Why become a member? ×

Warwick Thumb GAS - advice please

spectoremg

Be careful about the ergonomics with the NT versions (I've had a NT4 and NT5). The first position is a few frets further away. The BO versions are a bit closer, but still take a while to get used to when swapping from say, a streamer.

However that being said the tone is the best I've heard with everything set flat, really thick and organic!

[quote name='jimbobothy' timestamp='1474703832' post='3139911']
Be careful about the ergonomics with the NT versions (I've had a NT4 and NT5). The first position is a few frets further away. The BO versions are a bit closer, but still take a while to get used to when swapping from say, a streamer.

However that being said the tone is the best I've heard with everything set flat, really thick and organic!
[/quote]Many thanks. There's this on eBay for £1295/best offer EMG loaded.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361734979734?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Edited by spectoremg

I had a NT5 from 1991, the most un-ergonomic bass I have ever had due to what was said above: the 1st position is really far.
The sound was thin and while I wanted to like that bass as it was nice and with some tweaking I could get some useful tomes out of it I eventually sold it.
I think I sold for around 1000 GBP or such.
Interestingly some of the best fretless sounds I've heard were on Thumb fretlesses.

I have an early NT6. Wanted one since I was a lad and bought one in lovely condition a few years back. Its about the same weight as a baby grand piano so its my 'sitting down bass'. On the other hand the build quality is as good as my Fodera and it has a bottom B that is so clear punchy and deep that its almost digital, you could kill a pig with it at 50 yards.

Is it practical, is it good at everything, is it going up in value? no - but its that bass I always wanted in the day and now I can enjoy it.

If you want one do it because you want to.

Lovely basses - if you like that Warwick sound then definitely go for it. I've seen thumbs go for between 1200 & 1600 depending on construction/year/condition.

The playing position for most Warwicks is completely different to traditional style Fender type shapes (as stated above) - you're looking at everything being around two frets further away, this isn't a problem in itself but some people do struggle with the transition.

[quote name='pmjos' timestamp='1475164412' post='3143664']

If you want one do it because you want to.
[/quote]Totally agree. I owned an BO fiver years ago and got rid of it because I couldn't get on with a 5-string. It had a weedy sound (those models have two bridge pickups IMO) and it could out-neck dive an ostrich. I saw Cass Lewis with one in '87 and got GAS before it was called GAS. The 4-string models look effing gorgeous. I just want one!

I've got this Custom Shop Thumb NT.
At the time a one-off finish - gloss walnut, or so I was told, anyway. Shops will tell you anything.

It's lovely to play - shallow, wide neck, stack knob controls. 26 frets (though I don't play up the dusty end much of the time).
As much bottom as you could want.

Worth spending the money on.

good opportunity to show mine off I think!

1985 - one of the super early ones with the short horn. This one has has the active seymore duncans and a solid mother-of-pearl truss rod cover that signified what was the closest they got to a custom shop back in 1985... but they can't remember who it was built for....

anyway - everything is about 3-4 frets further left, the ergonomics are different, you'll want a suede or something strap that doesn't move... but they sound awesome. My one is like a kinda like a funky jazz bass but with a big fat angry bottom that means a P bass lover like me likes it

Interestingly I've only seen two other 1985 short horn thumb bass with the seymore duncans, one was was a fretless owned by a certain Mr Bruce ...

[quote name='12stringbassist' timestamp='1475410178' post='3145677']
I've got this Custom Shop Thumb NT.
At the time a one-off finish - gloss walnut, or so I was told, anyway. Shops will tell you anything.

It's lovely to play - shallow, wide neck, stack knob controls. 26 frets (though I don't play up the dusty end much of the time).
As much bottom as you could want.

Worth spending the money on.

[/quote]That's gorgeous!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1475438438' post='3145942']

1985 - one of the super early ones with the short horn. This one has has the active seymore duncans and a solid mother-of-pearl truss rod cover that signified what was the closest they got to a custom shop back in 1985... but they can't remember who it was built for....

anyway - everything is about 3-4 frets further left, the ergonomics are different, you'll want a suede or something strap that doesn't move... but they sound awesome. My one is like a kinda like a funky jazz bass but with a big fat angry bottom that means a P bass lover like me likes it

Interestingly I've only seen two other 1985 short horn thumb bass with the seymore duncans, one was was a fretless owned by a certain Mr Bruce ...
[/quote]Had rubber grips around the neck of my strap when I had a 5-string.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1475438438' post='3145942']

1985 - one of the super early ones with the short horn. [/quote]

Love that short horn, I wonder if it is possible to retro one of mine.
Are those switches on the pickups, what do they do?

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1475500762' post='3146401']
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222268066829?_trksid=p2060353.m2763.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Any thoughts guys? Bank transfer or cash on collection.
[/quote]

Fair price for a NT in very good nick. That bubinga pommelle is stunning. I would feel better about it if the payment terms were different though..
Try and speak to the guy, even on the phone prior to committing yourself. Should put your mind at ease or help you decide it's not for you...

[quote name='goingdownslow' timestamp='1475448005' post='3146053']

[/quote]

Of course it would but think how it could affect balance.
If you did do it the best thing to do to acheive the best finish would be to refinish the bass at the same time. not difficult either if you have the right tools and aptitude.

I had a 6 string thumb with a bolt on broadneck briefly - it was a truly stunning instrument but neither the 6 strings not the broadneck was for me so I moved it on.
Will post some pics later...

Edited by dyerseve

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1475526185' post='3146713']
Fair price for a NT in very good nick. That bubinga pommelle is stunning. I would feel better about it if the payment terms were different though..
Try and speak to the guy, even on the phone prior to committing yourself. Should put your mind at ease or help you decide it's not for you...
[/quote]Thanks. The terms make me nervous but they come along quite often. It is a stunner though.

Edited by spectoremg

[quote name='goingdownslow' timestamp='1475448005' post='3146053']
[/quote]
I wouldn't, when I emailed Warwick to ask about the truss rod cover Hans mentioned that it was one of the one's where he had made a mistake in the design and made the horn too short.
As it happens in my example it doesn't matter too much as it balances quite well.

Switches trim the top end and put a boost around the cut off freq.