Why become a member? ×

8" driver but 4 ohm ?

fleabag

I've got the bug to fiddle with something ( matron ) and the bug is stuffing 4 x 8" drivers into an empty combo. The amp is 600 watts, but has no speaker extension, and its power is into 4 ohms, thats it. No problem, as i dont want an extra speaker anyways, as i like the idea of just the combo on its own without extra baggage

As far as my limited tech ability goes, i thinks its impossible to wire four 8 ohm speakers to achieve 4 ohms

I did like the look of the Fane Sovereign 8-225 at Blue Aran, and only £42 each, but alas, they only come in 8 ohm

http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=FANSOV8225

Is there anything else 8" out there in 4 ohm spec at similar prices ? I had a some trouble finding anything at a reasonable price & spec to the Fanes

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1474628653' post='3139358']
you could also wire 4 16ohm speakers in parallel to present a 4ohm load to the amp, if that helps with speaker selection.
[/quote]

They only make the Fane in 8 ohm, and i couldnt find another driver that could match the spec and price of the Fane

Fane can make 4R drivers and do for most models. The problem is that like most manufacturers, they only publish the specs for 8R and all the other parameters will change.

4R is usually a special run and whether anyone will do a run of four is debatable. However contact Fane and ask if they can, and do they have the TS secs for the 4R version.

You might be surprised!

Edited by Chienmortbb

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1474748833' post='3140275']
If Bill says there's no perceivable volume difference between using four x 4 ohm drivers and four x 8 ohm drivers, i may as well just get the 8 ohm type ?
[/quote]I would. You never know if at some point you might want to use it with a second cab.

I looked at building a 2x8 with these a few years back. I saved the model on WinISD so I can give you some pointers. A 4x8 with these would actually be epically loud, assuming your 600W amp will produce 400W into 8ohms that would give you just over 124dB to play with. As as rule of thumb I reckon 120dB will enable you to keep up with a drummer. The downside is that they won't have the bas response of a lot of bigger bass speakers, nevertheless depending upon the cab you would expect them to only be 10dB down @ 50Hz. which is respectable. The response curve looks pretty good for bass too, though the top end peak is shifted up an octave so expect them to sound 'bright' or 'clean' depending upon your prejudices. Xmax (excursion)is good for such little drivers and with four you shouldn't be over driving them so you could get away with a little bass boost which would give you fairly credible bass. That would work particularly well with a sealed cab of about 30litres. They'd also work well with a ported cab which would give you a bit more bass with a flat eq, though I'd be worried about over excursion if you applied too much bass eq. with these drivers in a ported cab.

Getting it in one piece might a minor miracle as it looks glued. Wont know till i try though

This might be take a while but will def keep you informed Phil. I had great advice from you techies when i wanted to fit the Beyma SN 110's into old Peavey TX cabs and they turned out great

In which case it is only a bit of wood but the principle of being able to get back to original may be worthwhile. When you come to fitting the new baffle put in some 1" batten and screw the new baffle to that. If you want to change it then you simply have to undo the screws.

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1474844100' post='3141032']
They do look amazing, you're right, but at over 2.5 x times the price of the Fanes at £111 each x 4 ( £444 ) + £15 delivery = £459 ...ouch !

Only 2 chances of me buying those - fat chance and no chance :)
[/quote]

Two Faital Pro's would probably out perform 4 Fanes and save some weight