Why become a member? ×

Westone Thunder 1A pre-amp

Grangur

Hi all,
I've been mucking about with the pre-amp in my Thunder. At the moment it's distorted in active mode. It sounds like it's going through a Big Muff. I'm struggling to find the problem.

What I'd like to ask is does anyone actually play using the pre-amp in a Westone Thunder 1A?

To me the function is quirky, but not a useful as a simple bass/mid/treble would be. To change it to this, I'd need to rout and drill another hole, but would this make it more user friendly?

Thoughts?

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1474825817' post='3140841']
You could try a treble/bass stacked pot then you'd use the existing three holes for vol, treb/bass, mid if you go for a three band preamp.
[/quote]
Fair point. Do you know where I can get a stacked pot with 50K impedance on each?

Best Bass Gear in the USA do one, but you're looking at $19 plus shipping and taxes.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1474892229' post='3141255']
Seems too obvious but have you tried changing the battery? I had one years ago and IIRC when the battery was low the bass sounded like it was through a distortion pedal...
[/quote]
Thanks Mick, but yes, I think the pre-amp may be beyond repair really.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1474891376' post='3141244']
I think you might struggle to find anything cheaper for a 50K stack pot - another option is remove the active on/off toggle and enlarge the hole to take another pot. Are you keeping the dual tone (coil tap) toggle?
[/quote]

That's a thought. The other switch doesn't really do much. So it wouldn't be much of a loss.
I'd like to keep one of the switches as a passive/active switch.

I have a pre-amp from a Warwick Rockbass. It's actually designed for a 2 pup bass. So I don't know if I'll use that. the other alternative could be to use a pre-amp like the one used in the Musicman Sabre.

I don't think it has shaping. TBH I have a bass with shaping and it all seems a bit complicated for a simple bass noob like me.

That said\; the MM Sabre Pre calls for a 1M Reverse Log pot. Don't know where I can get one of those.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1474905922' post='3141422']
You've not mentioned what preamp you're thinking of using (so I don't know what options it offers) but if you keep a passive/active switch do you intend to run the pickup with no tone shaping?
[/quote]

I've been playing around with the electronics tonight. I connected the pickup straight to a jack. The output quality was so much better than anything I ever heard from this through the pre-amp.
Now, having connected it back, it won't output anything now, without the batteries fitted. There's certainly something weird going on with this.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1474974950' post='3141917']
Have you tried googling 'Westone thunder 1a preamp schematic' ?

I just did that and there are wiring diagrams out there. They mean absolutely nothing to me at all, but might be a starting point for getting your problem sorted.
[/quote]
Many thanks for your input. You mean like this one?

That's a diagram for how to wire the bass, treating the preamp as a "black box".

What I'm needing would look more like this:

If you've found one then I'll be really grateful for a link. Many thanks

I think a few people thought the same as you with the functionality of the preamp controls and either prefer without, or want one that works well.

Do you have a closeup picture of your preamp? It could be an old cap going, or a dry,poor solder joint causing the problem. When i got hold of a preamp, i think the underside (with all the solder) was in a poor state, i managed to re solder a few points and it started working again. Maybe try that. Though im sure someone out there may want the preamp if you dont, even broken.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1474907316' post='3141440']
...the other alternative could be to use a pre-amp like the one used in the Musicman Sabre.
[/quote]

Also a 'quirky' design !

Anything from the Artec stable be of interest ? I've used them in a few basses and have been impressed, lots of options.

http://www.artecsound.com/pickups/index.html