Why become a member? ×

Preamp pedal search

sirmuppet

Hi all. I'm currently using a Tech 21 Sansamp Deluxe direct into the return of my Orange bass terrors effects loop. I get a great sound except for one thing, a lack of treble. It seems that in that department it just doesn't go high enough for me.

Has anyone out there used a pedal that sounds similar to the BDDI but has more treble? I used to have the VT bass but found it lack bottom end and when I tried the BDDI I switched. I only really use one channel on the Deluxe so I don't require a pre-amp pedal with multiple channels etc...

Thanks.

Just for clarification, when you say it doesn't go high enough, do you mean the treble frequencies which it boosts aren't in a high enough range or just that it doesn't offer enough boost from the treble control?

Either way, my suggestion would be to try adding an EHX Steel Leather pedal to what you have.
When I was using a cheap Behringer head for a short while, I found the Steel Leather made a massive difference to my bass' presence in the mix - really cuts through!

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1474837813' post='3140987']
Just for clarification, when you say it doesn't go high enough, do you mean the treble frequencies which it boosts aren't in a high enough range or just that it doesn't offer enough boost from the treble control?

Either way, my suggestion would be to try adding an EHX Steel Leather pedal to what you have.
When I was using a cheap Behringer head for a short while, I found the Steel Leather made a massive difference to my bass' presence in the mix - really cuts through!
[/quote]

I basically don't get high end. The level is fine but not a high enough frequency. I'll checkout the steel leather but I'm more looking to replace it rather than add it.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1474838168' post='3140992']
You're plugging in to the Orange OBC115? - I suspect that could be where your problem is as the single 15" speaker doesn't really 'do' treble. It doesn't have a tweeter either.
[/quote]

That was my first though until I plugged a different head in and went directly into it. That speaker was able to produce the desired amount of treble. I am looking at a 4x10 to see if I can get the frequency I want from my current setup but though looking at a different pedal now knowing the cab can produce it might be a different avenue to explore.

The Behringer BDI21 is very similar to the Sansamp but is a bit "toppier" in its sound. Plus at only £30 or so it`s not an expensive experiment, and always worth having around in just in case.

That said if you were able to get the required sound from the different head, but with the rest of your set-up, well one of those amp-heads would be the way to go methinks.

Also I've not had much luck using the fx loop in my OTB. The level is insanely high, you need a preamp pedal with a lot of output. The Sansamp does have that boost switch though.

Have you tried going straight into the amp front end? Try maxing the mids and treble and lower the bass to 9 o'clock, it's a strange EQ that one.

I tried going straight into my Terror head but it's a pretty dark sounding amp and I'm sure those EQ controls on the front are just for show, lol.

The head I got the nice tone out of wasn't powerful enough to gig with. That said I think I have found my solution.

I run my bass wireless from a smoothhound into a pitchblack custom, then into the Sansamp deluxe then into a banshee 2 then to the return of my terrors effects loop. If I use the parallel out from the sansamp to go direct to the banshee then the output of my sansamp goes direct to the return of the terror I get a really good sound. So I think the banshee was sapping a bit of the top end. I did notice the other gig that when on there was a slight drop in output to the amp. So problem solved all round.

I have purchased a B7K from a user on here. Would be cool to see if it's any better than the sansamp or a good drive in itself.