on what price to put on it so please don't shoot me down. If I consider some pre-EB Stingrays on here compared to say, Andy Baxters prices then it would seem they can differ up to almost £1500 (and I know he's a dealer and has his mark-up so I'm not criticising anyone here). I've put it up for what I consider a reasonable price, having listened to some experts in the field and will listen to any fair comments on the price.. :-)

So, link to the pics. [url="https://www.flickr.com/gp/147498053@N02/u826C0"]https://www.flickr.c...8053@N02/u826C0[/url][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]

(First time using Flickr so I hope it works)

History.

The bass was purchased by the original owner in 1977 who immediately put another Humbucker in the neck position. In order to do this, a jack socket was drilled in the side and the original jack socket was used as a pot. The bass was played like that until about 2 years ago when the second owner decided to have it all restored to original. The original black epoxy pre-amp survives, as does 1 x original pot dated 1976. The other 2 are replacements. I've had all the electronics overhauled by Bernie Goodfellow, including a new battery connector as the original one had disintegrated.

So, after everything was put back, the pickguard had to be replaced (the original having a huge hole in it) so that's an EBMM guard on there.

The neck has been re-fretted. A good job with some nice big frets which I find gives it extra 'snap' when getting funky. The truss rod works fine, as does the micro-tilt.

2 of the tuning pegs are slightly bent through usage but still functional and can probably be pulled back quite easily.

The bridge mute are missing.

All in all, it's still in excellent condition cosmetically and of course, still sounds amazing. You wouldn't know about the changes except for the hole in the side which could easily be covered with a plate. It weighs 10.2lbs which might sound like a bit on the heavy side but I have another '77 that's 9.2lbs and there's really very little difference when it's round my neck with a decent strap. If anything, this one is slightly fatter in the low-end but the other one just has that thing that I'm looking for..

It can be packed in a very old wooden case which will protect it in shipping but it's very tatty on the outside. Alternatively, it can be packed well in a proper cardboard box to cut down shipping weight, or collected with cash.

My complete view on this is that here is a bass that was loved and gigged way before investments or the vintage market were considered, but it's still a great bass that will stand up next to a new one of the same value. The advantage being of course that even with the changes, it'll probably still go up in value and has 'that' sound that only Pre-EB Stingrays has.

Feel free to ask questions

Edited by Thebassman75