Why become a member? ×

New York Bass Shops

philw

No, I don't mean new bass shops in the picturesque city of York, I mean bass retail hot spots to go mooching around in New York city.

You see, I find myself, from tomorrow, with a week long stay in New York, and when not sitting around in coffee shops working on my laptop (no, really, I have work to do) I'll have a bit of time to kill. So, along with seeing a few sights and visiting a few galleries and museums, which bass shops does the great collective wisdom of Basschat reckon are worth a visit? I'm not planning on buying anything (famous last words), but it would be fun just to look. Any recommendations?

P

I had a day to spare after a business trip last summer and did a tour of the guitar shops. I wouldn't bother with the new big Guitar Center down by MSG - it was pretty dull.

Rudy's had just opened a new store in (IIRC) Greenwich Village and the owner of the old store was telling me that they generally have the nicer vintage stuff there, so that would be worth a visit.

As well as all of the above, try emailing Fodera, they're mid-Brooklyn and usually happy to give a tour, although they prefer certain days (think I went on a tuesday).
Lovely team and very cool workshop, you never know who you might bump into too :)

Si

Definitely pop down to Sadowsky. I went with a mate when I visited last October, and walked out with a phenomenal NYC Strat type guitar. A month later, back in the UK, I'd bought a Metro bass as well as I was so blown away with the thing. Roger and co were fantastic and very hospitable.