Why become a member? ×

Musicman Big Al

ChunkyMunky

I had a Big Al a few years ago. Great looking bass and massively versatile, but it was wasted on me - I just set it to sound like a Precision and I already had several of those!

I wasn't keen on the neck - a little chunky for me, but plenty of people rave about the necks on these.

Looks ace in that colour though!

[quote name='tredders' timestamp='1474573081' post='3138973']
I had a Big Al a few years ago. Great looking bass and massively versatile, but it was wasted on me - I just set it to sound like a Precision and I already had several of those!

I wasn't keen on the neck - a little chunky for me, but plenty of people rave about the necks on these.

Looks ace in that colour though!
[/quote]

The neck on a Big Al is similar to that from a US Sterling - I.e Fender Jazz size - I'm surprised you found it chunky compared to your Precisions 🤔

I agree it looks ace in sky blue though - suits it well.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1474626197' post='3139321']
And I REALLY don't like the scratchplate shape.
[/quote]

The whole thing just looks like little Timmy designed it on his Etch-A-Sketch. That's why it didn't sell. Tonally speaking, it's a behemoth, but they must surely have known not many people would dig the looks.

These are killer basses hang real nice on the strap and have more tones than anyone needs. I too had one for a while but moved it on as I was basically using it as a passive P bass - which sounded killer. I think Tredders got mine :)

I'd take another in a heartbeat especially a SSS 5'er.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='mikeswals' timestamp='1477849359' post='3164823']
The shape isnt very different from a Fender Jaguar. It didnt sell well because EBMM never advertised it.
I had a 5SSS last year and it was a fabulous bass, the neck was great, and the tone very much like the Bongo was awesome. I need to find one again.
[/quote]

I find you can go from very Fender like tones to Musicman tones and inbetween...I love it.

It's been with me for about 5 years now and it's still cool to look at...a shame they didn't keep them going as it must have cost a bit in R&D to get it out.

I agree though, advertising was low...barely anything. Now they seem to have changed their approach and got with the modern day with Facebook/Insta etc and getting lots of smaller artists.

Their guitar sales are apparently doing VERY well.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1477906667' post='3165093']Their guitar sales are apparently doing VERY well.[/quote]

I don't play guitar, but I'm really glad their guitar models finally took off and going strong. I grew up very near the factory, and back in the late 80's and 90's you never saw anyone in the wild playing a Musicman guitar, only saw a couple of pictures in magazines.

[url="http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Music-Man-USA-Big-Al-5-SSS-VSB-Vintage-Sunburst-RW-NEW-bass-stingray-sterling-/172362752616?hash=item28219ee268:g:GP4AAOSwmLlX8oWE"]http://www.ebay.com....P4AAOSwmLlX8oWE[/url]

It's in Germany and a bit pricey IMO.

Edited by felixxx