Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB3000

ChunkyMunky

After trying Cetera's Yamaha BB3000, I pretty much fell in love with the tone and feel of it. Although most know me as a Musicman zealot, I found this bass to be truly gorgeous. Anyone else owned one of these? How much should I expect to find one for about? I'd love to get one, string it up with some flats (the Sadowsky ones I tried were truly gorgeous, of which I must thank OBBM for letting me try) and have fun with it.

Not had the pleasure of trying one of these high end BBs, but I have owned a BB300, BB350F, BB450 and BB614. Still got the 350F. All great basses, all had a good sound and ergonomics.

At some point I'd like to get an older neck thru BB. The one I fancy is the BB1200s - don't really care about bridge pickups that much :)

I've had three over the last thirty years, all MIJ. First one was stolen, the second I swapped for a Warwick Streamer (I have no idea why either !), and my current is a black one from the limited edition run of 40 units that Yamaha did for the Japanese market only. Bought here on BC from 'BB2000', back in August '09.

One of the best bass guitars ever. The quality of the BB3000 is very apparent as soon as you touch it, absolutely top notch... and you have that sound.

If you play a precision, it's definitely one to put on the bucket list. If you can't get away with the dimensions of the Fender the Yamaha may not be for you. I sold mine as I couldn't get on with the string spacing and the pickup width. Shame really, it was one of my dream guitars.

• 3 months later...

How old can a BB3000 be? I had a Yammy very similar to this in 1984. It had 1 vol knob and 1 tone knob and a switch to switch on the 'active' setting. It was a lovely guitar but I sold it on cos the active electronics switch made a loud popping noise from the amp when activated....a problem that I thought at the time was solely due to the guitar....but now in retrospect could have been due to an issue with the amp!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='Grahambythesea' timestamp='1489838542' post='3260204']
Is Mac plying one in this photo of wings?
[/quote]

That's a BB1200. It's single pickup (reverse P), neck-thru, less bling than the BB3000 though same pedigree, just a different price point.

There is a BB1600 too, which is similar to the BB3000 however that has a bolt-on neck.
The BB2000 was like a BB3000 with a reverse P and less bling.

All different flavours of the same excellent concept.