Why become a member? ×

Would A Refinish Devalue A Vintage Bass?

thebrig

I have an all original 1971 Precision bass with the "A" neck (Jazz width) which has paint chipping off badly, it also has lots of buckle rash and chips, so it would need a lot of prep work beforehand, so if i went ahead with a refinish, would it affect the value of the bass?

[quote name='tredders' timestamp='1474570665' post='3138939']
What Owen said. Personally, I like a genuine worn bass, so buckle rash, worn off paint and battle scars wouldn't bother me at all.
[/quote]

+1

I don't know if refinish devalue a vintage bass or guitar but I personally prefer original paint.

When it gets so "original vintage" it is unplayable, it gets rediculous. There are so many conaisseurs and collectors (by word, anyhow - usually they don't have the money to collect) out there who has the opinion that original is better. Well, it is. For a collector. But for a gigging musician the bass is a tool. It must be useable. Small chips of lacquer missing here and there is no problem, but when people rave and summon the gods to call down heavenly fire about broken pots being changed or a replaced saddle screw, well, then it gets really silly. Back in the days when DiMarzio, Mighty Mite and the very high end (then) Schecter started to sell retrofit parts, many old original lousy, sh*tty Fender basses were upgraded to serious playing machines. To be played. Think about Chuck Rainey's '57 (I think) P-bass he installed the 2-Tek bridge on to make it a better bass. Well, he did. So he can use it. And since it is his bass it surely won't have lesser value on the market. Due to provenience. Meaning: original or not makes no difference for the played instrument, just for the instrument that is hanging on a wall and worshipped...

As for the Victorian table - when it no longer can be used as a table, then it is no table... :P :P :P

OK, now you can hang me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote name='bassmayhem' timestamp='1474620604' post='3139235']
When it gets so "original vintage" it is unplayable, it gets rediculous.
[/quote]

No, that's when it becomes a collectors item.

It really depends how much this bass is worth on the open market and how much the owner wants to maintain the value of the bass. An old Fender does have value over and above its worth as a bit of wood and its ability to produce a good sound.

One of my earliest recollections of a P bass was on the wall of Pan Music in Wardour Street in the 60's and someone had carved the body into a sitar shape, and that was in the days when a P bass was the same price as a Ritter is today, and on Talkbass they are currently bemoaning the fate of a 52 P bass that's been broken up for spares.

Owners can and will do what they want but there are [i]good[/i] things to do to a bass and things that you [i]have[/i] to do to maintain its playability, I don't think that I'd put a respray on either of those lists.

Whatever the amount, a little or a lot, a respray [i]will[/i] affect the resale of this bass by reducing it's value. That reduction will increase over time as this bass becomes older and more sought after. So there's the answer to the original question.

Of course, if you're going to keep it forever, it doesn't matter a damn what you do to it...but if you're after selling, it's worth more as it is even if the paint flakes every time you pick it up. As someone who made my own A neck Precision, I'd be keeping that come what may!

Do the cosmetics affect the way it plays? Looks like a good, well used P bass, with a bit of real history

I'd agree with everyone else, and say that you would pay an absolute fortune for a Fender Custom Shop relic. If the wear is not affecting the way it plays, then leave well alone. If you're not happy playing a bass with wear on, sell it as is, and find a new one that is as close to it as you can, sound and feel-wise.

Yep - i'd agree with (almost) everyone on here. The more original the better.

My 70 P has had a refret and new nut because it had become unplayable, so to continue using it I had to take that decision. But the finish isn't affecting the playability, so i'd leave it alone, or as others have said, sell it for something newer looking if that's what you'd prefer.

Lovely looking bass by the way - mine's got a slim B neck, so I bet an A neck is interesting!

Edited by bassbiscuits

Just to clarify, I love the bass and I actually brought it because of the mojo, and I certainly have no intention of selling the bass just now, I was really just curious to know whether a refinish would affect the value at all.

This bass is a fantastic player and the tone is to die for, it really does sound like a vintage bass, I don't know much about it's history but it's obviously been around the block a bit, and the case is even more battered, but it does turn a few heads when I walk into a venue with it. <_<

Edit: I will be leaving it as it is. :)

Edited by thebrig

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1474641795' post='3139533']
Just to clarify, I love the bass and I actually brought it because of the mojo, and I certainly have no intention of selling the bass just now, I was really just curious to know whether a refinish would affect the value at all.

This bass is a fantastic player and the tone is to die for, it really does sound like a vintage bass, I don't know much about it's history but it's obviously been around the block a bit, and the case is even more battered, but it does turn a few heads when I walk into a venue with it. <_<

Edit: I will be leaving it as it is. :)
[/quote]
I've a '71 P-bass with an A neck and it's a fabulous instrument.

In terms of resale, an A neck 70s P-bass will generally fetch a bit more as they were (I believe) a special order instrument at the time.

A vintage dealer once told me that, in (very) basic terms, a refin would broadly halve the value of a vintage instrument vs. an original finish instrument. I've also read the same in various publications.

FWIW, I reckon your bass looks great in its current state!

Enjoy how it looks, plays and sounds, and leave well alone, would be my tuppence worth...

Edited by Old Man Riva

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1474624382' post='3139294']
Here is the bass in question, it has a jazz neck which I believe just a few of them had around this period, it is quite chunky but feels great, especially for me as I prefer the jazz width, but love the P tone. :)
[/quote]
I'd keep it like that, I'm getting excited just looking at it

My 68 P has the A neck. I bought that off the shelf in Brussels.

Not the best bass I've ever played, but what did I know back then. I was happy as....

When I took the covers off I discovered that the bridge was quite a bit off centre. It took another 3 years to wear out the frets and have the nut break! And the pickup always sounded weak. I fixed all that and added a J, which was a wast of time, money and value.

This is why I'm usually against trying to make a good bass out of a bad one. Just cut your losses and buy the bass you want.

A refinish is going to cost you £300 (plus the loss in value), so I would just buy a 2nd hand backup for it, where you won't lose any money if you sell it on. The '71 can then sit and carry on accruing value.

When you tie money to instruments you love it kinda kills the mood...Like when you see a good looking girl on the high street, maybe get an erection and suddenly have to start thinking about carpentry or politics to get rid of it.

Edited by Schnozzalee

Folks, thanks for all the sound advice, and just to reiterate, I definitely won't be getting it refinished, and as for buying another bass? I already have seven others (all precisions), and they are all really nice instruments, so I have plenty of choice.

My goto bass is my new [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Maruszczyk Jake which I had made to my own specs, it's medium scale, jazz nut width, and very lightweight, which I need due to severe back and neck problems.[/font][/color]

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1474714870' post='3140016']
Folks, thanks for all the sound advice, and just to reiterate, I definitely won't be getting it refinished, and as for buying another bass? I already have seven others (all precisions), and they are all really nice instruments, so I have plenty of choice.

My goto bass is my new [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Maruszczyk Jake which I had made to my own specs, it's medium scale, jazz nut width, and very lightweight, which I need due to severe back and neck problems.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Good lad for keeping it as it is. It looks like a great bass.

I've turned to using a Lull PJ4 as some shoulder problems mean playing anything heavier a PITA at present.

But my 70 P is staying exactly where it is, cos when I need it, I'm very glad I've got such a cool old instrument.
Enjoy it bud, and good luck with the back problems too.

Edited by bassbiscuits