Why become a member? ×

Interference from pedal power supplies

Muppet

So I have this pedal - it takes a 9v centre negative supply, no batteries. Power supply comes with it. Works fine plugged in to any amplifier or recording interface.

It has a switch that changes the mono 1/4" out to a dual mono signal designed for use with headphones.

When using headphones there is awful buzz like poor grounding. I've tried a number of different power supplies and the noise goes away by using the Diago Powerstation. All other supplies give this noise, but only when using headphones.

Tried the usual - changed leads, different wall sockets etc...

Any ideas why this one power supply alleviates the problem or, conversely, why all the others cause it?

Manufacturer doesn't know. I'm about to return it....

Hi Chris sorry for the delay in replying. Yes exactly that. I'm using the power supply that came with it. You'd have thought they'd have checked? I did email the distributor who basically told me to email Tech21. I did that too and they said "sorry must be your UK voltage"... I'll check out another power supply!

Cheers

Steve

Hi Muppet - I found the guys at Tech 21 very helpful, it will be interesting to see what they say if you contact them as well with the same problem, but yes, you would have thought that would have been sorted before they left the factory.
I bought the Raad regulated power supply off Amazon, not a cheap option but its solved the problem. I never realised those switching power supplies caused so much noise....l