Why become a member? ×

Acoustic Image Clarus SL-R

Mr Bassman

I love Acoustic Image combos, I'm on my 4th, which is a 2 channel Coda with removable head.

As I play several gigs where I plug direct into P.A. or house bass amp I started taking the Clarus head to use as a pre amp, which means I ca have full control of my sound.

It doesn't weigh much but it's too large to fit in a gig bag so I started looking at alternatives and ordered the Fishman Plat Pro. That didn't sound as good, in fact it was disappointing.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I ordered a Clarus SL-R from Laurence at Acoustic Image U.K.

I love it! It's tiny weeny, weighs next to nothing, has built in reverb etc (great for fretless or EUB), 600 watts but most of all sounds amazing.

I've used it just as a pre-amp with my Eminence upright (Fishman Full Circle) & Rob Allen Mouse and have been very pleased with the results.

A friend has lent me an Acoustic Image Flex pre amp

It's an amazing piece of kit, so far I've used it on 2 gigs into the p.a. without a bass amp.

Tonight i'm going to try it as a mixer for female vocals (with reverb) & piano into my Bose L1 Compact and use the Clarus SL-R with cab for my bass.

Will be quality sound & easy carry.

[quote name='Mr Bassman' timestamp='1475247733' post='3144435']
Yes, if I can get there I'll bring the Flex Pre and the Clarus SL-R
Won't know for definite until tomorrow but I'm hopeful.
What time does it start?
[/quote]

I think we are aiming to roll in at about 10am, but it is all very flexible :)

• 5 weeks later...

Thread re-ignition here .... If a new amp is going to cost as much as a post brexit AI Contra S4 (now £1074 at Thomann) has anyone compared the AI amps to the AER Amp One (now £1276).

I've tried an AER One with my Wal (and various Scheckter basses that were in the shop ... not nice) and the AER was pretty good - but maybe a bit lacking in punch. Think it would be very nice with my double bass.

Maybe waiting for a London Bass Show or another bass bash to try one of course as no-one with an actual shop seems to stock either of them (AER HQ on Denmark St being an exception).

I have an AER One, which I also use with a 5-string Wal fretless as well as my DB. I also have the AI Clarus +, which I use with one (or two) Crazy 8(s).

The AER is definitely a one-for-all solution and I have gigged with it extensively, You have identified a problem that can be overcome and that is experimenting with the EQ; you can get it to be punchy with both DB and EB as well as an unlimited palette of colours. The AI is clean and transparent without trying to dial in that clarity - indeed, it is difficult to get a muddy tone from the settings, whereas you have to be careful with the AER. I can use the AER without a pre-amp, but then again I laso have an GK MB 200 that I can also use (with a Crazy 8) without a pre-amp.

I prefer the flexibility and I also can use the 2 Crazy 8s as a small PA or acoustic amp for my classical guitar performance, which the AER would not match.

Thanks Phil, that's really helpful .. and glad to know it wasn't just me or my bass that rendered the Aer a bit dull. I did find the colour and boost buttons improved things, but frankly, endless knob twiddling to get the perfect time is one reason my trace Elliott is facing replacement. Need to find an AI showroom!

[quote name='NickA' timestamp='1478025808' post='3166155'] Need to find an AI showroom![/quote]

Where are you located? I have an AI Focus 1 you could borrow. Not sure how different the eq section is from today's amps but your welcome to check it out. PM me if need be.

• 3 weeks later...