Why become a member? ×

Kalium Strings

geofio

Was sent a set of Kalium strings to try and i must say i was very impressed with them, they sound great nice piano type tone on my Ric 4003. they also use less tension so feel great to play, the set i used were 102, 76, 57, 41 gauge, i can recommend these to any Ric owners out there looking to try something new. great piano tone.

Very innovative string company. Bass length strings from .008 to .266 and string lengths for up to 40" scales.
There are thousands of possible sets including equal-tension sets and drop-tune sets with equal tensions in a drop tuning.
Sets for up to 11 string bass and 11 string guitar and guitar strings up to .182.
The 2 guys are both innovative bass luthiers and Skip is moving into ultra-low frequency amplification too.
Skip makes the 40" scale Quake bass that has been tuned G# C# F# B, fourths from 13Hz G#00 with the highest string being a low-B. There may be something even bigger and lower coming.
[url="http://kaliumstrings.com/"]http://kaliumstrings.com/[/url]

Edited by ixlramp

Indeed, however no set creates a balanced tone because the strings are different gauges. What is meant is 'an optimum change in tone across a set' and that is subjective. For me it's best with tension falling from low to high, for many it's the opposite.

[quote name='ixlramp' timestamp='1474898419' post='3141339']
Indeed, however no set creates a balanced tone because the strings are different gauges. What is meant is 'an optimum change in tone across a set' and that is subjective. For me it's best with tension falling from low to high, for many it's the opposite.
[/quote]

That's how I like it too. I use piccolo strings on my fretless 6 for solo stuff. I want the high C to feel looser.

Well 10 Days on and have to say i am still really impressed with these strings normally most other strings die down after a few days use, these still have their tone exactly as i put them on 10 days ago, i usually use Dean Markley Blue Steels and have been very happy with them, i can honestly say i am changing to these strings the slight difference in gauge and tension makes a huge difference on the Bass !!! Don't know who will stock them in the UK so far, will need to find out !! would love to hear any other opinions guys. cheers. G

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Lightlyseared' timestamp='1476226343' post='3152577']
Just looked - it may just be the site but I can only see Dingwall sets - presumably multi scale?
[/quote]

I think there's a header missing. The first 6 are Dingwall, then there's a space, and more are listed. I think they're for other basses. Drop them an email, see what they say.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ixlramp

The identical gauges suggest the lower sets are also for Dingwall. If you compare the gauges to the Kalium site you may find these are the 'traditional tension' sets that are gauged to be equal tensions on a Dingwall fan, so these will not be balanced on a non-fanned fret instrument.