Why become a member? ×

Things To Think About Before Joining A Working Band

blue

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1474999966' post='3142214']
In no particular order, the questions I suggest to ask before investing (time, money, energy) in ANY business:

1. Corporate structure - Boss and employees? Partnership?
2. Unique selling point (USP) - What differentiates you from the competition?
3. Cash turnover - The top line.
4. Business model - What's it about? Fun? Money? Self-esteem?
[/quote]

All good questions.

This might seem like a waste of time exercise. However, I have seen veterans , guys that have been out there gigging for 40 plus years join the wrong band.

All because they didn't ask questions and we're blind sighted. Like driving 3 hours one way for a $75.00 a man gig.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='KK Jale' timestamp='1475000507' post='3142223']
There are some quite good ones in this thread.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/275408-4-question-you-would-ask-a-new-prospective-band/page__hl__band__fromsearch__1
[/quote]

...and I asked my same 4 questions in that thread too, but in a different order.

[quote name='Kirky' timestamp='1474923868' post='3141600']

This tells you a lot about what you need to know. I'd also ask about the writing/song selection process.
[/quote]

Yes. The band I'm in has a song selection policy which has become increasingly apparent as time has gone on: that is to say, if the singer suggests it, it goes in to the set. If anyone else suggests anything, it gets thrown out, unless the singer likes it, in which case it goes in. I don't think this is something you can question at the point of joining a band as it's an organic situation that evolves over time as inter-band relationships settle, especially if the band has a 'leader'. I wish I could've asked this question though, as the way things are I'm becoming frustrated and the first thoughts of a possible exit are forming in my mind, but that's another thread...

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1475017947' post='3142416']

Yes. The band I'm in has a song selection policy which has become increasingly apparent as time has gone on: that is to say, if the singer suggests it, it goes in to the set. If anyone else suggests anything, it gets thrown out, unless the singer likes it, in which case it goes in. I don't think this is something you can question at the point of joining a band as it's an organic situation that evolves over time as inter-band relationships settle, especially if the band has a 'leader'. I wish I could've asked this question though, as the way things are I'm becoming frustrated and the first thoughts of a possible exit are forming in my mind, but that's another thread...
[/quote]

Might be a good thread;

"How To Diplomatically Exit From Your Band"

Blue

Edited by blue

Can I have a bowl of m&m's at each gig with the green ones taken out ?

--

Some questions to add ..

How do we determine if future booking dates are viable , do we get to say no to a date before gigs are confirmed. (Goes in line with amount of gigs expected to play)

For gigs with good paydays and where we can't let the client down last minute (weddings etc) what are the backup plans for deps etc

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1475017947' post='3142416']
Yes. The band I'm in has a song selection policy which has become increasingly apparent as time has gone on: that is to say, if the singer suggests it, it goes in to the set. If anyone else suggests anything, it gets thrown out, unless the singer likes it, in which case it goes in.
[/quote]

To a certain extent , I think this is OK - the singer is the focal point of the band and 99.99999% of the time, all the average pub audience is actually listening to. If they don't like the song, it'll be immediately apparent in their performance to any discerning audience, it doesn't matter if the band nails it, if the singer ain't delivering, the song will be rubbish, IMHO.

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1475154822' post='3143510']

To a certain extent , I think this is OK - the singer is the focal point of the band and 99.99999% of the time, all the average pub audience is actually listening to. If they don't like the song, it'll be immediately apparent in their performance to any discerning audience, it doesn't matter if the band nails it, if the singer ain't delivering, the song will be rubbish, IMHO.
[/quote]

That's correct up to a point. Our singer won't even listen to a tune he's never heard before as it'll mean he would have to learn it.

When I pointed out that the rest of the band had to learn all the other tunes, he replied, "but you're musicians, it's what you do". :rolleyes:

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1475161273' post='3143606']
That's correct up to a point. Our singer won't even listen to a tune he's never heard before as it'll mean he would have to learn it.

When I pointed out that the rest of the band had to learn all the other tunes, he replied, "but you're musicians, it's what you do". :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Ha! Brilliant logic at work there.

I totally get the whole lazy band members thing, our singer stays in the van while we set everything up, and then goes back to the van while we pack everything down. She is bloody good mind you. And does all the bookings, gets the cash at the end of the night and divvys up, etc. So I don't really mind. Always hated the admin part of being in a band (apart form doing my books for the HMRC of course).

There's another question to add to the list - Do all band members help with load in/out and setup?

This has got me thinking. I was asked to join a band recently and I didn't ask any of these questions.
If the set list is sh*t but they make big bucks I can compromise. If the set list is great and the money is sh*t I can compromise.
But if the set list is sh*t and so is the money......nah!

[quote name='sbrag' timestamp='1475162100' post='3143620']
Question from me after my last band is am I expected to pay a joining fee to cover my share of lights/pa etc. Auditioned, liked it got the gig and was told I needed to chip in a week or so later.
[/quote]

What? For gear that was already owned by the band? Jog on!

Question from me after my last band is am I expected to pay a joining fee to cover my share of lights/pa etc. Auditioned, liked it got the gig and was told I needed to chip in a week or so later.
[/quote]

Not really workable....

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1475162581' post='3143627']

What? For gear that was already owned by the band? Jog on!
[/quote]
Previous bass player had his share paid back when he left and new bass player is expected to pay in. I guess it links to the other thread on here at the moment of who owns the pa etc. I'm a firm belier that it's easier if certain people own certain things but all questions I'll ask up front In future.

I did join and it all worked out ok.

[/quote]

Asking if there is a band fund is a good question. Personally, l prefer not to get involved with band funds.

Once a band wanted me to shell out cash to cover part the cost of producing their CD, which I was not on.

I told the BL to pound salt.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='sbrag' timestamp='1475172563' post='3143783']
Previous bass player had his share paid back when he left and new bass player is expected to pay in. I guess it links to the other thread on here at the moment of who owns the pa etc. I'm a firm belier that it's easier if certain people own certain things but all questions I'll ask up front In future.

I did join and it all worked out ok.
[/quote]

Good to hear it worked out, but that really should have been stipulated up front to any potential new member IMHO.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1475162069' post='3143619']
This has got me thinking. I was asked to join a band recently and I didn't ask any of these questions.
If the set list is sh*t but they make big bucks I can compromise. If the set list is great and the money is sh*t I can compromise.
[b]But if the set list is sh*t and so is the money......nah![/b]
[/quote]

I don't even know why that would be up for debate...