Why become a member? ×

Things To Think About Before Joining A Working Band

blue

An old topic, but a good one to revisit.

First and foremost, it's probably not a good idea to join a band if you haven't defined or even know what you're looking for in a band.

You probably have a life outside of music and playing bass. What can you realistically commit to?

Make sure you ask questions. Here are a few of my favorites.

1. How long has the band been together

2. Tell me about turnover, how long has your current line up been in tact.

3. How many gigs did the band play last year.

4. How much travel is involved.

5. Do you book through an agency or book yourselves

6. Does the band own commercial grade lights and sound

7. Why did the last bass player leave

8. How is the band paid, equal split or is there a heirachy system

Those are 8 pretty basic questions, there are more. What questions do you ask?

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1474922265' post='3141585']
An old topic, but a good one to revisit.

First and foremost, it's probably not a good idea to join a band if you haven't defined or even know what you're looking for in a band.

You probably have a life outside of music and playing bass. What can you realistically commit to?

Make sure you ask questions. Here are a few of my favorites.

1. How long has the band been together

8. How is the band paid, equal split or is there a heirachy system

Those are 8 pretty basic questions, there are more. What questions do you ask?

Blue
[/quote]

If only I saw this a couple of months ago...

[quote name='Kirky' timestamp='1474923868' post='3141600']

This tells you a lot about what you need to know. I'd also ask about the writing/song selection process.
[/quote]

Definitely an important question for those joining originals bands and want involvement in song writing and band management.

Blue

That's a great list of questions.

[size=2]1. How long has the band been together.
8. How is the band paid, equal split or is there a heirachy system[/size]

My last band comprised a father and son + a bassist (dangerous territory as you will always be outvoted and they stick together like glue). Their old bass player left because the workload was too heavy. I think they did 80 or so gigs the year before I joined. I got exactly 100 gigs in last year (though a couple were with another band). The travel gets daft - they would go anywhere for money. The drummer did nearly all of the bookings. The lighting was a small 4 bulb lamp, pointed at the drums, leaving the guitar and bass in the dark. Pay was pretty much equal less some small rounding up in drummer's favour - but he sent posters and got them printed etc.

The question raised about song selection is a very important one. I struggled to get my choice of songs in, as they hadn't heard of groups like Suede or Cheap Trick and they very much 'did what they did' and ideas came from one place only. Frustrating, but I just knuckled down and took the dosh until I had had enough of this foolishness myself. After being the driving force of a previous band, to be treated as 'an also ran' in that band rankled, but the money compensated.

Edited by 12stringbassist

Thus might seem picky, but I'm not a "stand back by the drummer" bass player.

I require upfront premium real estate on stage and allowed to provide backing vocals. If that's not possible the band is not a natch for me.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='12stringbassist' timestamp='1474926367' post='3141624']
My last band comprised a father and son + a bassist (dangerous territory as you will always be outvoted and they stick together like glue).
[/quote]

Was wondering why you'd bagged it Ian.

Looking forward ti catching the new one.

That's a great list of questions.

The question raised about song selection is a very important one. I struggled to get my choice of songs in, as they hadn't heard of groups like Suede or Cheap Trick and they very much 'did what they did' and ideas came from one place only. Frustrating, but I just knuckled down and took the dosh until I had had enough of this foolishness myself. After being the driving force of a previous band, to be treated as 'an also ran' in that band rankled, but the money compensated.
[/quote]

Thanks 12 String.

A good example of how were all different and want and require different things from bands.

I'm not really big on song selection or band management. It's nothing I think I'm particularly good with. I can offer experience, solid committed bass playing and backing vocals.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1474931144' post='3141673']
I would ask how long my gigs were... And if they were free.

If they were 4 hours and i had to haul gear for free I wouldn't bother
[/quote]

Doubt that would actually happen. However asking the band's position on free gigs might be an important question for some.

Blue

Good list of questions. I just plunged in head first (when I was playing sax) and went straight from amateur to heavy gigging band almost instantly. Still great fun though... and I would ask those questions now.

I won't be joining another band, but now I would ask about gear-hauling and tearing down. My main requirement, post-gig is to tear down and bog off home asap. My very last band would want to sit around drinking beer and luxuriating in the fans' attention... sometimes even coming back the next day to clear up the gear. Not for me.

Probably not a question but, I'd be looking at their web presence. Facebook, Website, YouTube.

That may then lead to a whole host of other questions.

I'd also ask about the setlist and whether it was regularly refreshed and kept up to date with current music. I'm happy playing old favourites but I'm finding more and more younger people want 'something they know'. While they do actually know Beatles and Stones, they do want to hear something more modern as well.

How early do you get to gigs? I'm ok with an hour and a half, any more than that when it's their choice is a bit of a no no. If it's a wedding that's requesting it, then that's a different matter, but don't want to get to gigs ridiculously early and hang around waiting to go on.

Edited by TimR

I think they did 80 or so gigs the year before I joined. I got exactly 100 gigs in last year (though a couple were with another band).
[/quote]

100 gigs per year would probably be too much for me. Even allowing a bit of time off for holidays its pretty much twice a week every week. The problem then is getting time to freshen up the set list bringing new material in.

[quote name='Trueno' timestamp='1474963136' post='3141769']
Good list of questions. I just plunged in head first (when I was playing sax) and went straight from amateur to heavy gigging band almost instantly. Still great fun though... and I would ask those questions now.

I won't be joining another band, but now I would ask about gear-hauling and tearing down. My main requirement, post-gig is to tear down and bog off home asap. My very last band would want to sit around drinking beer and luxuriating in the fans' attention... sometimes even coming back the next day to clear up the gear. Not for me.
[/quote]

We're a get paid, tear down thank the owner, leave and hopefully get home by 2:30am.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1474970617' post='3141862']
Is the music any good?

And can you get on with whoever is responsible for writing the lyrics and doing the singing?

Everything else can be fixed after you join.
[/quote]

Not if they don't want you to fix it or better yet you were hired to play bass and they don't want your input.

A good example of why you need to know what your looking for and ask question so you know if the band will afford you those opportunities.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1474992021' post='3142130']
First thing I'd ask is "What music are y'all into?"
I remember putting an ad in a few years ago for musicians for an originals band that was influenced by Funkadelic, Motorhead and Ornette Coleman.
I got 2 guys turning up wanting to do Beatles covers!
[/quote]

Yes, what genre or kind of music the band plays would be first and foremost.

For me business trumps genre.

Blue

In no particular order, the questions I suggest to ask before investing (time, money, energy) in ANY business:

1. Corporate structure - Boss and employees? Partnership?
2. Unique selling point (USP) - What differentiates you from the competition?
3. Cash turnover - The top line.
4. Business model - What's it about? Fun? Money? Self-esteem?