Why become a member? ×

Is a cab even neccessary these days?

williamayerst

I've been thinking of getting back into things, after a few years of going down the solo guitarist route. I never made it to playing with other humans as a bassist, but practising at home was almost always with headphones, and when I played guitar with a group it was always in a rehearsal studio.

Ontop of this, every venue I saw my buddies play at had their cabs Mic'ed up anyway. I'm really wondering if I need to get one of those 200w-ish Amps at all - or whether it's going to be a complete waste.

It appears that the only question is whether a band practise space has an amplifier, or not.

I'd love to get some opinions on this!

Thanks,

Thanks for the link - I'm not speaking specifically about gigging though - I've not got that far. At home I'm happy to go into a DI into my audio interface, and at a gig I'm happy to go into the PA - but I'm unclear about the realities of that middle ground where I'm finding a band, practising, etc. and whether an amp/cab is mandatory there.

Why don't you save the money and research a few suitable rigs. Hold on the purchase until you find yourself in a band. Then you'll see if the practise space has an amp and listen to the opinion of others regarding PA and having a bass rig on stage for gigs.

My guess is that you'll end up buying the rig, other musicians will want to hear some bass on stage especially the drummer but that can be obtained with monitors.

[quote name='williamayerst' timestamp='1474546551' post='3138707']
That's good advice, thank you - just a small question though: how can I find myself in a band if I don't even have an amp to audition with? You do make a good point though :)
[/quote]

When contacted by the band for audition you ask them about the conditions of the rehearsall space and if it has a bass amp and cab. If there's none then you know that you'll have to buy/borrow one for the audition.

For a [i]professional [/i]gigging and recording bass player I think it is. Unless you want to go down the profiling amp route...

I think it's very doable to gig and even record with a good quality DI and/or preamp and no amp but then it starts to boil down to personal preference. I like feeling the weight of my notes behind me and don't have to worry about my monitor mixes as much as I would if I was just using a DI.

A combo with headphone out is the way to go, meaning home practice is nailed if it also has mp3 input. Most rehearsal studio backline is poor, but If you use your own you will know how to get a good sound quickly. Also, for gigs, without a backline amp you would be at the mercy of the PA quality and the skill of the sound guy. The quality of a lot of monitors means they dont produce decent bass frequencies so even if it is good out front you wont be able to enjoy the sound of your bass on stage.

There's two reasons for getting an amp.

You are in control, whenever you need to be. There's no reason why PA and good quality monitors shouldn't work but it's a rare band that has this sort of thing sorted and the technical support to make it work every time. I've played gigs where the sound engineer has cut the bass out of the monitors halfway through a gig or done something else stupid, its not pleasant.

Most bands are looking for someone with decent gear, if nothing else it shows a level of commitment and organisation. I'd be far more likely to take on a singer with a decent mic and their own monitors for example even if we ended up using my gear. It just shows they are in it for the long term and don't expect to be carried. Most bands won't be set up to even audition you which means it'll take longer, maybe much longer to find a band. Ironically if you get into the right band they may well see the advantages of ditching the back line but you'll all need the gear to reach that point.

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1474557300' post='3138805']
i want my trouser flapping bass goodness. i use a cab.
[/quote]
Even with a 810 running at full tilt, your trousers won't flap. I think people mistake ragged ears for moving rags. You need to move some serious air to get any movement - and we are talking a lot more that even the biggest bass rigs.

Phil is right. With your own gear you are in control and you have consistency every time you play. You don't have to fight your sound which lets you focus on playing better lines. If you sound good you'll work more than if you don't.

I've played on many gigs with FOH but many more that don't put bass through the PA. Even with a good PA you don't always get good monitoring, so if you're doing this properly you need to cover every situation you're likely to encounter.

My intention before I bought my first bass was to gig. Everything I have done is to that end so an amp and a good sound is critical for me. If you're only going to live in the studio you need a different focus. You have to play the bass with the best sound, but IME even the best studio guys gig somewhere.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1474709380' post='3139953']
Even with a 810 running at full tilt, your trousers won't flap. I think people mistake ragged ears for moving rags. You need to move some serious air to get any movement - and we are talking a lot more that even the biggest bass rigs.
[/quote]
This is true. I run an SVT-CL with the 410HLF and I still Di to the PA and now also with an 18" Mackie Thumper. Only this way can I get that in -the-chest pressure I've been after for years.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1474718546' post='3140047']
IME on all gigs, even the smallest, a little PA support for the Bass drum tightens up the sound of the whole band.
[/quote]
That's my thinking too, unless you have a huge kick drum that is well damped they sound poop, of course there are gigs small enough to not need it but then they are vocal pa and a combo sized amp as backline anyway ime.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1474706721' post='3139936']

What about the kick drum?
[/quote]Din!t get me start ed on Kick Drums. A good kick drum will send you into next Tuesday without PA support. So why do so many Sound Tecs mic them up loud enough to send you into the following week.

A good sound tech will work with the Backline, gently suggesting changes if she/he cannot get the mix right FOH.

Taking the amp/cab off an electric guitar/bass is like knocking the body off an acoustic. Makes the Sound Techs job easy but if it were easy, everyone could do it (my dead granny could actually do better than some Sound Tecs I have worked with).

You have to treat the Sound Tec as part of the band and he/she has an input and it is usually valid BUT..., their ears ( like mine) are often shot from years of amplified Kick Drum abuse.

Edited by Chienmortbb

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1474709380' post='3139953']
[/quote]

My old Peavey cab with a single 18 and two 10s certainly used to flap my trousers. I could feel them slapping on the backs of my calves and knees. Great feeling!